U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 10:36 PM

3 posts, read 4,448 times

Advertisements

I find it sad that my ancestors helped lead the Trail of Tears & my bloodline shows I'm both Cherokee & Choctaw which I'm darn proud of! Heck I even associate w/the Chief of "our" Tribe & was raised speaking some Cherokee & am currently learning the beautiful language & yet I'm denied now because my G'G'pa wouldn't register & claim his roll # nor my G'G'ma. They claim also because I'm no longer "blonde" (I was a cotton-top till highschool then my hair naturally changed) & I was never blue-eyed, but rather my eyes change color since my father was a colorblind blue-eyed & my mother was hazel-eyed so I was blessed to get that gene!! Wait, I'm not blonde so you have the nerve to say I'm not Native American???? Say wwhhaatt??? Last time I √'d, I always get asked what tribe am I from & I can't fake my bloodline buster! But yet as this discussion started you'll see people (even in my Family's hometown in OK) who barely look Native American & more of another ethnic background & usually only have 1/8 of Native blood in them & yet their able to CLAIM their bloodline & get their Roll #. It's soooo frustrating & I wish I knew how to wave a magic wand & rid the "goofballs" who could careless & only claim for perks/bonuses & those of us who are PROUD & want to pass on/teach/learn about our Culture!! Back to the Quakers/Moore's days I guess!! ;p

Old 03-26-2014, 07:35 AM

269 posts, read 426,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambam79 View Post
I find it sad that my ancestors helped lead the Trail of Tears & my bloodline shows I'm both Cherokee & Choctaw which I'm darn proud of! Heck I even associate w/the Chief of "our" Tribe & was raised speaking some Cherokee & am currently learning the beautiful language & yet I'm denied now because my G'G'pa wouldn't register & claim his roll # nor my G'G'ma. They claim also because I'm no longer "blonde" (I was a cotton-top till highschool then my hair naturally changed) & I was never blue-eyed, but rather my eyes change color since my father was a colorblind blue-eyed & my mother was hazel-eyed so I was blessed to get that gene!! Wait, I'm not blonde so you have the nerve to say I'm not Native American???? Say wwhhaatt??? Last time I √'d, I always get asked what tribe am I from & I can't fake my bloodline buster! But yet as this discussion started you'll see people (even in my Family's hometown in OK) who barely look Native American & more of another ethnic background & usually only have 1/8 of Native blood in them & yet their able to CLAIM their bloodline & get their Roll #. It's soooo frustrating & I wish I knew how to wave a magic wand & rid the "goofballs" who could careless & only claim for perks/bonuses & those of us who are PROUD & want to pass on/teach/learn about our Culture!! Back to the Quakers/Moore's days I guess!! ;p
Reading your post, then sifting through it....in short.

1. You are unable to prove tribal affilations to enroll with either the Cherokee or Choctaw. 2 tribes.
2. You look "more" Indian than actual tribal members.
3. You are always asked what tribe you are from. Like Apache?
4. I repeat 1.

As I'm sure you are aware, the Choctaw Nation and Cherokee Nation of OK (Keetoowah is 1/4 BQ enrollment), these tribe only require lineage, not degree of tribal blood. There are many proud Cherokee citizens who learn their heritage and care. Most tribal members are from the old families and didn't "just" enroll for benefits or enrolled because of how Indian they look or don't look. They were enrolled by their parents, but through the generations of lineage. They didn't just wake up and find an ancestor on the roll and say, "Gee, I'll be Cherokee today."

You look Indian like this Crow girl per se? This is a beautiful Indian. Before we berate actual tribal memebers, tred lightly.

Old 03-26-2014, 01:29 PM

1,064 posts, read 1,152,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocks4 View Post
Many white people in the United States claim to have a "drop" of Cherokee in them, and even seem to think this is true. I usually ignore this claim, but lately have been wondering if it is true or not.

The people that claim this are what we would all think of as 100% white people, but they claim that some ancestor was a Cherokee.

Some claim to have heard this from their parents, but most have no hard claim.

I am still convinced it is myth, but I would like to hear from white people who may have actually traced their own ancestry and found a Cherokee person, or those who have not.
There were a lot of Cherokee "mixed bloods." During the Civil War, for instance, the leader of the Cherokee in Indian Territory was something like 90% white.

But yeah, a lot of people claim Indian ancestry because it's romantic. But it's not unusual and quite common for whites to have Indian blood in them.

Old 04-24-2014, 06:59 PM

17,998 posts, read 17,150,498 times
This thread is closed due to arguing with and insulting each other. There will be a cooling down period after which it may be re-opened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or