U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 05:24 AM

14,131 posts, read 26,246,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocknbird2 View Post
I have often wondered that myself. Why is it ALWAYS Cherokee?
Perhaps because of the geography and time period? If you're a non-Indian American you're more likely to know who your actual ancestors were during the period of the westward expansion when whites came into contact with other tribes like the Sioux, Shoshone, Ute, etc.. However, the Cherokee most people think they're descended from lived in and around North Carolina way back during the colonial era when a lot of people's family trees get kind of hazy and ripe for "creative enhancement" by family storytellers. Just a theory but the "black dutch" woman I'm supposedly descended from lived then and there. I do not consider myself Indian by any means just because of that. I'll stay with the other tourist white people in the back rows at the pow-wows.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:48 AM

3,326 posts, read 2,614,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocks4 View Post
Many white people in the United States claim to have a "drop" of Cherokee in them, and even seem to think this is true. I usually ignore this claim, but lately have been wondering if it is true or not.

The people that claim this are what we would all think of as 100% white people, but they claim that some ancestor was a Cherokee.

Some claim to have heard this from their parents, but most have no hard claim.

I am still convinced it is myth, but I would like to hear from white people who may have actually traced their own ancestry and found a Cherokee person, or those who have not.
I have two very white uncles who claim indian ancestory. I suppose it's possible they are but at some point I feel it's just plain silly to claim to be an indian if you are white. I shave every day. What I see is what regular native americans actually see......old white guy. I'm fine with that.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:33 AM

3,491 posts, read 5,291,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocknbird2 View Post
I have often wondered that myself. Why is it ALWAYS Cherokee?
I answered this question some time back, but perhaps now is a time to answer it again. I also want to be clear here -- the Cherokee are a fine and deservedly proud people. Nothing I write should be considered as degrading or denigrating them.

Some people claim Cherokee heritage because they are at least part Cherokee. Some claim it because that's the only nation they know. Others claim it because being "part Cherokee" just sounds so danged cool. Still others claim it because of the highly-publicized "Trail of Tears" (though the Cherokee were neither the first nor largest group to be Removed along this trail).

Yet another group claims Cherokee heritage because of Cher's song Halfbreed (which contains a number of inaccuracies, btw). And finally, beginning back in the '90's, the motto among wannabes seemed to be "If you ain't Cherokee, you ain't sh*t!"

Regards as always,

-- Nighteyes (Mississippi Choctaw)

Old 03-09-2011, 02:24 PM

6,415 posts, read 10,033,388 times
Why is the question about "white people?" African-Americans have just as high a chance of having some native American ancestry, so why the emphasis?

I find all the racially-tinged questions on this board distasteful. Genealogy is genealogy. And if you do much, you'll realize that (so-called) color just doesn't matter. We're all one race, the human race. And records are records, and have no color.

Old 03-15-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Why is the question about "white people?" African-Americans have just as high a chance of having some native American ancestry...
Absolutely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
... so why the emphasis?
Note who is asking the question. No offense intended, of course.

Old 03-15-2011, 02:41 PM

15 posts, read 75,834 times
That's somewhat true but most of those white americans have AFRICAN admixture not indian. Like someone said it is more convenient to say indian than black due to the stigma.

Old 03-15-2011, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liason View Post
That's somewhat true but most of those white americans have AFRICAN admixture not indian. Like someone said it is more convenient to say indian than black due to the stigma.
That is also true, but it does not address the poster's question.

Old 03-17-2011, 03:25 PM

959 posts, read 1,113,890 times
The irony is that I have met people who claim Cherokee yet look 100% European in phenotype, yet at the same time I have met Brown Mexicans who look like they came straight out of an Indian reservation, yet they swear up and down that they are 100% Spanish and do not have a single drop of Indio blood, lol.

Old 03-18-2011, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Blood View Post
The irony is that I have met people who claim Cherokee yet look 100% European in phenotype, yet at the same time I have met Brown Mexicans who look like they came straight out of an Indian reservation, yet they swear up and down that they are 100% Spanish and do not have a single drop of Indio blood, lol.
Sigh! Seems we've come full circle. Here is what I wrote on this matter some time back:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
A lot has been said here, and some of it is true. Some of it is inaccurate, and some is incorrect.

First, a lot has been made of Indians "looking white". A lot of us DO look white, particularly those whose ancestors originally came from woodlands environments and places where the sun was less direct, and who presently do not spend a lot of time in the sun. One of my best friends is a "double halfbreed" -- half Cherokee and half Shawnee. Another is full-blood Anishinabe, a nation which you probably know as Chippewa or Ojibwe. Either of them could be standing right in front of you, talking with you, and I dare say that a lot of you would never recognize them as Indians...
Regards,

-- Nighteyes

Old 03-21-2011, 04:36 PM

How would y'all characterize this fellow? Indian, White, I dunno, what?

Okay, how about THIS fellow? Indian, White, I dunno, what?

(Have I made my point yet, or shall I continue? )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or