Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 04:07 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
That should be "wanna-be" Native Americans. I have not met any Native Americans, Authentic ones, that is...that look white.
oh, you mean like these guys?

The Free Cherokees New Phoenix

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-26-2012, 06:41 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,522,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
well that's a half or one third or ten percent truth when african american like myself have pictures of full blood indians hanging on walls and in photo albums it's a given that we have 100% indians in ours family tree.

my great grandmother was 100% indian and my great grand father maternal was african american, by the way my great grandmother tribe cut off all contact with her when she married my great grandfather.
I know that Black Americans with Native American ancestry exist. I have two friends (sisters) from high school who are Black and Native American who actually attend powwows and do the traditional tribal dance, etc. They have deep ties to both Black American and Native American culture.

I was referring to the Black Americans who have not connection to any Native American tribe (by blood or other affiliation) who "claim" Indian ancestry. That needs to stop. There is access to too much information for that ignorance to continue.

Old 10-26-2012, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
What you said was:

Apparently you do. And it most certainly DOES imply, "all". You know, all of "these people".
Once again, my statement did not mean ALL Native Americans. If that is what you believe that I meant then by all means....carry on. Not sure what point you are trying to prove though.

Old 11-03-2012, 05:00 PM

438 posts, read 1,530,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
Seems like now days, every one I meet who says their 'Native American' or 'American Indian'...looks...well...looks 'white'...

What's up with that?

Not that there's anything wrong with that...but I remember how the original native American people looked, from the northern tip of what is now Canada, to the South most point of South America...this whole hemisphere consisted of brown or golden skin natives...

Same with American tribes...they were not 'white'...they were 'red' or 'brown' or 'copper' in color...with jet black shiny hair...

But now days, it seems everytime someone tells me their American Indian...the look 'lilly white'...

And again, there's nothing wrong with that...(human is human)...

But as far as distinct Indian features, color and tone, where did it go?

It's because they're pretendians.

Urban Dictionary: pretendian

Old 11-04-2012, 10:00 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,573,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I know that Black Americans with Native American ancestry exist. I have two friends (sisters) from high school who are Black and Native American who actually attend powwows and do the traditional tribal dance, etc. They have deep ties to both Black American and Native American culture.

I was referring to the Black Americans who have not connection to any Native American tribe (by blood or other affiliation) who "claim" Indian ancestry. That needs to stop. There is access to too much information for that ignorance to continue.
Yes I know of who you speak.......

Old 11-04-2012, 10:03 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
Seems like now days, every one I meet who says their 'Native American' or 'American Indian'...looks...well...looks 'white'...

What's up with that?

Not that there's anything wrong with that...but I remember how the original native American people looked, from the northern tip of what is now Canada, to the South most point of South America...this whole hemisphere consisted of brown or golden skin natives...

Same with American tribes...they were not 'white'...they were 'red' or 'brown' or 'copper' in color...with jet black shiny hair...

But now days, it seems everytime someone tells me their American Indian...the look 'lilly white'...

And again, there's nothing wrong with that...(human is human)...

But as far as distinct Indian features, color and tone, where did it go?
Some of us still have those features while our siblings and children have more German characteristics.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:38 AM

130 posts, read 243,419 times
My Grandfather was dark skinned with jet black hair when he was younger he was half Cherokee his mother on the other hand was full blooded, my mother, my aunt and them all had darker skin than I, keep in mind though just because somebody looks white doesn't necessarily mean their lying about their heritage. I mean I got more of that German bloodline in more so than Cherokee my mother was half German half Cherokee but you couldn't tell she was half German somehow I inherited more of that gene than anything else, haha figure that out.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:37 AM

1 posts, read 2,681 times
I have met Natives of all colors. Most lighter skinned Natives are mixed somewhere in their lines with another ancestry, more likely European mix. I am of mixed race, and a stand out in my family, I guess I took after my father's side who is all European that I can trace, blonde and blue eyes. My mother's side, her father, farther in his genetic line is a trace of Blackfoot Native, and then he is Polish/English. His wife, My grandmother, was Native, Anishinabeg(Chippewa) and possibly some European too. Most of the people on my Mom's side have black here, and brown eyes, and a tint to their skin. I have a Olive, golden tint to my skin as well, just was born with the blonde hair, with a large birthmark on my head, where hair is Black. I get old all sorts of things, I look mixed blood etc. but most of the people that say that to me that I am mixed are other Natives, and not of the European descent. I do tan beautiful, I most say and I am definately proud of my heritage.

Old 11-15-2012, 04:22 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,787,006 times
Indigenous tribes were considered Caucasian, and they were no where near as dark as Africans. Many African Americans who may have NA blood often boast of native heritage, even though they look completely African American.

Old 11-18-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
Indigenous tribes were considered Caucasian, and they were no where near as dark as Africans. Many African Americans who may have NA blood often boast of native heritage, even though they look completely African American.
Sorry but that is incorrect and it actually doesn't even make sense considering how they were treated historically and as a matter of policy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy