Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 02:20 PM

160 posts, read 321,313 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am trying to find some information on my grandfather. All of the documents that I can find say that he is born in Cleveland, Ohio. Yet I can not find a birth record for him. I was wondering if anyone in the Cleveland area could tell me of a site that I can use to search for him. or if some one would be willing to go to a local library?

His name is Cornelius John Riley. He was born May 22, 1890 to John Riley and Rachel Booth. John Riley died shortly after Cornelius was born and Rachel and Cornelius then moved to Massachusetts. Cornelius is the only child that they had. John and Rachel are both from England. When they moved to Ohio is not known.

Thank You very much for any help or ideas that you can give me
Dorrie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2010, 04:22 PM

1,830 posts, read 5,349,988 times
His birth record would be archived with the Ohio Historical Society. Read here:
What Vital Records Do We Have (http://www.odh.ohio.gov/vitalstatistics/whatrecs.aspx - broken link)

Old 10-15-2010, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcgCali View Post
His birth record would be archived with the Ohio Historical Society. Read here:
What Vital Records Do We Have (http://www.odh.ohio.gov/vitalstatistics/whatrecs.aspx - broken link)

Thank you! I went to that site, I couldn't find a way for me to search their database. Do you know if there is a way that I can search to find out if he was born there?

Old 10-15-2010, 08:41 AM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
Contact the State of Ohio Vital Statistics. If he's on record there they will tell you.

This site will help you with contact numbers.

Old 10-15-2010, 04:45 PM

1,830 posts, read 5,349,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Contact the State of Ohio Vital Statistics. If he's on record there they will tell you.

This site will help you with contact numbers.
Ditto.

They do not have an online database. You need to write or call. If you follow the links at the state site, you end up at this page which has the links you need to find the correct county or court for your specific request.
OHS - Resources - Archives Library - About Birth Records in Ohio

Quote:
1867 through December 19, 1908
Ohio made it a law to record births in 1867. County probate courts kept birth records between 1867 and December 19, 1908. There is no statewide index to birth records from 1867 through December 19, 1908. Go to the list of county probate court birth records held at the Ohio Historical Society. If the Ohio Historical Society does not hold a county's birth records, please contact the county's probate court. A list of county courthouse contacts is available at Ohio County Courthouse Addresses.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:10 AM

1 posts, read 1,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorrieMA View Post
Hi, I am trying to find some information on my grandfather. All of the documents that I can find say that he is born in Cleveland, Ohio. Yet I can not find a birth record for him. I was wondering if anyone in the Cleveland area could tell me of a site that I can use to search for him. or if some one would be willing to go to a local library?

His name is Cornelius John Riley. He was born May 22, 1890 to John Riley and Rachel Booth. John Riley died shortly after Cornelius was born and Rachel and Cornelius then moved to Massachusetts. Cornelius is the only child that they had. John and Rachel are both from England. When they moved to Ohio is not known.

Dorrie
My husband's Mother , Mildred May Marshall was the daughter of Rachel Booth from her second marriage to Robert Boyd Marshall. Rachel was born in Blackburn, Lancashire England. She died in 1934 in Mass. She was born in 1869. When she married the second time to Robert Boyd Marshall. they had two daughters.. Mildred and Glenora. born in 1906..
And Mildred wrote that they had a son Robert Livingston, but I think it may have been from his previous marriage
I was trying to write to you but this is new to me. prefer an email.
but I have a picture of all 7 sons with their parents. and even a picture of Tom.. on back it says Our Tom (Skipper)..

Old 07-22-2011, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caroljo View Post
My husband's Mother , Mildred May Marshall was the daughter of Rachel Booth from her second marriage to Robert Boyd Marshall. Rachel was born in Blackburn, Lancashire England. She died in 1934 in Mass. She was born in 1869. When she married the second time to Robert Boyd Marshall. they had two daughters.. Mildred and Glenora. born in 1906..
And Mildred wrote that they had a son Robert Livingston, but I think it may have been from his previous marriage
I was trying to write to you but this is new to me. prefer an email.
but I have a picture of all 7 sons with their parents. and even a picture of Tom.. on back it says Our Tom (Skipper)..
OMG! what a pleasure to meet you!! I have done research on Rachel (my grandmother) on Ancestry and have traced her to your mother but could get no farther then that. Thank you so much for posting I will send you a message with my email. I would love nothing more then to have contact with you. Thank You!!

Old 03-17-2016, 05:39 PM

2 posts, read 1,162 times
Default Thomas Riley

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorrieMA View Post

Dorrie

My Step Children are children of Thomas Riley and Andrea Larrabee.

Would like to add any information you have collected on the family to add to the Tree I have developed for them.

Any help would be appreciated.

Wes Sylvester [email]WesSylvester@gmail.com[/email]

Old 03-19-2016, 06:08 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,141,847 times
I know there are some Riley's who live in Monroeville Ohio.

Old 04-28-2016, 07:25 PM

Default thank you Wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by WASylvester View Post
My Step Children are children of Thomas Riley and Andrea Larrabee.

Would like to add any information you have collected on the family to add to the Tree I have developed for them.

Any help would be appreciated.

Wes Sylvester WesSylvester@gmail.com
Hi Wes! I am so sorry that it has taken me so long to get back to you. I have such a small amount of information on Tom Riley and would love more info about him. My father was his brother, James. My dad passed away in 1975 and after that we lost touch with most of the family. From what little I have learned when their mom, Agnes passed away the family sort of split up. Tom and his brother went to live with an older brother in Chicago for a while and then I believe Tom moved back to MA or NH to be with his father and his new wife.
His dad was Cornelius and mom was Agnes. I have found that Cornelius was actually born in England. It drove me crazy trying to find his birth records in Ohio!!

I am working on a tree at the FamilySearch.org site. I am not really sure how you would go about seeing it. When I get it figured out I will send you a link to it. I have a whole three ring binder on the Riley family and would be so willing to share it with Tom's children.

Talk to you soon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy