Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 05:18 PM

622 posts, read 1,716,545 times

Advertisements

Thanks. I guess I'll just collect it from the river and not have it in my garden..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 08:43 AM

13,396 posts, read 44,908,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Mint is my current favorite plant I love to hate because it cannot be controlled. Even if contained in a planter pot, mint will sneak out surreptitiously and into the surrounding ground, leeching its way far and wide overtaking everything.

I keep mint in pots on cement and that seems to do the trick.
I love the different forms of mint (pineapple, orange, chocolate etc) and it is a must for mojitos.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherPride View Post
I keep cats and am wondering if Catnip is invasive, I planted it. I suppose it is because I've seen it grow wild.
Another short answer: Catnip is a form of mint.

We have clumping bamboo and it has not encroached out of its little spot in the 2 and a half years since we planted it.

Years and years ago, we learned the hard way about raspberries. They were indeed delicious, but we should have somehow enclosed them and/or contained them. Instead, year after year, we ended up dealing with the runners.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:45 AM

259,023 posts, read 90,268,049 times
Raspberries in rows. Mow the middles short and the perimeter short. Raspberries are usually hard to grow in lots of places. Wild blackberries are native but getting harder to find.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:27 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,808,813 times
I planted some mint seeds in a pot and so far only have ONE teeny green shoot LOL Supposedly mint is one of the easiest things to grow, but you can't tell from my efforts.

Should the rest decide to grow I'll certainly keep it in a pot.

Old 05-19-2010, 06:13 PM

Invasives curtainly are taking over and its up to us to stop them, one yard at a time,lol.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:37 PM

205 posts, read 477,440 times
Easier said than done. For example here is a pic of my back yard that lesser celandine has taken over. It's not going well.

Old 05-20-2010, 04:37 PM

roundup then i guess

Old 05-21-2010, 03:18 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,669,573 times
I enjoy english ivy so I put mine in a planter on top of a decorative rock. That way I can kep it in check. I was surprised that it lived through the winter in the planter.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:38 PM

41,749 posts, read 74,742,297 times
What about mint? Catnip? Oregano? Or maple trees? Dangit, I'm always pulling maple seedlings out of my garden ... Stupid neighbors and their trees. While we're at it, why don't we put warnings on the neighborhood squirrels, who bury walnuts and acorns in my garden, and I'm forever yanking up oak and walnut seedlings. Harumph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
If I had a neighbor who planted mint, I'd spray the neighbors yard with 2-4-5 T in the dark of night. Might spray the neighbor too.
Touch my mint and I'll torch your house.

Old 05-23-2010, 03:12 PM

111 posts, read 324,988 times
There is a difference between "invasive" and "pain in the butt" plants. Invasive is a pain in the butt AND dangerous to the native flora and fauna, and that is why it is a serious issue. "Pain in the butt" is poison ivy and those maple seedlings you(s) are talking about- maybe aggressive and prolific, but native and not an ecological threat. You should still be careful with native "pain in the butt" plants to be considerate to your neighbors, especially vines, like Virginia Creeper and Trumpet Creeper- great for our wildlife but hard to control and something you don't want taking over your trees or yard. But "invasive" is something that people should never plant on purpose, whether or not they like their next door neighbor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden