Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 02:52 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,511,852 times

Advertisements

My results surprised me – Big Time. My family genealogy/tree shows us arriving in American during the mid-1700's and on both sides it was from England where our ancestors had lived for a long time. So I've always thought of myself as a Brit-American.

The reason I even did the DNA test was because I had read somewhere that redheads originated in northwestern Russia. Curious to see if indeed I came from that area at one time, I did the test thinking it would come back with a small percentage of Russian or Scandinavian. Also many Brits have told me that I do not look British but Celtic, in other words Welsh or Scot, so I wanted to see if they were correct.

Results came back....I am almost entirely Scandinavian with some Celt thrown in there. Only 15% Brit!!!! (I suspect of the Germanic tribe variety since 23 and Me separated it from the Celt)

Also, it said I am of a minor population, so far at least, to have a smidgen over 3% Neanderthal in me. (That finally answers my question concerning my hairy back, beard, long hairy arms, and ominous looking protruding forehead – JUST KIDDING.)

Another thing that surprised me was that it showed .1% Asian - most likely from India. Then reading some other posts that would mean it possibly showed up right before my father's family left England, (this is where both the wee bit of Asian and Brit showed up – which makes sense since that whole side of the family are dark haired, dark eyed and dark skinned – and I don't mean just brown hair either, black hair and eyes with an olive skin tone.) Yet, my thinking had previously been that the dark coloring might possibly be African since his family had landed in the south and stayed there. But not so, it's Asian instead.

With so much Scandinavian/Celt in me that also means my father has it in him too.

Anyway, I figure that since my family had been in England for many years, the Scandinavian in me might be Viking. After some historical research it seems the best possibility since England was ravaged by their attacks for so many years and then taken over by them for more years. Which would make me guess that the Celt in me is from Scotland, with it being the main or first pillaging location for the Vikings, ilo Wales. With that Celt in me I can safely say that my lineage proves that I am from the original humans who settled in England before the Germanic tribes overtook them. But then the meanies pushed us Celts into the most uninhabitable, rocky areas of the Island.

Now I am doing a lot of historical research - especially on the Vikings and Celts.

Anyone else doing the same from being surprised by their DNA results?

A question as well, if the Celts came from the area above Germany, wouldn't that make them the original Poles? Does anyone know? If that's the case than I am a Norsepolean. He he, say it fast and it sounds like Northpolean.

Also it's weird for me to know that I am more Neanderthal than Asian. Just weird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 03:34 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,684,025 times
As someone studying Anthropology and who has had my DNA done, I know a bit. I actually just did a research project on this. We have similar backgrounds. The UK was an Island. It just lived through invasion after invasion I have a paper trail mostly to the UK with a bit of Germany. My DNA test showed no UK. It showed central European and Scandanavian. More detailed tests showed Orcadian. Makes sense as much of Scotland was invaded by vikings. Orkney was especially hard hit The UK was first conquered by germans AKA(SAxons), then came Scandanavians. Last of all came the Normans. Yes, the Normans were French, but only generations before they too were Vikings , Normans AKA North Men . I too have a little Asian and Iranian with none traceable in my tree. Whose DNA test did you use. I even have a touch of Italin, which in my case probanly came from Roman era Brittain.
I think your assumptions are correct

Old 07-29-2013, 03:56 PM

6,386 posts, read 4,792,422 times
I did the test through the Genographic Project with National Geographic Society, and was a bit underwhelmed by the results. My primary match was with the British Isles. I was not surprised since both sides of my family come from Scotland, and probably Ireland. My second closest match was to Germans. This was somewhat surprising, but could have come by way of German invasions in the British Isles.
The thing that underwhelmed me is that my dad is one-quarter Native American, and that didn't show up at all. (He even looks NA, with straight black hair and a darker complexion.) I'm still glad I did it, and will contribute what I know about my family to the Project, when I get around to it.

Old 07-29-2013, 04:25 PM

393 posts, read 1,494,247 times
I knew a lot of my background through genealogical research, and I suspected Taino and African blood since my paternal grandmother is Puerto Rican, and that's a common mix with Spanish there, but it was very nice to have it verified.

The part that surprised me was the Northern, Eastern and Central European. I was aware that I have a lot of Southern European through the Spanish and Basque blood, and one of the genealogists that worked on my father's paternal side said that that our last name came from an Old Norse word from when the Vikings raided Gascony in France, though the GEDMatch Eurogenes K36 Admixture only shows 1.53% Fennoscandian. NatGeo's Geno 2.0 shows 13% Northern European, DNA Tribes shows 10.0% Caucasus Mountains, GEDMatch also shows 3.5% North Sea, 7.45% North Central European, 2.79% South Baltic, and 1.90% East European. Most of my DNA comes from East and Southeast Asia on my mother's side.

I'd like to know where the Central European fits in.

Old 07-29-2013, 04:39 PM

Thanks for your replies. It's good to know I'm not the only one caught dumbfounded by the results which I got from 23 and Me and wherever ya'll received yours from.

Jenny, my Viking sister, I live in Orlando too. I wonder if we are related at all? he he. I have an old high school friend who is an anthropologist so I asked him for some help but his specialty is South America. Though he did mention that his first wife is a redhead who is half Brit half Pole. Didn't help me much. Jenny, if you don't mind, please keep in touch on CD when you find out more historical data. There is just too much data on the Internet for me to read and it just confuses me because many of them try to slam the others studies.

Old 07-29-2013, 04:49 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,684,025 times
If your DNA is on GedMatch, Ancestry.com or FamilytreeDNA. com we could compare results

Old 07-29-2013, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyMominRI View Post
If your DNA is on GedMatch, Ancestry.com or FamilytreeDNA. com we could compare results
Naw, it's in neither of those. I think it's only in 23andMe.com's site.

My father might have something in Ancestry. com so I'll ask him.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:14 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,205,891 times
I'm planning to do the dna test, thought I'm still not sure where. But one thing if you get a lot of scandanavian is to look up the origion of family surnames. Turns out the one from my maternal grandfather is actually anglo scandanavian, a combination of a danish personal name and an alglo-saxon ending denoting 'son of'. Several other names from the south eastern portion of Scotland also have viking/danish connections.

If your ancestry in in the eastern half of the British Isles its not unlikely it involves resident Danes who came to settle during the Danelaw and stayed when it was defeated. Interstingly enough, Old English is a combination of the Anglo-saxon language and the old Danish language so they had a very significant impact on the British Isles beyond just the invasions.

Old 07-30-2013, 03:10 AM

10,203 posts, read 17,798,934 times
http://blogs.ancestry.com/ancestry/2...d-ethnicities/

Quote:
According to Donnelly, only a couple of groups, namely the Cornish and Welsh, have populations that can be genetically characterized as distinctly British. Most other populations in Great Britain show more recent ties to groups such as the Anglo-Saxon Germans, Danish Vikings, and Scandinavians.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Thank you for you post. You know, I figured that as well, that most of the British Isles, especially folks with long ancestral ties or families that moved to America in the early part of settling, would have DNA similar to mine. It just makes sense with all the invasions of the island. I wonder if the Australian settlers have similar DNA? Would the Irish also be considered Viking/Celts or just Celts or part of the Anglo-Saxons? Do you know? Some places I read it says they are Celtic and others say Scotland and Wales are were the Celts ended up, with Scotland having the purest of Celtic DNA genes?

Sorry I just have so many questions.

Does anybody know if the larger part of Poland still retains a Celtic DNA? Or was their origin in another country? Wouldn't that be Salvic then? Is it a mixture of Salvic and Germanic maybe? Hum.

I have yet to find much helpful research on the Neanderthal save the general area they lived. Are the Scandinavian, Slavic or Germanic peoples descendants of them? Or Russian maybe? Whatever they were I have a lot of Neanderthal in me. Which, like I said earlier, is odd to me considering one of my great, great, great and maybe another great ancestor during the late 1600 or early 1700 had been from India yet I have more Neanderthal in me than I do a more recent addition to my genes. Yikes, does that mean the Vikings that invaded England housed more Neanderthal genes in them, or was it the Celts who first roamed the island that carried the numerous Neanderthal genes?

Anyway, I like to tell folks I am a smidgeon over 3% European Yeti, he he.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy