Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 12:29 AM

257 posts, read 295,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
... they only mentioned the Celtic Iberian similarities. ...

I think they said the DNA would have come from 2000 years ago--if that's really true-wow. They are onto something.
We are only at the tip of the iceberg in understanding our origins, with DNA testing and genome mapping available. Don't forget those that crossed the Bering Land Bridge, the Polynesians that cross the Pacific, and perhaps those that came from Europe even before the Celts. The Clovis People are supposedly descended from Asian (Paleo Indians) and European (Solutreans ... sp?) people and are the original north americans. That goes back a lot more than 2000 yrs ago - more like 22,000.
Here is a segment of the show that focused on the Central Band of Cherokee, who believe through oral history that the are decedents of Jewish people. They are actively gathering DNA to prove this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHNRf9H7nD4
I am confident evidence with show we are all connected.
I found the full History Channel - "Who Really Discovered America" program on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjCgi5JdaL0

Last edited by BraveHeart01; 04-06-2014 at 12:50 AM..

Old 04-06-2014, 08:59 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,729,615 times
Most mixed natives have low blood quantums and are mixed with European descendants. I'm 50% and I certainly look native, when I tan I get super dark (proper redskin). Cherokees allow up to 1/200 blood quantums to join their tribe, would I view a 1/200 blood mixed European/Native as a North American brother/sister? No

Old 04-06-2014, 10:26 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,340,189 times
Why do people who claim to be Native American who have 1/16th or 1/32 Native ancestry look White? Gee. I don't know. It's a mystery for the ages.

Old 04-06-2014, 10:58 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,729,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Why do people who claim to be Native American who have 1/16th or 1/32 Native ancestry look White? Gee. I don't know. It's a mystery for the ages.
It's annoying as well, because these people will run around and tell everyone they are native and then make us real natives look bad. I've encountered this in FL a lot, these people will have powwows (a peoples gathering) and they will be filthy and will not have anything traditional about it. It's truly a slap in the face when first time goers (non-Natives) see these things and get the impression that all Natives must be this way...

Old 04-08-2014, 07:29 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,362,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveHeart01 View Post
We are only at the tip of the iceberg in understanding our origins, with DNA testing and genome mapping available. Don't forget those that crossed the Bering Land Bridge, the Polynesians that cross the Pacific, and perhaps those that came from Europe even before the Celts. The Clovis People are supposedly descended from Asian (Paleo Indians) and European (Solutreans ... sp?) people and are the original north americans. That goes back a lot more than 2000 yrs ago - more like 22,000.
Here is a segment of the show that focused on the Central Band of Cherokee, who believe through oral history that the are decedents of Jewish people. They are actively gathering DNA to prove this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHNRf9H7nD4
I am confident evidence with show we are all connected.
I found the full History Channel - "Who Really Discovered America" program on YouTube:

History Channel - Who Really Discovered America? - YouTube
Just an FYI the "central band of Cherokee" IS NOT A FEDERALLY RECOGNIZED TRIBE, you might call them a "culture club" or something like that. I had a rant all prepared to post about groups like this and what they do to the REAL Cherokee tribes but I won't.

Old 04-10-2014, 01:12 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,035,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveHeart01 View Post
I sorry but that is a pretty bad mishmash of the latest genetic evidence.

Native Americans (clovis people) have been definitively determined to have originated from Asia and not Europe.

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal...ture13025.html

Old 04-10-2014, 07:21 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
Just an FYI the "central band of Cherokee" IS NOT A FEDERALLY RECOGNIZED TRIBE, you might call them a "culture club" or something like that. I had a rant all prepared to post about groups like this and what they do to the REAL Cherokee tribes but I won't.

A cherokee clan is made to include non cherokee - even Captive whites. see below.

'a ni gi lo hi
The Long Hair Clan, whose subdivisions are Twister, Wind and Strangers, are known to be a very peaceful clan. In the times of the Peace Chief and War Chief government, the Peace Chief would come from this clan. Prisoners of war, orphans of other tribes, and others with no Cherokee tribe were often adopted into this clan, thus the name 'Strangers.' "

The eastern band of the Cherokee nation was not recognized by the Federal Government until they sold their land to the Government and it was handed back to them as a land trust in the mid to late 1800s. So I wouldn't be so quick to jump on these folks in TN. They may not have wanted to give their land to the Feds

As to the Uncle Tom comment, jeez. the Cherokee lived amongst the white settlers from the get go and as long as the white neighbors weren't Catawba, all was well - unless the red warriors were raiding or fighting. Enemy of my enemy type thing.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:20 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,436,414 times
There are plenty Native Americans who don't look white.

Old 04-10-2014, 12:42 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,824,355 times
The mixture of white or other blood with Native blood can make someone look different. I will say I often feel surprised at how many mixed-race people with Native features that should be dominant features, like dark hair/eyes/skin, end up with recessive traits like lighter hair/skin/eyes. It is interesting.

My dad is half Native American and totally looks Native American. I'm the only one of his kids who looks the most like him, the rest of his kids look like their mothers with light features.

Old 04-11-2014, 02:51 AM

318 posts, read 638,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
The mixture of white or other blood with Native blood can make someone look different. I will say I often feel surprised at how many mixed-race people with Native features that should be dominant features, like dark hair/eyes/skin, end up with recessive traits like lighter hair/skin/eyes. It is interesting.

My dad is half Native American and totally looks Native American. I'm the only one of his kids who looks the most like him, the rest of his kids look like their mothers with light features.
Native American features would be almond shaped eyes and high cheekbones. Having dark hair and dark eyes are not exclusive Native American traits. These are the traits of the majority of the world's population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy