Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2011, 01:38 AM

3,951 posts, read 7,161,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I believe I've commented on how German the area is I'm from once or 20 times.
Anyway, Schwartz is a very common surname there....and yes, they're all Schwartze Deutche.
As were(ironically)most of the top Nazis such as Goebbels, Himmler, and Hess.lol

Old 04-29-2012, 09:24 PM

2 posts, read 6,188 times
Default German features

At this day and age there have been many variants and mixing of blood lines but a typical German face is square with ruddy to light skin. Freckles are also a part of the skin tone. Light eyes and light brows. Germans tend to have boxie square builds and usually are a tall people. They can range form having black hair to light blonde. It is important to be able to distinguish the tell tale signs of a typical German face.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:18 AM

3,951 posts, read 7,161,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R. A. Bullseye View Post
At this day and age there have been many variants and mixing of blood lines but a typical German face is square with ruddy to light skin. Freckles are also a part of the skin tone. Light eyes and light brows. Germans tend to have boxie square builds and usually are a tall people. They can range form having black hair to light blonde. It is important to be able to distinguish the tell tale signs of a typical German face.
Good observation! Welcome to City-Data too.:-)

Old 04-30-2012, 07:08 AM
bjh

59,731 posts, read 30,164,765 times
Quote:
What utter hogwash.

And why do we need to tell? Anyone care for some (barely) disguised racism?

Old 04-30-2012, 07:47 PM

23,410 posts, read 36,820,811 times
Quote:
Please, child.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:00 PM

26,750 posts, read 22,236,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicesinging1 View Post
Hello. I am Asian American living in U.S. I have a number of European American friends and often get it wrong on guessing their ancestry. For instance, I can't distinguish between Germans and Irish or between Spanish and Portuguese.

Without relying upon their last name for guessing their nationality, do you know a way to accurately determine how to distinguish German Americans from other European Americans?
You wouldn't be able to tell unless you have been around Germans a lot.
Europeans usually can make a right guess for the most part.
It takes more than just some "typical features" to spot Germans, because they have few prominent types, and can't be identified by features alone (for the most part.)
You have to have good intuition to tell who is who and to be around Europeans a lot.

Old 05-11-2012, 12:07 PM

355 posts, read 1,185,885 times
Quote:
Hello. I am Asian American living in U.S. I have a number of European American friends and often get it wrong on guessing their ancestry. For instance, I can't distinguish between Germans and Irish or between Spanish and Portuguese.

Without relying upon their last name for guessing their nationality, do you know a way to accurately determine how to distinguish German Americans from other European Americans? For instance, what is the typical facial feature of Germans in distinction with other Europeans? On one more note, is it true that Germans are almost never late to a meeting?

Thanks in advance for any insights.
-----

Germans from Germany wear sandals with socks and drink big jars of beer. They are kind of gregarious and don't make noise, and of course, they speak German.

As to their features, a lot of variations. The typical "Aryan" (as in films) is a rarity, a minority, most Germans could be from any Western European-Central European or Slavic country.

People with German ancestry in the US are not representative because they are mixed, or came from very specific regions or kingdoms that had no relation with modern Germany (a new country).

Old 05-14-2012, 03:06 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,086,532 times
I look at their passports.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:33 PM

102,057 posts, read 106,854,652 times
Quote:

Without relying upon their last name for guessing their nationality, do you know a way to accurately determine how to distinguish German Americans from other European Americans? For instance, what is the typical facial feature of Germans in distinction with other Europeans? On one more note, is it true that Germans are almost never late to a meeting?

Thanks in advance for any insights.
There's a variety among Germans, so it's hard to say. You could do an internet search and look at some German faces. One type is square jaw (men), blond hair. The nose is one way to tell, you'll have to take a look yourself. The Irish are quite different. You just have to look at enough photos that you begin to be able to distinguish. It takes a certain amount of experience.

What kind of Asian are you?

Old 05-19-2012, 11:40 PM

102,057 posts, read 106,854,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
As were(ironically)most of the top Nazis such as Goebbels, Himmler, and Hess.lol
This here is an interesting topic. You can take one look at Hitler and see he's not Aryan. What's the history of those people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.