U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 12:34 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,702,209 times

Advertisements

It must be a regional thing. In North Dakota, there isn't a whole lot of mistaking.

As regards skin tone, everybody is whiter now than they were. Look at photos of white people 100 years ago, and you'll see a lot darker faces than you tend to see today. The same thing holds true for NMs.

Old 11-18-2010, 03:06 PM

935 posts, read 2,142,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
That should be "wanna-be" Native Americans. I have not met any Native Americans, Authentic ones, that is...that look white.
Yeah, maybe you should check out more tribes then . I've met Native Americans who looked whiter than some of the European Americans I've met. Everyone is different.

Old 11-18-2010, 04:40 PM

3,491 posts, read 5,291,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisW View Post
As regards skin tone, everybody is whiter now than they were. Look at photos of white people 100 years ago, and you'll see a lot darker faces than you tend to see today. The same thing holds true for NMs.
I think you meant "NA's" (aka NDN's).

Anyhoo, there's a simple explanation for that. Most First-World human beings, regardless of ethnic, racial, regional or other background, aren't required to spend nearly as much time in the sun as was required of their ancestors. Less sun = paler skin.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:35 PM

2,671 posts, read 2,704,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
Not by me it hasn't...

I just also notice with the 'whitening' of American tribes, their hostility towards 'dark skinned' peoples, begins to reflect that of the original invadors or settlers...

Tribes that once shielded and protected escaped slaves, and had no sense of color value in them, are no longer like that...

Infact, in Oklahoma, there was a large tribe that was expelling members who had to much 'negroid' features to them, but weren't doing the same for those who had to much 'Caucasion' features...

Native Americans reflected neither caucasions, nor negroids...but today, they seem more comfortable with 'caucasion' featured members...

Obviously there's something phycological behind that...

And I suppose in another 100 years, there will be no genetic trace left at all of how the original natives of this continant looked...except in paintings...
You have no idea what you're talking about.

There are many people who have "cards" now, but I assure you there are many more who are NDN, look NDN, and were raised with thier culture.

THe 'large tribe' of which you speak is the Cherokee Nation. They began allowing people who were only descendents (they could trace an ancestor to the Dawes Rolls) to be enrolled, regardless of blood quantum. There are still many, many Oklahoma Cherokees who have speak the language, and have plenty of blood quantum.

THe issue about the African Americans is that there were African Americans that traveled with the Cherokee, Muscogee, Seminole, Choctaw, and Chickasaw on the Trail of Tears. When the original Dawes Rolls was initinated these African Americans were enrolled as Freedmen. Cherokee Freedman, or Muscogee Freedman, etc. Each tribe has their own constitution, and each tribal council can add laws and amend that contstitution. One Cherokee council allowed the descendents of freedmen to enroll as Cherokee, and Cherokee Tribal Council that had different members (after an election) changed that new law of allowing freedmen to enroll as Cherokees. To enroll in Cherokee or Muscogee you have to be Cherokee by blood, or Muscogee by blood.

Any African American that is part NDN and can trace that relation to the Dawes Rolls can enroll.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:38 AM

3,334 posts, read 5,115,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
I'm not dispelling what you have experienced, but I haven't noticed it and I'm around many NDNs everyday. I don't know anyone who puts down or looks down on another NDN who is darker. In fact, I'd say the opposite is what I've experienced.
Ah...yup. And even then, not so much if the people know the lighter skinned person's family.

Old 11-23-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
Ah...yup. And even then, not so much if the people know the lighter skinned person's family.
Or have had the opportunity to observe and interact with the person in question. As I've often said and had proven to me, its more a matter of heart than blood quantum...

-- Nighteyes (who happens, due to the mysteries of genetics, to look like a German Indian... )

(Whereas his younger sister, who got all the good looks in the family btw, looks purely Choctaw...)

Last edited by Nighteyes; 11-23-2010 at 01:11 PM..

Old 11-23-2010, 03:52 PM

7,092 posts, read 5,451,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
Seems like now days, every one I meet who says their 'Native American' or 'American Indian'...looks...well...looks 'white'...

What's up with that?

Not that there's anything wrong with that...but I remember how the original native American people looked, from the northern tip of what is now Canada, to the South most point of South America...this whole hemisphere consisted of brown or golden skin natives...

Same with American tribes...they were not 'white'...they were 'red' or 'brown' or 'copper' in color...with jet black shiny hair...

But now days, it seems everytime someone tells me their American Indian...the look 'lilly white'...

And again, there's nothing wrong with that...(human is human)...

But as far as distinct Indian features, color and tone, where did it go?
From my experience, A lot of people that say they are Native American or American Indian are mixed.

I personally have some Indian blood in me (I am predominantly Black, you could say that I am truly African-American)

Where I live, I see some red, brown and copper Native Americans. A lot of times they are mistaken as Mexicans.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:30 PM

3,334 posts, read 5,115,010 times
Dang, have any of you people spent any time at all in places like Arizona, New Mexico, the Dakotas, Montana, Washington, Alaska or Oklahoma?

Old 11-24-2010, 12:54 PM

4,585 posts, read 10,474,363 times
Quote:
Dang, have any of you people spent any time at all in places like Arizona, New Mexico, the Dakotas, Montana, Washington, Alaska or Oklahoma?
LOL, sorry it just struck me funny this afternoon, while it's not funny that non-ndn people remain clueless about our cultures. Oh and BTW may I please add Oregon my home state plenty of ndn's there.

Old 11-24-2010, 03:50 PM

Quote:
<----- Raising his hand.

Also in several counties in Mississippi and Alabama.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or