U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 12:08 PM

3,359 posts, read 6,344,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerntraveler View Post
some indians like me dont have enough indian in them to make themselves look indian l.the vast majority of my heritage is white.
And therefore you are the poster child of this thread...

Love ya anyways...

Old 12-06-2010, 12:56 AM

131 posts, read 82,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Oh geez, hasn't this topic been beaten to death already?
Nope!

I thought it to be somewhat of an interesting question, myself!

Old 04-01-2011, 12:37 PM

959 posts, read 1,113,890 times
The Non Hispanic Native American who actually looks Indigenous in phenotype is becoming an endangered species. For every 1 Non Hispanic Native American who looks like Pocahontas you got 10 that look like Marcia Brady claiming to be "Native American".

You see more Indigenous Brown looking Native Americans in Los Angeles than you do in Oklahoma if yall catch my drift. Most of the illegal immigrants coming from Mexico and Guatemala look a million times more Native American in phenotype than these than these pink skin cracka looking Anglos going around claiming to be "Native Americans".

Old 04-05-2011, 04:29 PM

3,491 posts, read 5,291,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Blood View Post
The Non Hispanic Native American who actually looks Indigenous in phenotype is becoming an endangered species. For every 1 Non Hispanic Native American who looks like Pocahontas you got 10 that look like Marcia Brady claiming to be "Native American".

You see more Indigenous Brown looking Native Americans in Los Angeles than you do in Oklahoma if yall catch my drift. Most of the illegal immigrants coming from Mexico and Guatemala look a million times more Native American in phenotype than these than these pink skin cracka looking Anglos going around claiming to be "Native Americans".
Tiger Blood,

On the other thread, you already proved that you personally doubt the veracity of what you've been claiming. Shall we bring THAT discussion over here?

Old 04-05-2011, 05:10 PM

1,205 posts, read 2,221,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Blood View Post

Well I never met my great grandma who was Indian but I'd like to think she would want her descendants to remember that she lived.

I agree some people can make to big of a deal out of being 1/16 or something. Nothing wrong with buying a book, visiting historic sites, talking to people who know about it etc but yes it can be taken to far. Still, even people who do don't really bother me that much.

Not all of the people claiming Native American heritage are white, there are a lot of black people out there too. I know a lot of escaped slaves took refuge in Indian territory (Oklahoma), Bass Reeves being one that I can think of.

Old 04-12-2011, 04:50 PM

3,491 posts, read 5,291,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendlyFeller View Post
I know a lot of escaped slaves took refuge in Indian territory (Oklahoma), Bass Reeves being one that I can think of.
That also happened in the pre-Removal Southeastern United States. Did you know, for example, that the term "Seminole" probably came from the Creek Nation, and that it means "runaway"?

Old 04-12-2011, 07:49 PM

2,671 posts, read 2,704,830 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
Seems like now days, every one I meet who says their 'Native American' or 'American Indian'...looks...well...looks 'white'...

What's up with that?

Not that there's anything wrong with that...but I remember how the original native American people looked, from the northern tip of what is now Canada, to the South most point of South America...this whole hemisphere consisted of brown or golden skin natives...

Same with American tribes...they were not 'white'...they were 'red' or 'brown' or 'copper' in color...with jet black shiny hair...

But now days, it seems everytime someone tells me their American Indian...the look 'lilly white'...

And again, there's nothing wrong with that...(human is human)...

But as far as distinct Indian features, color and tone, where did it go?[/quote]
Here we go again. Come to Oklahoma and you will see NDNs who look NDN. Or, Montana, or SD, or WA, or OR.

I do understand what you're saying. Lots of people claim to be Native, who are really just wannabes. Others are Native, but have been mixed down. My brother's kids are 1/4 and they look White. But trust me.........there are plenty of us Natives who look Native. And those features vary by tribe and region. We're not all "Dances with Wolves".

Old 04-12-2011, 07:54 PM

2,671 posts, read 2,704,830 times
I've said this before, but it merits me saying it again. What is the freaking deal with White people and their obsession with Cherokees? Gawd!

Oh, and my previous post........NM, AZ, MN, and Alaska can be added to that list. I'm sure I've left some states off of the list.

Why are White people so ignorant about us? It's astounding.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:04 AM

3,359 posts, read 6,344,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
I've said this before, but it merits me saying it again. What is the freaking deal with White people and their obsession with Cherokees? Gawd!

Oh, and my previous post........NM, AZ, MN, and Alaska can be added to that list. I'm sure I've left some states off of the list.

First off...I love all people...even you...whether your skin tone is light or dark...

I try to rate people by their intent and heart...

And I have met many people of all stripes with good intent, and good hearts...

I grew up friends with some very light skinned 'indians'...in the Idaho area...they were cool...and totally identified 'indian'...but had the luxury of being able to blend in with the majority, when it benefited them...

Not their fault...not their fault at all...

There was a time when Indians were looked at as a threat...but once sent to reservations...and 'controlled'...it seems they became a 'novelty'...

A symbol of rebellion...a kind of romantic 'sexy' rebellion.

It was kind of a way for anyone who felt blanco, standard and bland, to add a bit of 'octane' to their persona...

To claim American Indian heritage, makes some feel a bit more 'exotic'...

That goes both for former slaves and European settlers...

The original American Idians were indeed incredible people, and if not for them, the original pilgrims would of all starved during that first dark cold winter...

Old 04-13-2011, 01:55 PM

375 posts, read 923,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post

Well, I'm more light brown than white but I'm sorry if it offends you that my Caucasian ancestors found it easier to mix with the Cherokee who were living next door to them in southeastern Tennessee than to import a few Hopi from out west. :P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or