Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 10:37 AM

1,354 posts, read 6,376,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sautille42 View Post
Thanks for your suggestions! You've given me a lot to work with, here. Related to Cyanna's advice about obtaining a death certificate - it never occurred to me that my great-grandfather might have listed his father's real name on various documents over the course of his lifetime, even though I've done it myself on many occasions. I'm really glad I asked about this here. I'll let you all know what I find, though it make take a while as I'm a very busy full-time student!

Oh, and Cyanna: His "new" name was Irving Stein. I don't know if it was the first half or the second half of the name that was cut off. His wife's name was Sylvia. He was a furrier and I once heard he also did some sort of talk radio work on the side. Their last address was in Wilkes-Barre PA. Irving died in the 1980s or very early 90s but I don't know what year. I also don't know exactly what year he was naturalized. His children were William, Frieda, and Flora, all deceased. Unfortunately, that's all I have.

If anybody's up for a fishing expedition, I'd love the company. You could be responsible for restoring a family name!

Enjoy your holiday weekend, All.
My dad's family is from Wilkes-Barre. There are some great genealogy groups that can help you find info for Luzerne County. Look for marriage, death, and birth certificates. Also look for census records and obits. Sometimes the cemeteries themselves have information.

The_Courthouse_Gang : The Courthouse Gang of Luzerne Co., PA

Luzerne County Genealogy Project - PAGenWeb
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 07:41 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,509,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
A trivial observation - most experienced genealogists will tell you names generally didn't get changed at Ellis Island. Your ancestors probably did it on their own later for their own reasons, to sound less foreign for example or to fit with other family members who had already done the same.
I beg to differ, at least in regards to my own family surnames.

On my mother's side, one of the surnames was originally "Von der Berg." At Ellis Island it was recorded as "Funderburk." We have found several variations of this surname, all of which originated at Ellis Island.

Now, whether it was the clerk or the immigrant who made/acknowledged the change, no one currently living is likely to know.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:03 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,158,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
I beg to differ, at least in regards to my own family surnames.

On my mother's side, one of the surnames was originally "Von der Berg." At Ellis Island it was recorded as "Funderburk." We have found several variations of this surname, all of which originated at Ellis Island.

Now, whether it was the clerk or the immigrant who made/acknowledged the change, no one currently living is likely to know.
Ellis Island butchered the names of many immigrants.

US Census workers also did a lot of damage. Census workers used to walk door-to-door taking the census. There was no such thing as mailing out forms for people to fill out then mailing them back.

The census workers often spelled names the way they thought the sounded (which is also what they did at Ellis Island).

So when researching you'll find that Krohn becomes Crone, Schmidl becomes Schmidal, Gibbons becomes Gibbens or Gibbins, and Berenov becomes Berenoff.

Old 01-19-2016, 02:50 PM

4 posts, read 2,337 times
Default We must be related...

Quote:
Thanks for your suggestions! You've given me a lot to work with, here. Related to Cyanna's advice about obtaining a death certificate - it never occurred to me that my great-grandfather might have listed his father's real name on various documents over the course of his lifetime, even though I've done it myself on many occasions. I'm really glad I asked about this here. I'll let you all know what I find, though it make take a while as I'm a very busy full-time student!

Oh, and Cyanna: His "new" name was Irving Stein. I don't know if it was the first half or the second half of the name that was cut off. His wife's name was Sylvia. He was a furrier and I once heard he also did some sort of talk radio work on the side. Their last address was in Wilkes-Barre PA. Irving died in the 1980s or very early 90s but I don't know what year. I also don't know exactly what year he was naturalized. His children were William, Frieda, and Flora, all deceased. Unfortunately, that's all I have.

If anybody's up for a fishing expedition, I'd love the company. You could be responsible for restoring a family name!

Hello! We must be related and I'm hoping you will somehow see a reply to a post so many years later. Irving Stein is my great grandfather as well. Did you ever find anything? I was also under the impression the name changed at some point and can't find information on any of the Stein family. (And yes, same Irving - furrier, married Sylvia - children William Frieda and Flora)

Irving and Sylvia passed in the late 80s - I want to say 1988 and are buried in Conklin, NY. (pretty sure)

Old 01-19-2016, 06:40 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,528,085 times
Census
1925 New York, Brooklyn
Stein,
Irving 24, Silvia 24, Florence 2, William 0

1930 New York, Brooklyn
Rented 1728 54th st
Stein
Irving 29, Sylvia 26, Florence 7, Wm 4 11/12, Freda 2
Children born New York, Irving&Sylvia born Russia, parents born Russia, language Yiddish, immigration 1921. He naturalized. Foreman in fur industry.

1940 New York, NY
Rented 1843. 48th st
1935 same address
Stein, Irving 38, Sylvia 38, Florence 17, Wm 14, Freida 12
Furrier, he employer, born Russia, naturalized

Burial
Temple Israel Riverside Cemetery, Conklin, Broome Co, NY
headstone, shared
Irving Sylvia
30 June 1901 30 December 1901
1 March 1988. 21 June 1987

Social Security death index
Irving Stein last known residence 18704 Kingston, Luzerne Co, Pennsylvania.
Here's the big one:
Petition for Naturalization #79788

Citizenship Intentions filed# 165636
5 January 1924 Supreme Court, Kings Co, New York

July 25, 1927 ...(some signatures July 27, 1927)
District Court, Eastern District New York

Irving Stein
1556 51st st, Brooklyn
age 26 born 28 June 1901 Belz, Russia

Emigrated 15 January 1921 from Havre, France
on the ship "La Savoy" arrived port of New York on 23 January 1921.

I renounce allegiance to
Ferdinand I King of Romania and or the State of Russia

Wife with me--Sylvia born 15 July 1901 Russia
Children Florence & William

Witnesses
Abraham Switzer, furrier, 1688. 54th st, Brooklyn
Louis Stein, merchant, 1679. 59th st, Brooklyn

I will see if I can locate the ship's manifest.
You can get a copy of the naturalization file from the NARA using his name & file numbers. It is worth doing because it may have photos & letters.

Old 01-19-2016, 06:48 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,388,956 times
do a y dna test, at least 67 markers, you will start matching people from the old country, that at least give you a location and a verson of the name

Old 01-20-2016, 09:20 AM

historyfan, Thank you for the information! I came across some of it via ancestry.com - didn't have any luck with the ship manifest myself - I believe he spelled the ship's name wrong as well based on what I did find.

Thanks also for the tip on getting the naturalization file! I will look into that.

Old 01-20-2016, 09:33 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,528,085 times
Yes, ship appears misspelled on naturalization certificate.

I'm wondering if he & Sylvia married in New York, rather than immigrated as married couple.

Because I found a likely candidate on the La Savoie arrival 24 Jan 1921, but as a son not a husband.
Strul Steinik, single, 19
Passenger ID 100126040340
Frame 854, line 10

La Savoie
Le Havre
New York
Steinik,
Ruvin 48 married male
Ruza 45 married female
Strul 19 single male
Sura 15 single female
Nationality Roumania, Hebrew
Last place residence Otall, Roumania
Date arrival Jan 24, 1921

This might be helpful
http://belz-austrian-empire.blogspot.com/?m=1

Last edited by historyfan; 01-20-2016 at 09:57 AM.. Reason: add

Old 01-20-2016, 12:28 PM

416 posts, read 588,198 times
Quote:

If he died as late as the 1980s-1990s, you should have no problem locating his death certificate. You might have some gold if you get it - depending on who filed it and how accurate their information is, of course.*

You may also want to try and obtain the death certs of William, Frieda and Flora to see what information you can take from them.

In the end, though, you're going to have to do what all genealogists (amateur and professional) do: take what you know, prove or disprove it, and start digging, collecting proof along the way. Don't be surprised if it's a) a work of several years and/or b) permanent brick wall due to loss or damage to records, but it's always worth the try.

Good luck!!

_______
* For my great-grandmother, her son-in-law filed the death certificate, and he confused her first husband's name with the name of her father. Big error, and one that Aunt A would never have done.

Old 01-22-2016, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
Yes, ship appears misspelled on naturalization certificate.

I'm wondering if he & Sylvia married in New York, rather than immigrated as married couple.

Because I found a likely candidate on the La Savoie arrival 24 Jan 1921, but as a son not a husband.
Strul Steinik, single, 19
Passenger ID 100126040340
Frame 854, line 10

La Savoie
Le Havre
New York
Steinik,
Ruvin 48 married male
Ruza 45 married female
Strul 19 single male
Sura 15 single female
Nationality Roumania, Hebrew
Last place residence Otall, Roumania
Date arrival Jan 24, 1921

This might be helpful
Belz, Austrian Empire & Surrounding Shtetls
Interesting. For two reasons...one some initial digging on the names you've found above doesn't go anywhere. You would expect some 1930 census information on ancestry for these names. I didn't spend a lot of time, but didn't find anything other than the ship manifest for Strul or Ruvin. The second interesting thing - and it's a guess, but the name Ruvin. Could that be considered Reuben or become Reuben? The reason that is interesting to me is that Irving's son - William - that was called out on the naturalization papers previously mentioned - his middle name was Reuben.

Thanks again for continuing to look - you've been VERY helpful!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy