U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2010, 04:06 PM

16 posts, read 42,162 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know where I could buy native plants in the Ellington area? There are 3 listed in CT, but are quite a distance away from me. I know most nurseries carry some native plants, but I was looking for one that was dedicated to native plants. Any information would be helpful. And, yes, I've spent a lot of time researching on the internet and can't seem to find any listed except for 3. It seems hard to believe that there would be only 3 in the whole state, but maybe it is true. I might end up having to take a drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 07:22 PM

2,063 posts, read 6,194,911 times
Very few landscapers, nurseries and box stores sell native plants. If you know specific cultivars that have become popular you can mail order and sometimes get them at a local nursery. You may want to expand your search into Massachusetts if that is a closer drive. While NY is probably no closer you may also find the same natives thrive there and maybe find a mail order source.

If your town has a an Environmental or Conservation board or at least some form of environmental code officer (sometimes associated with building codes and enforcement) they may be a source of where to find local sources of native plants. Many are involved in wetland preservation, another area to investigate for sources and ideas. There are usually local plant societies that may also be a good source for finding local sellers.

New England Wild Flower Society — New England Wild Flower Society

In looking up some possibilities I noticed White Flower Farm popped up on a list. They are a wonderful place to visit as well as excellent sources for all sorts of plants. The main list follows but you can find them under Connecticut:

Native Plant Nursery or Nurseries - Alabama, AL, Alaska, AK, Arizona, AZ, Arkansas, AR

The list also has more than 3 sources for your state, maybe adding some possibilities to the search! Good luck in your hunt!

Old 06-02-2010, 09:43 AM

16 posts, read 42,162 times
Thanks so much, J&Em, for the info. Yes, I really haven't been able to find any native plants at most of the local nurseries (even the ones who say they carry native plants). I had been on the New England Wildflower website...great source of information. I might even take a drive up to Whately to their nursery before it closes until the fall. We used to live in that area up until a couple of years ago when we bought a house in Ellington. I've been surprised at how few "environmentally-conscious" type things are here compared to there (if that makes sense)...such as native plant nurseries, CSA's, etc.

I will also contact our local environmental office. Thanks for the tip.

Take care.

Old 06-02-2010, 03:28 PM

22 posts, read 89,521 times
I guess nurseries didn't work. Well at least those links have very useful infirmation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or