U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2010, 06:51 PM

23,440 posts, read 30,612,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
My German accent makes some people think that I am Russian and my husband ordered me on a catalog

I do not like when I meet American's and they say, they are German, too and then I find out, that they don't speak a word German, have never been there. If you and your parents are born here, you are not German!!! And especially not when it was more than 100 years ago!!
Where I come from in Missouri, a great deal of people still speak German, albeit a form of German that has not been spoken in Germany for 150 years.
Always amusing to watch German tourists struggle to understand the language of their great-great-great grandparents.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 12:27 AM

10,996 posts, read 11,136,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Data Guy View Post
According to the 2006-2008 American Community Survey Estimates, 75.8% of Puerto Ricans identified themselves as White. Then again, a lot of Puerto Ricans of European descent have African and/or Amerindian ancestors.
The American Community Survey sucks. When the lady called me and asked me what my race was, I told her I was Hispanic. She said that wasn't a race, so I said Mexican-American. She said that wasn't an option. So I said , "Well what are the options?" She said "White, Black or negro, American Indian or Alaskan, Asian Indian, Chinese, Filipino, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese, Native Hawaiian, Guamanian, Samoan, or other Pacific Islander. I told her, "I'm light brown. Isn't there an option for that? She said No. So I had to tell her white, since i'm not black, not any of the other races they were telling me.

Old 06-28-2010, 04:02 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,041,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
The American Community Survey sucks. When the lady called me and asked me what my race was, I told her I was Hispanic. She said that wasn't a race, so I said Mexican-American. She said that wasn't an option. So I said , "Well what are the options?" She said "White, Black or negro, American Indian or Alaskan, Asian Indian, Chinese, Filipino, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese, Native Hawaiian, Guamanian, Samoan, or other Pacific Islander. I told her, "I'm light brown. Isn't there an option for that? She said No. So I had to tell her white, since i'm not black, not any of the other races they were telling me.
Well, Hispanic is an ethnicity, not a race. Here is some more information.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Well, Hispanic is an ethnicity, not a race. Here is some more information.
Well, yes, my point is however, that white was the only option. There should be a lighter shade of brown option. Lol.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:33 PM
bjh

26,094 posts, read 22,780,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
My German accent makes some people think that I am Russian and my husband ordered me on a catalog

I do not like when I meet American's and they say, they are German, too and then I find out, that they don't speak a word German, have never been there. If you and your parents are born here, you are not German!!! And especially not when it was more than 100 years ago!!
Quote:
They're German American.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Thats right, and doggone proud of it!
German-American is its own unique cultural identity!

Old 06-28-2010, 05:34 PM
bjh

26,094 posts, read 22,780,245 times
Quote:
Is this something to do with the census?

If so, they don't have a good option for Hispanics. Most are racially native American.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post

If so, they don't have a good option for Hispanics. Most are racially native American.
Yeah, its an extended form of the census. It didn't matter that I filled out the regular census and sent it in, they still wanted me to fill out the other survey too ( the one mentioned). They really don't have good options for Hispanics.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:38 PM

24,757 posts, read 32,896,894 times
Quote:
Yeah, its an extended form of the census. It didn't matter that I filled out the regular census and sent it in, they still wanted me to fill out the other survey too ( the one mentioned). They really don't have good options for Hispanics.

Hispanics have the same options as everyone else. You could literally check all of them if you believe you fit.

I worked for the Census and had Filipinos who checked Latino/Hispanic for ethnicity and Asian for race.

I had a Puerto Rican/Dominican family who checked Hispanic for ethnicity. For Hispanic ethnicity, father was Dominican, so he wrote in Dominican. Mom was Puerto Rican, so she checked Puerto Rican. Both parents and their children checked black, white and Native American for race.

I know a Guyanese woman who checked black, white and Asian Indian for race, and she did the same for her children.

I'm Afro-Cuban. I checked Hispanic for ethnicity and black for race (though I could have chosen to add white, Native American and Asian too).

Not that hard.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:40 PM

24,757 posts, read 32,896,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post

In Central America and parts of South America, this is pretty much true. Either Native or mestizo (Native-white). But in the Caribbean and other parts of South America, the African is as important as the European and the Native, and in Argentina, Chile and Uruguay, the European predominates.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:53 PM

3,487 posts, read 6,125,682 times
I have been mistaken for South American when I was really tan, but I'm just AZN. When I got an afro perm (thanks, mom) people thought I was African mix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or