Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2012, 08:46 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,389,787 times

Advertisements

I'm sure it's a bit of both. Some intermarriage in the past caused the stereotypical Native American traits to become less dominant. And also in recent years it's become fashionable for many Americans to claim some distant Native American lineage. There's another thread on this forum talking about the predominance of Cherokee descendants in the South.

I used to have a customer who was a Native American from Minnesota. He had all the traits you would expect of a prototypical Native American (tan skin, long black hair, long face with very pronounced nose and ears). So they are still out there even today.

Old 09-10-2012, 01:03 PM

1 posts, read 6,145 times
I'm from north dakota. I'm Native american....well mostly I'm Mandan, Hidatsa, Arikara, Sioux, French, and Irish. but most of my life i'm told that my mum's dad was half sioux/french. my mother's maiden name is "Mongram". My father's mum was 1/8 irish but her maiden name is "Smith" i did some looking and so far i find that some early irish americans or immigants took the surname "smith". So far i'm the only one of my father's family trying to find out as much as i can about our irish roots. now some of my cousins on that side say it's actually welsh not irish. Or my grandma could of gotten the name from her parents given to them during the boarding school era.

Old 09-10-2012, 01:55 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Faced_Arianrhod View Post
I'm from north dakota. I'm Native american....well mostly I'm Mandan, Hidatsa, Arikara, Sioux, French, and Irish. but most of my life i'm told that my mum's dad was half sioux/french. my mother's maiden name is "Mongram". My father's mum was 1/8 irish but her maiden name is "Smith" i did some looking and so far i find that some early irish americans or immigants took the surname "smith". So far i'm the only one of my father's family trying to find out as much as i can about our irish roots. now some of my cousins on that side say it's actually welsh not irish. Or my grandma could of gotten the name from her parents given to them during the boarding school era.
RFA: have you ever checked out Irish history? It's astonishing the degree to which it resembles Native American - White relations, in terms of there being communally-held land that was taken away, suppressed language, etc. Mind-blowing. You read this stuff, and you wonder, what's the problem? All the parties involved were White! Why did (do, still?) the English look down on the Irish? Weird.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:09 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times
I haven't read all of these posts, so please excuse me if I repeat what has already been said. I looked for one of my old text books, but I seem to have lost it or I would give you more complete details.

It's a matter of recessive genes. The American Indian "look" skin color, black straight hair, dark eyes, cheek bone structure, etc. are all carried by recessive genes. The "oriental" look is also recessive. A cross with someone without any of these genes will cause those distinctive gene influence to disappear in about 3-4 crosses. (4 generations) Now and then, both parents will have those unknown recessive genes, things click and a child will be born with the old facial features.

So, it's very possible for a person to miss having the influence of these genes in only one cross.

Old 09-19-2012, 12:31 PM

40 posts, read 151,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inthesierras View Post
In order to get any financial services, you must prove an ancestor was on the Indian rolls from the 1800s. This is a very hard thing to prove. Alot of people have claims, but very few are ever granted. Unless you can prove direct lineage from someone on the rolls, you don't get anything.

My husbands family has Creek and Crow Indians in their background. I did some research and it was easy to track down their tribes. When they married into my husbands family, they never went to the reservations to register. It was shameful and they didn't want to do that. The old photos of great granny are amazing, there is no way she is white!

maybe she didn't know what tribe she came from, or maybe she was ostrized from her tribe.

many hispanic people with indigenous american ancestry, don't know what tribe their native ancestors came from including me.

Old 09-21-2012, 01:32 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,076,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
RFA: have you ever checked out Irish history? It's astonishing the degree to which it resembles Native American - White relations, in terms of there being communally-held land that was taken away, suppressed language, etc. Mind-blowing. You read this stuff, and you wonder, what's the problem? All the parties involved were White! Why did (do, still?) the English look down on the Irish? Weird.
Too true, I'm currently reading a book called Making Sense of the Molly Maguires Making Sense of the Molly Maguires: Kevin Kenny: 9780195116311: Amazon.com: Books and it delves deeply into all of that.

Old 09-21-2012, 01:44 PM

2,309 posts, read 4,381,646 times
My wife is half Inuit northern tribe Canadian Arctic and Irish.
Indigenous tribes breeding with Europeans is the most plausible explanation as to the reason behind indigenous tribes having stronger Caucasian physical characteristics in modern day.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:10 AM

4 posts, read 70,730 times
I don't know if this thread is still relevant or not, but this is a complete load of ****! The things you come across when doing research papers! Well first off friends, Indians or "native Americans" (if you want to be a Yankee ass kisser) were NOT and are NOT white, tan, or light brown! And not a pale copper color like racist Disney made Pocahontas. They were black! Believe it or not! Black with a reddish hue to their skin. Hence, christopher columbus's renaissance ass thinking, "i must be in india! Look at all of the dusky indian people here". Not all black people are from Africa or have African ancestery. Look at all of the people in India. Not the Brits and Brit descendants, but the unshown majority. Those dark people are what the western world would identify as black. The world is full of black people, everywhere, like howJ a person is never more than 6 feet away from a daddy long legs spider. It is amazing at how thoroughly holy, god supporting America has brain washed the entire world! Like how people in Latin America are ready to gut some one if you call them a Mexican. Most of those people below the us boarder are of Spanish or portuguese (white) and Indian (black) descent and therefore are technically the same thing. Mexican, guatamalen, Argentinan, and the rest of that crap are not colors or races. Some people (like everyone that I live by here in Los Angeles) have more European blood in them than others, but if one of those people (who are white) says that they have Indian blood needs to realize that their 7th generation great grandmother's blood has been lost. Just look at black people in America who have ancestors who were slaves, they are all mixed and matched up but are still identified as black. Not mixed or multiracial. Ethnicities are black (and a **** load of people who are black have skin that is brown, tan, and copper), white, and (I'm not gonna be a bigot and say yellow) but golden like people in the far east. And those birracial people who have identity crises. Like, if you arent a birracial child than you are what you subconciously know you are Mr. Denial. God this **** annoys the hell out of me! You would not believe how many people consider themselves to many things to put on a christmas list! Wow, that was longer than expected.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:49 AM

1,704 posts, read 2,322,845 times
Real Native American

WANNABE Native American!

Old 09-25-2012, 02:03 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,953,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liyya View Post
I don't know if this thread is still relevant or not, but this is a complete load of ****! The things you come across when doing research papers! Well first off friends, Indians or "native Americans" (if you want to be a Yankee ass kisser) were NOT and are NOT white, tan, or light brown! And not a pale copper color like racist Disney made Pocahontas. They were black! Believe it or not! Black with a reddish hue to their skin. Hence, christopher columbus's renaissance ass thinking, "i must be in india! Look at all of the dusky indian people here". Not all black people are from Africa or have African ancestery. Look at all of the people in India. Not the Brits and Brit descendants, but the unshown majority. Those dark people are what the western world would identify as black. The world is full of black people, everywhere, like howJ a person is never more than 6 feet away from a daddy long legs spider. It is amazing at how thoroughly holy, god supporting America has brain washed the entire world! Like how people in Latin America are ready to gut some one if you call them a Mexican. Most of those people below the us boarder are of Spanish or portuguese (white) and Indian (black) descent and therefore are technically the same thing. Mexican, guatamalen, Argentinan, and the rest of that crap are not colors or races. Some people (like everyone that I live by here in Los Angeles) have more European blood in them than others, but if one of those people (who are white) says that they have Indian blood needs to realize that their 7th generation great grandmother's blood has been lost. Just look at black people in America who have ancestors who were slaves, they are all mixed and matched up but are still identified as black. Not mixed or multiracial. Ethnicities are black (and a **** load of people who are black have skin that is brown, tan, and copper), white, and (I'm not gonna be a bigot and say yellow) but golden like people in the far east. And those birracial people who have identity crises. Like, if you arent a birracial child than you are what you subconciously know you are Mr. Denial. God this **** annoys the hell out of me! You would not believe how many people consider themselves to many things to put on a christmas list! Wow, that was longer than expected.

I'm not really sure how many NDNs you've been around, but my mom is a full-blood. My grandparents were full-bloods. My great-grandparents were full-bloods. My uncles and aunts are full-bloods. A lot of my friends and their families are full-bloods. Not one of them are black. What are you talking about?

Last edited by Fullback32; 09-25-2012 at 02:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy