Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 12:46 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,982,648 times

Advertisements

I`m trying to figure out what`s going on with my lawn. I`ve been having issues with with it on and off for a couple of years now. Last year it was doing great. This year it really sucks!

I have so many dead areas and I can`t figure out why this is happening. I was thinking that it might be the salt and bad winter we had. We have Kentucky Blue and I know that this grass doesn`t do as well in salty soils. I also know that salt can kill grass. A lot of people have KB around here and don`t have my problems but some do.

We didn`t put the KB in. The people who were here before us did. I would have put in a more hardier grass for this type of soil. So I`m trying to at least keep some of it alive for awhile. Some of my grass didn`t recover from the winter. It was colder than average here.At times it got to -10 plus lots of snow and when it was melting, we had rain. At one point we had so much water that you could see it on the top of the yard.

I`ve already had people come out to see what the problem could be. We do have a company come out to fertilize it but we were having problems before they came out to fertilize. Any suggestions on what good be the problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 01:50 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,547,503 times
Without knowing where you live I wouldn't be able to help too much. Last year we had an infestation of grubs all over my area, so there were lots of us with lots of brown and dead patches. You have to treat it with grub killer then put out some new top soil and reseed. Keep it moist so seed doesn't dry out. It is almost impossible to start new grass without using additional good quality top soil if you have had a grub infestation. You can pull back some of the dead sod where your brown patches are and if you see fat white worms an inch or so long. Those are grubs.

Good luck - lawns are a challenge - this spring our back looks great and is nice and thick and green as we got the feed and weed application on early, like late April. I am in mid-Maine and we are having a bit of an early spring. The front and the area between the sidewalk and street aren't as good looking - more weeds and a few bare spots as we haven't as yet done the feed and weed there. I only use one application a year as I hate to overdue it with chemicals.

Old 05-17-2010, 03:11 PM

That`s what I was thinking but the grubs don`t start kicking in until June-July here.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:29 PM

1 posts, read 2,056 times
I have red threads that kill the grass. This is the third year, I've been using Scotts fungus, which has done nothing. What is it and what can I do? I live in Mass.

Old 06-16-2011, 05:45 AM

955 posts, read 4,089,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donald kelloway View Post
I have red threads that kill the grass. This is the third year, I've been using Scotts fungus, which has done nothing. What is it and what can I do? I live in Mass.
Red thread is a fungus disease of the lawn. Once you have it, you can't kill it, you can only control it. This is true of almost all lawn fungus diseases. There are enviromental factors that trigger an outbreak in your lawn. In our area (Erie, PA), those triggers for red thread most often occur late in the summer.
You have a couple options. You can start a preventative application program or you can treat the disease once you have an outbreak. If you buy over the counter chemicals, be sure the fungicide is labeled specifically for the control of red thread. Then follow the label instructions exactly.
If you're not sure your problem is red thread (and there are lots of lawn diseases with similar symptoms), find a professional and ask them to take care of the problem.

Last edited by Rtom45; 06-16-2011 at 06:51 AM..

Old 06-16-2011, 06:58 AM

955 posts, read 4,089,728 times
[quote=cl723;14214763]I`m trying to figure out what`s going on with my lawn. I`ve been having issues with with it on and off for a couple of years now. Last year it was doing great. This year it really sucks!

I have so many dead areas and I can`t figure out why this is happening. I was thinking that it might be the salt and bad winter we had. We have Kentucky Blue and I know that this grass doesn`t do as well in salty soils. I also know that salt can kill grass. A lot of people have KB around here and don`t have my problems but some do.

If possible, could you post a couple pictures. Also, as an earlier response suggested, its important to know what part of the country you're in. My first thought if the problem was first noticed right after the winter, is grey snow mold - especially if you had heavy snow cover for a long time. Do you have a county extension agent where you live? If so, contact them, they should be able to offer some help.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:05 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,374,809 times
Talk to a greens/grounds keeper or someone at a company that services golf courses.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:37 PM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
Contact your County Extension Service. It's part of their job to diagnose and solve ag problems.

Old 06-19-2011, 01:33 PM

I think I may have figured out the problem. Too much thatch. You would think that the people who were in the lawn business around here would recongize this problem.We raked it and fertilized it. It looks like it is doing much better. Will see what happens.

Old 06-19-2011, 02:19 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl723 View Post
I think I may have figured out the problem. Too much thatch. You would think that the people who were in the lawn business around here would recongize this problem.We raked it and fertilized it. It looks like it is doing much better. Will see what happens.
Really? You obviously expect too much of a lawn business. All they want is to put the minimum amount of treatment on your lawn for the maximum amount of profit.

I've yet to find one of these companies that is worth their salt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden