Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 12:58 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,343,229 times

Advertisements

Tip: check your local public libraries - ours offers Ancestry.com access for free within the library building. I have had increasingly good luck with familysearch's (LDS site) new beta. Awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2010, 05:06 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,137,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Didn't realize Ancestry was becoming such a monopoly. Too bad because their search engines cause huge numbers of bad hits even when you delimit parameters (like birth & death dates) which never seem to actually "take" in the end results.

On another note, the numbers of incorrect trees has skyrocketed with people simply copying bad information and never checking primary sources.
Ancestry's purpose (much as they'd like it to be) is to do your research for you. The researcher still has to evaluate the information a search returns.

But yes, there are too many bad researchers out there that mistakenly think they're doing genealogy by simply copying and pasting any and everything that they find, whether it's correct or not.

It doesn't make Ancestry a bad site. It's the big, bad corporate giant. But as a long (long, long) time genealogist. It's indispensable, and worth every penny to me.

Currently, Ancestry is advertising "companion" subscriptions to Footnote for half price.

Old 12-07-2010, 06:51 AM

10,207 posts, read 17,857,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Currently, Ancestry is advertising "companion" subscriptions to Footnote for half price.
Except the deal is for everyone, not just Ancestry subscribers.

Old 12-07-2010, 05:41 PM

56 posts, read 52,892 times
I've been wanting to explore mine. I know it is Irish of some kind.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:20 PM

2,852 posts, read 6,482,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NationalistFighter View Post
I've been wanting to explore mine. I know it is Irish of some kind.
Irish ancestry can be very difficult and frustrating due to the loss of numerous records, but it can be done. For someone like yourself just starting to explore Ancestry would be a good place to start. However, if you need help there are plenty of us on here ready to jump in. Just ask
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy