U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 01:05 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,040,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Precisely.......which means they are not white.

I have written about this ad nauseum on this forum and in other venues. Basically, the fact that three of four Puerto Ricans identify themselves as white only underlines the impact of white supremacist notions on Puerto Ricans and Latinos in general.

Most, but not all Puerto Ricans have some European ancestry; most, but not all Puerto Ricans, are nonwhite.
Huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 03:41 PM

3,168 posts, read 4,153,023 times
West Indian, East African (especially Somali), and Creole.

To my knowledge I am from none of these ancestries. Maybe East African from WAY up my family tree but certainly not any of the relatives I've known in my life.

Old 06-26-2010, 04:16 PM
bjh

26,043 posts, read 22,775,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I could call myself Norwegian if I wanted to. Doesn't mean it's true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
If you believed it, it would be. Think about that for awhile.
I believe I am a chipmunk.

Old 06-26-2010, 05:40 PM

4,585 posts, read 10,474,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Data Guy View Post
I hope this thread is okay for this forum.

Anyway, are you ever mistaken for a race/ethnicity/ancestry that you are not?

I'm 75% Scandinavian (Norwegian, Swedish, Danish, & Finnish) and 25% French. Unlike most Scandinavians, I have dark brown hair, dark brown eyes, and an olive skin tone. Apparently, being one-quarter French was enough to give me all those features. Then again, it shouldn't be surprising because dark hair, dark eyes, and olive skin, are dominant to light hair, light eyes, and "paper white" skin.

In tenth grade (I'm going to be in twelfth this year), I was in a special education class. This one guy would refuse to believe that I was white, and it really got on my nerves. Even after I told him my ancestries, he would still refuse to believe that I was white. He said that I was Mexican, so I'm assuming he thinks I'm Mestizo. I'm not Mestizo. Heck, I still could be Mexican though. Not all Mexicans are dark-skinned, dark-eyed, dark-haired Mestizos. There are Mexicans of European descent. But guess what? I'm not Mexican; I'm American. I'm a European American of Scandinavian and French ancestry.

A girl also said that I looked Puerto Rican, which is understandable. Most Puerto Ricans are of European descent, mostly Spanish. I'm a quarter French, and France borders Spain. Lots of Spaniards are olive skinned, brown-eyed, and dark-haired. But I'm still not Puerto Rican.

*sighs*

What about you?
If you have a nordic/Scandinavian ancestry there is a good chance you might also have some Sammi ancestry - the indigionus population in those areas and they are dark complected

Old 06-27-2010, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
If you have a nordic/Scandinavian ancestry there is a good chance you might also have some Sammi ancestry - the indigionus population in those areas and they are dark complected
That may be true, but I doubt it. My grandpa is 100% French, and some people think he is Native American. My grandpa has dark olive skin. I have a lighter olive tone, but I'm sure my skin tone, eye color, and hair color came from my French ancestry.

Old 06-27-2010, 01:58 PM

13,140 posts, read 35,968,549 times
Quote:

Anyway, are you ever mistaken for a race/ethnicity/ancestry that you are not?
Nope as anyone can tell i'm caucasian .... however i'm half Italian (Naples) and so i not only have super curly black hair like the southern Italians but my white skin can very easily tan dark brown when out in the sun.

When i used to work outdoors years back the Mexicans here used to make fun of me and call me ''Negrito'' because i turned as brown as them

When winter comes it takes about 4 months of little sunshine to revert back to my white British (Devonshire) skin color.

Old 06-27-2010, 03:00 PM

27,236 posts, read 40,261,063 times
Some people have thought I'm a Jew.

Old 06-27-2010, 03:19 PM

15,736 posts, read 11,738,008 times
My German accent makes some people think that I am Russian and my husband ordered me on a catalog

I do not like when I meet American's and they say, they are German, too and then I find out, that they don't speak a word German, have never been there. If you and your parents are born here, you are not German!!! And especially not when it was more than 100 years ago!!

Old 06-27-2010, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
My German accent makes some people think that I am Russian and my husband ordered me on a catalog

I do not like when I meet American's and they say, they are German, too and then I find out, that they don't speak a word German, have never been there. If you and your parents are born here, you are not German!!! And especially not when it was more than 100 years ago!!
They're German American.

Old 06-27-2010, 06:48 PM

23,440 posts, read 30,607,252 times
Quote:
They're German American.
Thats right, and doggone proud of it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or