Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 04:51 PM

1,634 posts, read 6,718,027 times

Advertisements

I'm not finding a lot of info online on greenhouses. Does anyone have any recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 10:56 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,773,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA central coast View Post
I'm not finding a lot of info online on greenhouses. Does anyone have any recommendations?
Go over to Gardenweb. They have an entire forum.

Anyway, depends on a great many things. Are you looking to buy one or build one? How sophisticated? Heated?

Gardenweb is da place.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Go over to Gardenweb. They have an entire forum.

Anyway, depends on a great many things. Are you looking to buy one or build one? How sophisticated? Heated?

Gardenweb is da place.
Thanks. Build one, not heated, not sophisticated. But I may run plumbing. At the very least I'd put in a hose bib. I've considered a sink and drain. The temperature where I live is about the same year round. Except the summer months are cool and foggy. The sunniest and warmest is winter and spring. So tomatoes don't get the heat here.

Mind you, this year was my first garden. And I do have tomatoes plants in the ground. The constant foggy days haven't started yet. But I think between January and May might be a good time to grow tomatoes here. So, that where the greenhouse comes in. So I can start the tomato plants in October or November, or earlier. Like I said, I'm new at this. And who knows, my tomatoes may turn out good? I put them in the ground last month. So we'll see. It's just that we usually don't see the sun here during the summer.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:55 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,773,460 times
Beyond my limited expertise. Check out their forums- everything you need.

Old 06-16-2010, 12:14 PM

22 posts, read 99,077 times
I've been there and in this particular case, that is the place you will want to visit. Good luck with your project.

Old 06-16-2010, 12:32 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,762,350 times
Are you looking for plans, or one that you can buy, and build yourself? We ordered one from a company in Vancouver, that sends you all the pre-cut parts and you assemble it yourself. It's about 8' x 12'. We poured a concrete footing and had a cinder block knee wall built to put it on. Then we (DH and I) assembled it.

Old 06-16-2010, 04:56 PM

1 posts, read 2,889 times
Is there a free tutorial videos how to assemble it i am newbies here. Cape Cod Fence
http://www.barnstablefence.com

Old 06-23-2010, 04:12 PM

Thanks for all the info.
Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
Are you looking for plans, or one that you can buy, and build yourself? We ordered one from a company in Vancouver, that sends you all the pre-cut parts and you assemble it yourself. It's about 8' x 12'. We poured a concrete footing and had a cinder block knee wall built to put it on. Then we (DH and I) assembled it.
I'm planning on building myself. Are you happy with your finished product? price?

Old 06-23-2010, 04:29 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,762,350 times
Our kit came with a video, and a booklet telling you how to build the kit. We ordered ours from Greenhouses | Largest selection in the United States and Canada. I'm here to tell you that if a marriage can withstand the challenge of building a big glass greenhouse, it can withstand most anything. There's nothing like having DH standing on the top of an 8' ladder, while you hand up giant panes of glass to him, while holding the ladder steady for him at the same time.

We love our greenhouse. Our biggest mistake was to order it with a glass roof. We could have had it with twin wall poly carbonate, but DH thought the glass would look nicer, which it does. However, we never considered the increased heat loss during our cold winters, or the risk of it being shattered by hail, which can get really big here. We've had it 3 years now, and so far so good, but every time a storm comes up, I start worrying.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:47 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Have you considered a simple "hoop house" or are you looking for something a bit more fancy/durable?
How to Build a PVC Hoophouse for your Garden - The Westside Gardener
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden