U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 05:05 PM

18,856 posts, read 30,440,508 times

Advertisements

I don't know...I don't have a drop of Native Amercian Blood, or African American Blood. I am 100% Irish, family came over from the potato famine, moved to Utah, worked on the railroad. I have met people who tell me that they are Cherokee, or whatever...and are very prideful about it...that is fine...but are they any better than me? I don't know. But some sure act like it...go figure it...

Old 03-21-2011, 05:58 PM

17,413 posts, read 18,272,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocks4 View Post
Many white people in the United States claim to have a "drop" of Cherokee in them, and even seem to think this is true. I usually ignore this claim, but lately have been wondering if it is true or not.

The people that claim this are what we would all think of as 100% white people, but they claim that some ancestor was a Cherokee.

Some claim to have heard this from their parents, but most have no hard claim.

I am still convinced it is myth, but I would like to hear from white people who may have actually traced their own ancestry and found a Cherokee person, or those who have not.

The 1st clip of Stephen Colbert who stated that his family had a fabled "Indian Princess" in the lineage came to mind when I read this post. The 2nd clip, of course, proved this to be untrue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hSeXj7HVmo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpE41fuF9Io

Old 03-21-2011, 07:17 PM

3,491 posts, read 5,291,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I have met people who tell me that they are Cherokee, or whatever...and are very prideful about it...that is fine...but are they any better than me? I don't know. But some sure act like it...go figure it...
QUESTION: Why did God invent alcohol?

ANSWER: To keep the Irish and the Indians from ruling the world!

Regards,

-- Nighteyes (half Indian, one-quarter Scots-Irish)

PS: For the stuck-in-the-mud Fuddie-Duddies out there, this is meant as a bit o' humor!

Old 03-23-2011, 05:19 PM

18,856 posts, read 30,440,508 times
I thought it was funny! Maybe you have to be Irish to appreciate that joke.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I thought it was funny! Maybe you have to be Irish to appreciate that joke.
Nah, you just have to be willing to laugh at yourself. Self-deprecating humor is truly appreciated among the Irish, and among all of the American Indian groups with which I'm familiar.

However, and particularly in both of these populations, there are families, groups and communities where alcohol-related problems are causing too much pain and suffering to be funny, ya know?

Old 03-24-2011, 12:07 PM

532 posts, read 875,691 times
"White" Americans do generally possess a minority of Amerindian admixture and a smaller amount of West African admixture. This conservative estimate notes that, "In European Americans from [Pennsylvania] State College, the west African and native American genetic contribution are low (0.7% and 3.2%, respectively)." Since this admixture is generally so low as to have no influence on phenotype, I believe that these people, technically "impure" though they are, should identify as white, Caucasian, or with whatever European, Middle Eastern, Central Asian, or North African background they possess.

Old 03-24-2011, 12:46 PM

1,205 posts, read 2,221,995 times
I have a blond haired blue eyed cousin in Arkansas that has an Indian role card and can go to indian hospitals and all that but I guess it was from his dad who I'm not related to.
I knew another guy who looked very white who could also go to the Indian hospital in Oklahoma, you could see the Indian features in his mom though.
I've always been told I have some Indian blood and I think I probably do along with French, German, and Irish. African wouldn't surprise me.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:30 PM

959 posts, read 1,113,890 times
You know what is funny is seeing so many Anglo celebrities claiming to be part Native American even though their phenotype looks European, yet you never see George Lopez claiming Native American ancestry even though it is extremely obvious by his phenotype that he has Native American ancestry.

George Lopez's phenotype would racially blend at an Indian tribe a lot more than Brett Favre for example that's for damn sure.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:53 PM

Where do the World's "whitest" people come from?

Please read thru this entire thread...

Old 03-24-2011, 01:56 PM

532 posts, read 875,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Blood View Post
You know what is funny is seeing so many Anglo celebrities claiming to be part Native American even though their phenotype looks European, yet you never see George Lopez claiming Native American ancestry even though it is extremely obvious by his phenotype that he has Native American ancestry.
According to his DNA test administered on his talk show, he allegedly only has 32% admixture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or