Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 09:09 AM

2,699 posts, read 2,402,251 times

Advertisements

I hope this thread is okay for this forum.

Anyway, are you ever mistaken for a race/ethnicity/ancestry that you are not?

I'm 75% Scandinavian (Norwegian, Swedish, Danish, & Finnish) and 25% French. Unlike most Scandinavians, I have dark brown hair, dark brown eyes, and an olive skin tone. Apparently, being one-quarter French was enough to give me all those features. Then again, it shouldn't be surprising because dark hair, dark eyes, and olive skin, are dominant to light hair, light eyes, and "paper white" skin.

In tenth grade (I'm going to be in twelfth this year), I was in a special education class. This one guy would refuse to believe that I was white, and it really got on my nerves. Even after I told him my ancestries, he would still refuse to believe that I was white. He said that I was Mexican, so I'm assuming he thinks I'm Mestizo. I'm not Mestizo. Heck, I still could be Mexican though. Not all Mexicans are dark-skinned, dark-eyed, dark-haired Mestizos. There are Mexicans of European descent. But guess what? I'm not Mexican; I'm American. I'm a European American of Scandinavian and French ancestry.

A girl also said that I looked Puerto Rican, which is understandable. Most Puerto Ricans are of European descent, mostly Spanish. I'm a quarter French, and France borders Spain. Lots of Spaniards are olive skinned, brown-eyed, and dark-haired. But I'm still not Puerto Rican.

*sighs*

What about you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 10:28 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,027,793 times
I'm 3/4 Norwegian and 1/4 Swedish. I have brown hair and hazel eyes. People get so stuck on the "blonde, blue-eyed" thing that they start just getting stupid about it. Unfortunately, those same people typically can't seem to avoid opening their mouths and actually saying what they think.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:37 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,525,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Data Guy View Post
I hope this thread is okay for this forum.

Anyway, are you ever mistaken for a race/ethnicity/ancestry that you are not?

I'm 75% Scandinavian (Norwegian, Swedish, Danish, & Finnish) and 25% French. Unlike most Scandinavians, I have dark brown hair, dark brown eyes, and an olive skin tone. Apparently, being one-quarter French was enough to give me all those features. Then again, it shouldn't be surprising because dark hair, dark eyes, and olive skin, are dominant to light hair, light eyes, and "paper white" skin.

In tenth grade (I'm going to be in twelfth this year), I was in a special education class. This one guy would refuse to believe that I was white, and it really got on my nerves. Even after I told him my ancestries, he would still refuse to believe that I was white. He said that I was Mexican, so I'm assuming he thinks I'm Mestizo. I'm not Mestizo. Heck, I still could be Mexican though. Not all Mexicans are dark-skinned, dark-eyed, dark-haired Mestizos. There are Mexicans of European descent. But guess what? I'm not Mexican; I'm American. I'm a European American of Scandinavian and French ancestry.

A girl also said that I looked Puerto Rican, which is understandable. Most Puerto Ricans are of European descent, mostly Spanish. I'm a quarter French, and France borders Spain. Lots of Spaniards are olive skinned, brown-eyed, and dark-haired. But I'm still not Puerto Rican.

*sighs*

What about you?

I look Puerto Rican, too, but I am pretty sure I look nothing like you. Most Puerto Ricans are triracial - European, African and Native. I am African, European and Native, and many PRs assume I am local when I am on the island.

There are relatively few Puerto Ricans - maybe 30% - who are mainly of European descent, mostly Spanish.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:50 PM

490 posts, read 1,782,010 times
I lot of people think I am Asian. Many years ago, a teacher from the Philippines though I was from her country. She got kind of sad when she realized I wasn't! In fact, I am Latina and my mix in descending order would be African, European (Spanish) and Native (Taino).

Old 06-25-2010, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambarstone View Post
I lot of people think I am Asian. Many years ago, a teacher from the Philippines though I was from her country. She got kind of sad when she realized I wasn't! In fact, I am Latina and my mix in descending order would be African, European (Spanish) and Native (Taino).

I bet you really do look like a Pinay though. I have seen some Latinas who do, which makes since because many Filipinas have Spanish ancestry along with Asian (Malay or Chinese). Actually, I know many Filipinas who do call themselves Latinas.

Old 06-25-2010, 11:40 PM

2,699 posts, read 2,402,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I look Puerto Rican, too, but I am pretty sure I look nothing like you. Most Puerto Ricans are triracial - European, African and Native. I am African, European and Native, and many PRs assume I am local when I am on the island.

There are relatively few Puerto Ricans - maybe 30% - who are mainly of European descent, mostly Spanish.
According to the 2006-2008 American Community Survey Estimates, 75.8% of Puerto Ricans identified themselves as White. Then again, a lot of Puerto Ricans of European descent have African and/or Amerindian ancestors.

Old 06-26-2010, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Data Guy View Post
According to the 2006-2008 American Community Survey Estimates, 75.8% of Puerto Ricans identified themselves as White. Then again, a lot of Puerto Ricans of European descent have African and/or Amerindian ancestors.

Precisely.......which means they are not white.

I have written about this ad nauseum on this forum and in other venues. Basically, the fact that three of four Puerto Ricans identify themselves as white only underlines the impact of white supremacist notions on Puerto Ricans and Latinos in general.

Most, but not all Puerto Ricans have some European ancestry; most, but not all Puerto Ricans, are nonwhite.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:53 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,126,172 times
Quote:
Precisely.......which means they are not white.

I have written about this ad nauseum on this forum and in other venues. Basically, the fact that three of four Puerto Ricans identify themselves as white only underlines the impact of white supremacist notions on Puerto Ricans and Latinos in general.

Most, but not all Puerto Ricans have some European ancestry; most, but not all Puerto Ricans, are nonwhite.
They perceive themselves as white and identify with whites. Isn't that all that matters?

Old 06-26-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
They perceive themselves as white and identify with whites. Isn't that all that matters?

I could call myself Norwegian if I wanted to. Doesn't mean it's true.

Old 06-26-2010, 12:39 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,126,172 times
Quote:
I could call myself Norwegian if I wanted to. Doesn't mean it's true.
If you believed it, it would be. Think about that for awhile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy