U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 06:54 PM
bjh

26,094 posts, read 22,780,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Human populations are no different from populations of any other fauna, and no knowledgeable naturalist would treat them differently. Biologists stopped using the word 'race' when they started getting death threats from people whose understanding of science is what they want to believe about it. Now they use the term "subspecies", which means exactly the same thing, when talking about other animals, and keep their mouths shut when talking about humans.
Very well said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 06:49 AM

2,227 posts, read 4,284,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
No.

There is no such thing as a "race". It is not based in any kind of biological science because it is a social construct.
Anthropologists and biologists never use race when discussing human populations.

Ethnicity is a more valid term to use.

Race: Social Concept, Biological Idea
----

Hispanic is not a race.

Old 09-17-2010, 11:45 AM

13,692 posts, read 15,115,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolůn View Post
----

Hispanic is not a race.
I never said it was.

Old 09-18-2010, 07:49 PM

14,131 posts, read 26,250,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Now they use the term "subspecies", which means exactly the same thing, when talking about other animals, and keep their mouths shut when talking about humans.
I'm not a scientist but aren't there more genetic differences between sub-species than between human races, which are nearly genetically indistinguishable?

Old 09-01-2011, 01:20 PM

11,076 posts, read 7,180,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
I heard about a DNA test that can tell you the % of what races and nationalities you are. I saw this on some tv show (don't know which one) and would love to know where to get one and how much do they cost.

I'm always being mistaken for other races or nationalities when I'm "supposed" to be German/Irish (don't look like either!)
Iíve been thinking about having one of these done, I know where Iím supposed to be from, but there are so many questions. I think this test could answer why we have attractions to places, people and even our tastes in music. It really would be interesting.

It would be nice if threads could concentrate on the OPís intent.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:35 PM

24,757 posts, read 32,896,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
Iíve been thinking about having one of these done, I know where Iím supposed to be from, but there are so many questions. I think this test could answer why we have attractions to places, people and even our tastes in music. It really would be interesting.

It would be nice if threads could concentrate on the OPís intent.
I had two analyses done, and the results were interesting. One determined where your earliest origins were, and about 1/3 of me is from Southern and Eastern Europe. Another analysis showed I had a lot of distant cousins in Russia, Ukraine, Romania, Poland, Hungary and Finland.

Old 09-01-2011, 03:39 PM

11,076 posts, read 7,180,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I had two analyses done, and the results were interesting. One determined where your earliest origins were, and about 1/3 of me is from Southern and Eastern Europe. Another analysis showed I had a lot of distant cousins in Russia, Ukraine, Romania, Poland, Hungary and Finland.
What a large family you have, I wonder where those cousins tests would say they were from!

Old 09-01-2011, 04:29 PM

2,457 posts, read 6,088,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I had my paternal side run, our daughter has had her maternal side run, and my sister is in the process of getting our maternal side; all with the National Geographic testing and have registered with FamilyDNA. For me, I feel it was worth the expense and effort, but other than being interesting, I find it not much to get excited about.

Old 09-01-2011, 04:29 PM

8,309 posts, read 33,329,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
No.

There is no such thing as a "race". It is not based in any kind of biological science because it is a social construct.
Anthropologists and biologists never use race when discussing human populations.

Ethnicity is a more valid term to use.

Race: Social Concept, Biological Idea
Well, the problem is that, although even the most dissimilar humans are about 99.9% identical genetically, that 0.1% does account for distinct genotypical and phenotypical heritable traits. We are all human, but there are very real sub-groups with markers that can be identified by forensic analysis (as well as visual inspection). That's not a social construct. While it's accurate in a sense to look at an ethnic Japanese, an ethnic Eastern European Jew, a phenotypical scandanavian, an African and a native Amazon tribesman or a German Shepherd, a mutt, a Chihuahua and a labrador and say "there is no difference, they are all human/dogs", it is also somewhat silly to say "German Shepherds don't exist".

Old 09-01-2011, 05:42 PM

13,692 posts, read 15,115,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
While it's accurate in a sense to look at an ethnic Japanese, an ethnic Eastern European Jew, a phenotypical scandanavian, an African and a native Amazon tribesman or a German Shepherd, a mutt, a Chihuahua and a labrador and say "there is no difference, they are all human/dogs", it is also somewhat silly to say "German Shepherds don't exist".
huh?

the phenotypical differences between humans has nothing to do with "so called" race.

how we look is due to an arrangement of alleles and how those genes code for physical differences which are expressed superficially.

the differences are purely superficial and have nothing to do with "race".

what are you talking about "german shepherds don't exist"?

in a family of brunettes (no brunettes for 10 generations on either side of the family) a red head appears with blue eyes ... now what? you think mom was getting some on the side from the milkman?

Last edited by LuckyGem; 09-01-2011 at 05:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy