U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2007, 03:07 PM

3,927 posts, read 7,726,191 times

Advertisements

Hello, I have a question and hope I can find great solutions here.

I have an above ground swimming pool that we just installed for our son. I am going to build a multi tiered deck around it as soon as I can find some good plans.

My question is: What types of flowering flowers and small trees would survive hot summers of MS. that look great around the pool, I want to put them in huge containers.

I am going for a tropical/lush feel, with the lower tier housing our bbq grill and a table and chairs, maybe with some type of palm I can set out as a screen from the upper tier of the pool area? With some type of pretty flowering plants in between? I am also going to have a fire pit with a couple of chairs around it to be as a converasation area. It might have an outdoor sofa and couple of chairs.

The upper pool area would house loungers for sunbathers and I would like something ot soften it up as well without blocking the sun, but still give it the same tropical/lush feel.

Any suggestions? Solutions? Am I just dreaming? HELPPPppppp!

Last edited by aiangel_writer; 06-17-2007 at 03:09 PM.. Reason: forgot the fire pit. oops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2007, 08:15 AM

31,165 posts, read 57,302,589 times
Sounds lovely -- When can we come over for a swim?

What about some hibiscus -- There are tons of varieties, more than likely plenty that could survive your hot, humid summers. I've seen banana palms in pots, too, that give a garden a lush feel. Other flowering shrubs you might consider would be oleander or gardenia.

You could check with the local extension office or garden store for ideas as well. They'd know your climate better than I do!

Good luck!

Old 06-20-2011, 10:44 PM

169 posts, read 336,885 times
Oleander is extremley toxic.You must not even burn it,it is so toxic.I wouldn't use them around kids/pets.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:55 AM

2,442 posts, read 4,875,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridaa View Post
Oleander is extremley toxic.You must not even burn it,it is so toxic.I wouldn't use them around kids/pets.
We have tens of millions of them in California. They line the freeways, are used as fences, accents, trained into trees and can be found on almost every block. I've also seen them in around schools. Despite their toxicity, children, people and pets aren't dropping dead from eating them.

Just don't eat them and you will be ok.

I really think the fear of toxic plants is a form of paranoia.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:52 PM

6,474 posts, read 13,410,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridaa View Post
I agree. I thought I was the only person afraid of toxic plants. I saw a movie where they used burned oleander to poison the enemy. LOL I'm sure it's pretty, but I would never plant it.

Old 07-24-2011, 11:39 AM

964 posts, read 1,970,229 times
Southern or northern Mississippi?

Pomegranates - PROS: Non toxic, they bear great fruit, they have a look and stature similar to crepe myrtles and can be kept shrub sized. Their flowers are jaw-dropping - google some and that might convince you. CON: Some cultivars are spiny. They are hardy down to the teens.

Kumquats - PROS: Non toxic. The fruit is something of an acquired taste as a fresh fruit, but as a cooking fruit you can make dynamite relishes and marmalades with them. Shrubby size, they adapt to containers well, and they (like all citrus) really thrive is hot summers. Hardy to the upper teens. CONS: You'll have to learn what to do with the fruit. If they do well, you'll have a lot of it.

Calamondin - PROS: Non toxic. Calamondin is a tangerine X kumquat hybrid. Fruit is slightly more versatile than kumquats, and the dark red fruit hits peak ripeness around Christmas, giving it a festive look. Not quite as cold hardy as kumquats - I'd bring them in or cover them well once you get into the 20s. CONS: Fruit is SOUR, but - with a great acid tangerine-meets-lime flavor they still make great cooking citrus. Sometimes spiny.

Strawberry Guava - PROS: Non toxic. Easy to grow. Delicious fruit, they will start to bloom (pretty blooms) and bear fruit between 3 and 5 years of age. Hardy into the 20s. Appearance slightly resembles a short, shrubby, sprawly crepe myrtle, so some pruning will be a must. CON: Can be invasive in places where the temp doesn't dip below 25 ever.

Yuzu - PROS: Non toxic. Yet another citrus; this one is rare - though they have been bred and selected in Japan for hundreds of years; you can find them in some US nurseries. Hardy into the 20s, tougher than most citrus in many ways. The leaves have a spicy, limey fragrance when rubbed. Mine has endured upper 20s with no harm - speaking with other garderners I've heard of yuzu being kept alive in Washington DC, and also being killed from frost in Savannah, so hardiness may depend in the individual plant and it's parentage, with it a possible detraction. CONS: VERY spiny, though the spines are big enough to see and avoid, transplanting is not fun. They can fruit in 7-8 years, or they can take as many as 18 years; they are a bit recalcitrant in that regard. The fruit - if and when it bears - looks like a rugged, bright yellow tangerine, and has an interesting meyer lemon-meets-mellow grapefruit flavor that can be a great thing in the kitchen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or