Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2011, 12:44 PM

3,951 posts, read 7,161,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Spill crumbs on the tablecloth and the first one to grab a dustbuster is a German.
Germans are known for their cleanliness.lol

Old 03-29-2011, 04:19 PM

950 posts, read 1,507,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
Well here in America we're all becoming "Heinz 57s".lol

Although there is a big difference between being half Haitian and half Irish for example, being half Irish and half Polish. The half Haitian and half Irish person will be seen as Biracial or even Black. While the half Irish and half Polish person will just be seen as White.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:10 PM

356 posts, read 830,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
There is no single "German" look anyway, even in Germany. The nordic looking ones up North look a lot different from the darker bavarians. Since Germans came to this country from all different parts, I don't think there's a distinguishing appearance they brought with them.
I'm mostly descended from the darker bavarians. I always wondered why everyone thought Germans were blonde/blue-eyed....almost everyone in my family has dark hair/dark brown eyes.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:12 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,797,356 times
How do you distinguish Germans from other Europeans?

Accent.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:31 PM

356 posts, read 830,765 times
I agree with the other posters, it's really not an easy task, esp since most Americans who say they're German, Irish, etc, are probably only 50% that, and 50% mixed other. There aren't really many Americans today who are not a mix of nationalities, except those who have only been here 1-2 generations.

And coloring is not a good indication; ex, my uncle has black hair, dark skin, dark eyes; my other uncle has blonde hair, blue eyes, very pale skin. Same parents, same possibilities, different outcomes. My mother's a mix, black hair, dark eyes, very pale skin.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:21 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,750,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ker8 View Post
I'm mostly descended from the darker bavarians. I always wondered why everyone thought Germans were blonde/blue-eyed....almost everyone in my family has dark hair/dark brown eyes.
My great-great-great grandmother was called "Black dutch." I'm not sure if she was Dutch or German, though.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:03 PM

950 posts, read 1,507,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ker8 View Post
I agree with the other posters, it's really not an easy task, esp since most Americans who say they're German, Irish, etc, are probably only 50% that, and 50% mixed other. There aren't really many Americans today who are not a mix of nationalities, except those who have only been here 1-2 generations.

And coloring is not a good indication; ex, my uncle has black hair, dark skin, dark eyes; my other uncle has blonde hair, blue eyes, very pale skin. Same parents, same possibilities, different outcomes. My mother's a mix, black hair, dark eyes, very pale skin.
Your German uncle has dark skin ? Dark skin compared to a freckled face Scottish redhead, but I doubt your uncle would be considered darkskin if he were standing next to the average Guatemalan for example.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:26 PM

23,410 posts, read 36,823,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
My great-great-great grandmother was called "Black dutch." I'm not sure if she was Dutch or German, though.
Lots of folks called that in my neck of the woods in Missouri, they're all of German descent.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:49 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,090,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicesinging1 View Post
Hello. I am Asian American living in U.S. I have a number of European American friends and often get it wrong on guessing their ancestry. For instance, I can't distinguish between Germans and Irish or between Spanish and Portuguese.

Without relying upon their last name for guessing their nationality, do you know a way to accurately determine how to distinguish German Americans from other European Americans? For instance, what is the typical facial feature of Germans in distinction with other Europeans? On one more note, is it true that Germans are almost never late to a meeting?

Thanks in advance for any insights.
"You all look the same to me."

LOL

But seriously. I CAN tell a Japanese person from a Chinese person based just on facial features. Japanese just look different. But a Korean? I couldn't tell you.

One thing that I have heard is a German facial feature is a pronounced frenulum - that groove that runs vertically between the bottom of your nose and your upper lip.

Not sure how true that is, but I have a pretty noticeable one, as does my daughter, and I have a lot of German ancestry. My wife is Mexican, and practically doesn't have one at all...

Old 03-31-2011, 12:54 PM

23,410 posts, read 36,823,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
"You all look the same to me."

LOL

But seriously. I CAN tell a Japanese person from a Chinese person based just on facial features. Japanese just look different. But a Korean? I couldn't tell you.

One thing that I have heard is a German facial feature is a pronounced frenulum - that groove that runs vertically between the bottom of your nose and your upper lip.

Not sure how true that is, but I have a pretty noticeable one, as does my daughter, and I have a lot of German ancestry. My wife is Mexican, and practically doesn't have one at all...
Theres a high German population where I come from, I've heard that about the frenulum my entire life.....I have one, so did my dad, (100% German) I've noticed that about people in my hometown.....glad to know I'm not the only one who has heard that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy