Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2010, 02:00 AM

1,790 posts, read 6,515,777 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever planted Liatris? I planted 50 bulbs about 2 mos ago and not one has come up yet. Maybe it's too early?
Attached Thumbnails
Liatris - Blazing Star-05454.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2010, 05:37 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,058,385 times
I've successfully grown it for years and this year again tried new bulbs. The ones facing north finally are showing up and the ones facing south you can barely see the tips on one. Established ones have been up for weeks. If squirrels haven't gotten to them I would give it a bit more time. One they are established, you should see alot of foliage by now. I'm in 7b. what is your zone?

I gave up on my elephant ears coming back and planted something in that place only to see the elephant ears finally peeking thru. Sometimes we are too impatient but my theory is if it's not here by the end of May it's not coming back. I've been proved wrong several times.

Old 05-29-2010, 09:43 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,749,130 times
Mine are always very late to come up every year, compared to the stuff planted around them.

Old 05-29-2010, 09:59 AM

2,063 posts, read 7,778,396 times
I planted 8 last year in April/May. Seven made it and 4 began blooming by the end of June or very early July, if I remember correctly. This year all seven are showing signs of blooms to come already. I'm on the edge of zone 7A and 6B and they are in a part of the garden that is southwest facing.

If they didn't sprout within one month and the soil is warm (you didn't say where you are or at least your zone- but looks like you might be close to mine) I have the feeling they may have been duds. They will not tolerate being wet, so if you planted in a poorly draining area or watered a lot they may have become rotten and died.

Old 05-29-2010, 08:40 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,515,777 times
Thanks all. I went and checked out the areas I planted them in and didn't see any sign of growth or even the bulbs so I fear they must have rotted. Now to find something else to plant..

Old 05-29-2010, 09:38 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,371,916 times
If you start with a plant, once it's established you can keep separating it for new plants. They seem to be very hardy and don't need any care. Attracts those giant bees though.

Old 05-30-2010, 12:55 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,749,130 times
Well, you could dig them up and look at the bulbs, see if they look rotten or if they've got any little sprouts. "Can't hurt ruint", as my elderly friend Marge used to say! Seriously, if they're not rotten and they are growing, it won't hurt to dig them up.....just replant them.

I really, really wonder about mine every year, even though they do the same thing every year!

Old 06-04-2010, 08:26 PM

360 posts, read 1,532,768 times
Default trying liatris in zone 7B

1st time trying this plant... I planted several "bulbs" in April in new raised beds, then had some leftovers with nowhere to go and didn't get them in until about 2 weeks ago. Over half of the April ones have sprouted; some are just coming up now, though. So maybe yours aren't a total loss. It does seem strange that you can't find any of them. Maybe a critter ate them? Please let us know if any ever pop up... I think I'm going to have to dig up some cannas that haven't sprouted; not sure what the problem is, as I had almost a 100% success rate in one bed and less than 25% in the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden