U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 06:05 AM

592 posts, read 1,924,440 times
Default Effects of rain versus well water

I've been watering my trees and garden for the last few weeks due to the lack of rain. Yesterday we got about 6 hours of showers, and some light rain during the night. This morning my yard, trees, and gardens look amazing. Why does rain seem to benefit plants so much more than well water? Anyone? When I lived in the city, I thought the difference had to do with the chemicals (chlorine, fluoride, etc) in the municipal water, but well water doesn't seem to help the plants much either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2007, 07:02 AM

429 posts, read 1,698,974 times
I think it may have something to do with coverage or amount. The same thing happens to my yard when it rains.
Also when you water, it's usually sunny and hot, so plants aren't as happy as when it's cool and rainy. One summer I watered only at night and everything looked better for it. You might want to invest in a timer.

Old 06-16-2007, 08:03 AM

592 posts, read 1,924,440 times
I always water before 6 a.m. or after 8 p.m., I was thinking it may have something to do with the humidity when it rains and a plants ability to gain moisture from the air...I've heard that lightning increases nitrogen in soil but wonder if it somehow "charges" raindrops too. Thanks missy...

Old 06-17-2007, 05:11 AM

17,776 posts, read 20,964,233 times
If you live in a very humid area you don't want to water at night. There won't be time for it to "dry" and you can end up with fungus

Karla

Old 06-19-2007, 11:32 AM

6,949 posts, read 15,943,270 times
Rain, especially that which falls during a thunderstorm, will have more disolved nitrogen in it than well water. It's just one of those Mother Nature things.
The rain as it falls through the nitrogen rich air picks it up. Rain stored in a barrel or something soon loses the gas.

And you know how your plants LOVE nitrogen!

Old 06-19-2007, 05:08 PM

8,204 posts, read 23,288,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Rain, especially that which falls during a thunderstorm, will have more disolved nitrogen in it than well water. It's just one of those Mother Nature things.
The rain as it falls through the nitrogen rich air picks it up. Rain stored in a barrel or something soon loses the gas.

This totally makes sense .

Padgett, any idea how long it takes for the nitrogen to leave stored water? Is it hours, days or weeks?

Old 06-19-2007, 07:19 PM

6,949 posts, read 15,943,270 times
I have no idea. It's just one of those facts that I have stored in the garbage bag brain of mine. However, I would think that it would be fairly quickly.

Old 07-29-2009, 04:29 PM

1 posts, read 6,115 times
Default Effects of rain vs well water

I have experimented with impingement nozzles using well water for woody ornamentals, with nozzles mounted well above plants and about ten feet apart. The plants seemed to be getting some nutrient from the air. There was no runoff even after several hours. This was during bright sunny days and none at night.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:44 PM

2,650 posts, read 7,002,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post

It's true. A good summer thunderstorm will do more good in a few hours than watering all day every day. The nitrogen burst is a drug for plants. They love it.

Old 09-07-2011, 05:49 AM

1 posts, read 3,770 times
This article was VERY helpful! Thank you!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden