U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 07-07-2010, 07:13 PM
Status: "Im Tal der donnerden Hufe...." (set 23 days ago)
 
Location: Midwestern Dystopia
2,342 posts, read 2,963,942 times
Reputation: 2883

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I'm only 1/4 German but when I travel overseas people think I'm one. This can be unfortunate in some places like Italy. There I go out of my way to tell them I'm American since they don't have real fond feelings for their neighbors from the North who came to visit a few decades back.

this may come as a shock to you but germany and italy were on the same side a "few decades back".

 
Old 07-10-2010, 10:23 AM
 
Location: Cali
3,885 posts, read 5,992,827 times
Reputation: 2200
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
But do you like Germans?

I certainly do!
 
Old 07-14-2010, 10:41 AM
 
2,739 posts, read 4,072,290 times
Reputation: 1973
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicesinging1 View Post
Hello. I am Asian American living in U.S. I have a number of European American friends and often get it wrong on guessing their ancestry. For instance, I can't distinguish between Germans and Irish or between Spanish and Portuguese.

Without relying upon their last name for guessing their nationality, do you know a way to accurately determine how to distinguish German Americans from other European Americans? For instance, what is the typical facial feature of Germans in distinction with other Europeans? On one more note, is it true that Germans are almost never late to a meeting?

Thanks in advance for any insights.
Most Americans are mixed. Italians are the easiest to spot; they usually have dark hair, are lively, and have the famous Roman nose--which I think is awesome. Early Americans, like the pilgrims were easily distinguishable as they all looked British (slighter builds, less animated, and lighter hair than Italians) and had the British accent to go with their looks/customs. The Irish tend to have stubby heads (like Ted Kennedy or Conan O Brien) and many are red heads w/freckles. Many French people have darker hair, a slightly larger nose than other Europeans, and a lanky or long body. Germans are tall, have blonde or very light brown hair, and blue eyes, have more physical definition than most other Europeans--you'll notice that in their culture, their architecture and their cars.

I cannot tell Asians apart. I have given up.
 
Old 07-14-2010, 12:56 PM
 
Location: Silver Springs, FL
23,440 posts, read 30,607,252 times
Reputation: 15560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
Germans are tall, have blonde or very light brown hair, and blue eyes, have more physical definition than most other Europeans--you'll notice that in their culture, their architecture and their cars.
I'm almost totally German, I've done my genealogy.
I have dark hair and green eyes, and am 5'10"....dont really fit into your definition of German.
A very common German surname where I come from is Schwartz, you know that means dark, right? All the families with that surname in my area are dark-haired and brown eyed.
The area I am from is famous for its German population keeping to itself, and speaking a German that hasnt been heard in 150 years, and no, its not Amish at all.
 
Old 07-14-2010, 02:03 PM
 
Location: Cali
3,885 posts, read 5,992,827 times
Reputation: 2200
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
The area I am from is famous for its German population keeping to itself, and speaking a German that hasnt been heard in 150 years, and no, its not Amish at all.
Very similar situation with the German population in the Texas Hill Country.
 
Old 07-14-2010, 02:14 PM
 
Location: Silver Springs, FL
23,440 posts, read 30,607,252 times
Reputation: 15560
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
Very similar situation with the German population in the Texas Hill Country.
Yes, the 2 areas are quite similar, about the biggest difference that comes to mind is the original German settlers were from different areas of Germany.
 
Old 07-14-2010, 02:24 PM
 
Location: Cali
3,885 posts, read 5,992,827 times
Reputation: 2200
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Yes, the 2 areas are quite similar, about the biggest difference that comes to mind is the original German settlers were from different areas of Germany.
Most definately. Quite a few of the Germans that settled in Texas were also know for some "radical" politics. One belief that was very unifying to most of the German settlers in Texas was their strong opposition toward slavery.

Slave holding Texans often called them the "Damn Dutch Abolitionists".
 
Old 07-14-2010, 02:29 PM
 
Location: Silver Springs, FL
23,440 posts, read 30,607,252 times
Reputation: 15560
Lol, CG, it was pretty much the same thing in the area of SE and E Missouri that I am speaking of!
 
Old 07-14-2010, 02:57 PM
 
Location: Cali
3,885 posts, read 5,992,827 times
Reputation: 2200
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Lol, CG, it was pretty much the same thing in the area of SE and E Missouri that I am speaking of!
Germans from Missouri contributed greatly to the Union army too!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German-..._the_Civil_War
 
Old 07-14-2010, 05:55 PM
 
2,739 posts, read 4,072,290 times
Reputation: 1973
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I'm almost totally German, I've done my genealogy.
I have dark hair and green eyes, and am 5'10"....dont really fit into your definition of German.
A very common German surname where I come from is Schwartz, you know that means dark, right? All the families with that surname in my area are dark-haired and brown eyed.
The area I am from is famous for its German population keeping to itself, and speaking a German that hasnt been heard in 150 years, and no, its not Amish at all.
I'm not saying any particular background is all the same. That would be silly. I am saying that those traits are common among the people I mentioned. 5'10" is considered "tall" for a female. I don't where you inherited your "dark" traits from but you have said you are mixed, so that might be it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top