U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 03:24 PM

24,574 posts, read 10,756,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
To claim American Indian heritage, makes some feel a bit more 'exotic'...
Is that in your opinion, or theirs? Exotic, really? I worked in Elk City and an old white lady said if she had any indian in her, she would cut her arm and let it bleed out. Western Oklahoma was Indian territory and eastern Oklahoma was Oklahoma terrritory. There is a great difference in Indian/white relations in varying areas of the country. Let's hope Jersey Shore never goes native.

There is no generalizing about any topic. So please don't put statements out like that.

OTOH, I have yet to meet an NDN who says, gee I feel so walmartish because I am part white.

Old 04-13-2011, 06:28 PM
Status: ""My religion is kindness." -- The Dalai Lama" (set 16 days ago)

2,884 posts, read 1,997,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
...I have yet to meet an NDN who says, gee I feel so walmartish because I am part white.

Old 06-18-2011, 12:19 AM

55 posts, read 127,284 times
That's because the overwhelming majority of "Native Americans" in America today are heavily mixed. Pure, authentic Native Americans are a small minority in their own race. I mean there's SO many fakes. Every single self proclaimed "Native American" I've met has white skin, european/caucasian features, light eyes, hair, you get the picture. I'm not saying that white people can't have Native American ancestry. If they happen to have some Native American ancestry and they can prove it, they can claim it all they want. However, would I see them as a Native American? No. My point is, I don't see people with pale skin, caucasian features; people who are obviously predominantly White European, as "Native Americans". I see them as whites with some native ancestry, or mixed race, nothing more. I mean come on, I have Mexican, Colombian, Peruvian, Ecuadorian (ect.) friends who look (and most likely have) more Native in them than most of the people in the Cherokee (ect.) reservations.

Old 06-18-2011, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Blood View Post
The Non Hispanic Native American who actually looks Indigenous in phenotype is becoming an endangered species. For every 1 Non Hispanic Native American who looks like Pocahontas you got 10 that look like Marcia Brady claiming to be "Native American".

You see more Indigenous Brown looking Native Americans in Los Angeles than you do in Oklahoma if yall catch my drift. Most of the illegal immigrants coming from Mexico and Guatemala look a million times more Native American in phenotype than these than these pink skin cracka looking Anglos going around claiming to be "Native Americans".
*Claps* Couldn't have said it better myself.

Old 06-18-2011, 12:50 AM

I know that not all Native Americans look alike but I am certain Native Americans don't and never had pale white skin and caucasian features unless they are of mixed race. Lets not forgot what the REAL natives look like:

(Choctaw)
http://www.galen-frysinger.com/graphics/apache20.jpg (broken link)
(Apache)
I come across too many "Indians" that look like this and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to tell that these people are exactly what they are: White People

Old 06-18-2011, 02:15 AM

10,542 posts, read 13,511,850 times
My neighbor was an Apache and so were his parents; they lived on the res and didn't speak a word of English. Their children were dancers and drummers. The neighbor's gf is Cherokee-Irish and a whole lot prettier than he is.

I lived in Oklahoma. I found far more mixed Indians of a younger age. The grandparents were not necessarily mixed and they did not speak English.

Old 06-21-2011, 01:45 PM
Status: ""My religion is kindness." -- The Dalai Lama" (set 16 days ago)

2,884 posts, read 1,997,323 times
With all due respect, this question has been answered, and answered, and answered, and beaten down into the ground, and broken off at the surface...

Can we move on now????

-- Nighteyes (One-half Mississippi Choctaw, one-quarter Scots-Irish, one-quarter German)

Old 06-22-2011, 07:56 PM

222 posts, read 233,810 times
Let me tell you this i have 15% native in me more than likely and wouldn't claime native at all. I also have some Irish blood more than the usual I might say but I claim what i look mostly Black. I am not racist but I know thats how I would be perceive by the world but one thing is a fact people who have so small of a percentage of native in them usually claim it more than people who have a 50 percent or more. I know people in american so far as in columbus who are half wouldn't claim the mix too much at all. I know most blacks who are half who don't claim it even if they are asked and some do a little. But some blacks you would have too pry it out of them. But those who have little native blood in them claim it more than those who have 50 %. I was told by one person that if you have 1 % native in some areas of the U.S. you would be considered a native. I saw those people who were really half or 90 % they looked like natives and had black shiny hair and also had brown skin. Those that were mostly Irish were red hair and had pale white skin. So definately know what you mean it's not a long line of intermarriage it's just some people find out they have native in their back ground and go too far, maybe they want to feel more american. Here's a subject for debate why do blacks and some people who have lots of native blood in them won't claim it?

Old 06-22-2011, 08:08 PM

222 posts, read 233,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColombianaBoricua View Post
That's because the overwhelming majority of "Native Americans" in America today are heavily mixed. Pure, authentic Native Americans are a small minority in their own race. I mean there's SO many fakes. Every single self proclaimed "Native American" I've met has white skin, european/caucasian features, light eyes, hair, you get the picture. I'm not saying that white people can't have Native American ancestry. If they happen to have some Native American ancestry and they can prove it, they can claim it all they want. However, would I see them as a Native American? No. My point is, I don't see people with pale skin, caucasian features; people who are obviously predominantly White European, as "Native Americans". I see them as whites with some native ancestry, or mixed race, nothing more. I mean come on, I have Mexican, Colombian, Peruvian, Ecuadorian (ect.) friends who look (and most likely have) more Native in them than most of the people in the Cherokee (ect.) reservations.
Most people on that cherokee reservation aint native belive me they did a scientific study of certain tribes who were on that land claiming native/jew. These people were found out by genetist not to be natives or jews at all. I saw this on nat geo which is sometimes reliable. But anyway me and my brother use to say the same thing why is that so. I also once live with a cambodian who my brother was going with and end up having a baby with she thought for years native americans were white due to paintings and those people who claimed it. ijust think those who claim native american who are white or any other color maybe trying to feel more american than others who don't have it in them or who do but don't claim it.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:22 PM

5,748 posts, read 6,799,554 times
When I first met my friend Julie I though she was Filipino, but she is actually Navajo. I would not characterize her as having a European look at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy