Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 11:13 AM

1,036 posts, read 3,194,078 times

Advertisements

I've been spraying with the Ortho as recommended above, and then burying the plants with cardboard, then mulching over.

In addition to Tecnu, you can use something like Joy or Palmolive in the shower--it has degreasing properties and will disperse the oils. and it's cheaper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 11:45 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,725,619 times
This probably isn't going to be very practical for the average homeowner, but the fastest easiest way to get rid of poison ivy is: sheep.

Sheep adore poison ivy. To them it is a hot fudge sundae cheesecake banana split. Delicious.

We used to raise a few sheep to mow our back pasture. Every once in a while when weeds and poison ivy began to take over the yard, we'd let the sheep in (under strict supervision of course). They'd zoom directly for the poison ivy as soon as they got through the gate, inhaling the ivy as fast as they could go. Cleaned it up in two shakes of a lamb's tail.

But you've got to keep a careful eye on them as they love roses almost as much as poison ivy.

Old 05-06-2010, 01:13 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,194,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
This probably isn't going to be very practical for the average homeowner, but the fastest easiest way to get rid of poison ivy is: sheep.

Sheep adore poison ivy. To them it is a hot fudge sundae cheesecake banana split. Delicious.

We used to raise a few sheep to mow our back pasture. Every once in a while when weeds and poison ivy began to take over the yard, we'd let the sheep in (under strict supervision of course). They'd zoom directly for the poison ivy as soon as they got through the gate, inhaling the ivy as fast as they could go. Cleaned it up in two shakes of a lamb's tail.

But you've got to keep a careful eye on them as they love roses almost as much as poison ivy.
There's a service here in Durham that rents out goats for this purpose. I got a quote. spraying is way cheaper.

Old 05-06-2010, 01:36 PM

178 posts, read 540,493 times
I've used both the Ortho Poison Ivy killer and Roundup. Both worked, but I think the Ortho was a bit better. Since I'm terribly allergic to poison ivy I sprayed it heavily, let it die, and didn't remove all the dead vines/leaves until months later when it was deader than a doornail and then some. Of course I still used long-sleeved gloves for removal. After that I prowled the yard on a regular basis with Ortho in hand, promptly squelching the least leaf of the stuff.

Technu works for me. I've also washed with Dawn Liquid Detergent in a pinch and it worked.

Old 05-06-2010, 06:11 PM

1,424 posts, read 5,337,125 times
Why do the dead poison ivy plants need to be removed? I sprayed with Bayer Brush Killer (which I can no longer find at Lowe's, so got Roundup Brush Killer for the next go-round).

I left some dead plants in place, and really would like to avoid touching them. How come they need to come out, or do they?

Old 05-06-2010, 07:29 PM

178 posts, read 540,493 times
You don't have to remove the dead stuff unless you want to clear the space - just remember that the oils in the vines can remain poisonous for a long, long time (if broken and touched) so if you'll ever want to stick your hands near that area again, best to remove them.

Old 05-07-2010, 08:19 AM

871 posts, read 3,018,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac Farm View Post
I've used both the Ortho Poison Ivy killer and Roundup. Both worked, but I think the Ortho was a bit better. Since I'm terribly allergic to poison ivy I sprayed it heavily, let it die, and didn't remove all the dead vines/leaves until months later when it was deader than a doornail and then some. Of course I still used long-sleeved gloves for removal. After that I prowled the yard on a regular basis with Ortho in hand, promptly squelching the least leaf of the stuff.

Technu works for me. I've also washed with Dawn Liquid Detergent in a pinch and it worked.

I love it. You are my kind of pal.

I have this vivid visual of you as part of the cast roaming through the jungle in "Predator". Slow.....Quiet....Focused......Deadly.

Old 05-07-2010, 08:27 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post

Well no doubt the sheep eat the stuff as do horses, but if you noticed it was horse that spread the stuff. What goes in one end comes out the other ya know....

Are you sure the a sheep will digest this and not just plant it again?

Horses sure do.

Old 05-07-2010, 11:14 AM

44,355 posts, read 20,059,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studat4 View Post
Oh yes, Prednizone Trying to avoid that in the month of May and forever after that. Thank you for your help.

We're hoping to deal with this in the most extreme way given my medical history. I will not be able to do anything about this, but rather my husband since I can't go near it. So, with that said, is there a way to kill it once and for all so roots don't stay "viable" as you say underground only to come back? Thanks so much! ! !
I had a terrible problem with poison ivy in my yard three summers ago. I used Roundup on it and it really did the trick. I sprayed the leaves, stems and around the base of the vine, as the label said to do. I was surprised that the product actually did what the label claimed it would do! A little poison ivy showed up last year, and I took care of it right away with the Roundup I had left over from two years prior. I'm keeping a close outlook this year, and so far, no sign of poison ivy. Yippee!

Of course, when you use a product like Roundup, it also kills everything around it (can even kill a sapling tree, if you get enough of it in the ground).

Good luck, Studat!

Old 05-07-2010, 12:12 PM

169 posts, read 242,189 times
Wow! Thanks to you all for all the help. Who'd of guessed-SHEEP? ! ?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden