U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2011, 06:03 PM

9,457 posts, read 16,404,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
Used (at least in my family) to describe Cherokee ancestry during a time when it wasn't so great to be known as a Native American

I have a family full of people with dark hair, skin, eyes, and also light skin, hair, eyes!

You never know how the genes will mix and turn out!
Never judge a book by its cover. We are on the Cherokee roles, and some of us look VERY caucasian.
Our family is caucasian as far back as my mother can determine, but grandpa had coal black hair and dark eyes and swarthy complexion. He and grandma had 4 kids--3 dark headed ones and 1 white blond. The white blond daughter was killed coming off a school bus when she was 8. Then my mother married dad, a strawberry blond man and they had 3 kids. My bro and I have/had medium brown hair but sis is white blond. Her life has been a complete mess and she has mental problems and I'm wondering if there is some fate attached to being a white blond in my family.

Anyway, many thanks for starting this thread--I followed some links and spent a very entertaining morning reading up on melungeons and Irish Travellers.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 11:54 AM

17,279 posts, read 24,957,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonaos View Post
The people who built Europe into the economic juggernaut that it is today were Black people originally. White people came from Russia and stole the land [Europe] from the Native [Black] Europeans. So the black Dutch are like the Native Americans - They are original people of Europe, and the white man stole all of Europe from black people in the distant past. Even Rome and Greece were founded and built by Black-Native-Europeans. They were just stolen and made to look white.

The terms Black Dutch and Black Irish, refer to the tiny remnant populations of indiginous [Black] Europeans who were still left in Europe in the 1500s...But as another poster noted, they were hunted like dogs due to racism.

Say wha.....? Hopefully this is some spoof of Afrocentric revisionist absurdity.

Anyway, back on topic.... I always assumed "Black Dutch" had the same connotation as "Black Irish".... essentially darker haired complected people.... marauding Spaniards striking again, lol

Old 10-17-2011, 12:55 PM
(-)

690 posts, read 1,587,090 times
i don't know about the proper use of the term however, i did for the first time in my life, see a black ammish woman working at one of the ammish markets. i'm not sure if she married into the religion or was adopted as a child. she definitely was ammish and was a part of the family working the market. i think i must have stared for about 5 minutes because it was something i had never seen before. i had heard of black ammish, but i had never actually seen one.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:08 PM

3,469 posts, read 6,934,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
According to a Smithsonian Institute web page Black Dutch refers to Gypsies who came from Germany.

That makes sense in the same way that Germans in America who said they were Deutsch were misunderstood and believed to be saying that they were Dutch. Add to that the fact that Gypsies had light brown skin, dark hair and eyes.

"Gypsies" in the United States

Where did the Gypsies originate? India.

"a small group of founders splitting from a single ethnic population in the Indian subcontinent."
--source: Origins and Divergence of the Roma (Gypsies)
Ah, so they are actually Gypsies from Germany & not Dutch at all.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:44 AM

1 posts, read 5,863 times
My son, and two of his cousins have hair like you mentioned. He also has the oral tradition of Black Dutch / Melungeon. Gr-gr-grandfather had German accent, was born in Pennsylvania, Ohio, or Kentucky. We also have questionable Cherokee on gr-gr-grandmother's side, so not sure about hair. Hair dresser favors Black Dutch over African or Native American.
Sharon

Old 05-23-2013, 08:20 PM

1 posts, read 5,534 times
Default I have been told that I am Black Dutch!!

My great aunt told me that my grandfather's ancestors are black Dutch!! She said the history of that is that there was a ship wreck and there were English and Spanish people on the boat and we came from the mixed babies!! Our skin is not very dark, we just tan very easily and our eyes are very dark, almost black!!! I don't know much more about it but she said that they know about our ancestry so I suppose it's true!! I've never gotten to meet my grandfather though so I haven't gotten to ask him myself!!

Old 05-25-2013, 11:08 AM

2 posts, read 6,910 times
You just said it like it is..
Same here.
Black Dutch is what native americans called themselves to hide the fact.. Because of their dark hair skin etc.. it was used to deny being Native American.. MY great Grandmother used that term all the time..
Her sisters, brothers etc.. Refused to deny being native american.
My grandfather also sat me down and explained to me that I was in fact carrying native american blood and to be proud of it..

I am also in my 60's.. So my grandparents were born in the 1800's ... I am sure this info is accurate based on the fact I heard it straight from the horses mouth.. ( so to speak)

Last edited by celh2000; 05-25-2013 at 11:16 AM.. Reason: clarification

Old 08-18-2013, 12:24 PM

2 posts, read 8,436 times
Default Black Dutch request info

My father-in-law refered his ancestors as Black Dutch. Both my father-in-laws parents were from Germany. His brothers/sisters had brown hair with light colored eyes, medium skin but if they get sun burned it doesn't last, it turns to a tan real fast.

If you get this and want me to ask around the family, I could see what I come up with. We just inherited some old family photos, don't know who these people are, but one of the Photographs below the photographers name says Tondern which is a Danish town in the souther region of Denmark. I think someone did the history of that side of the family, maybe I can find out from that.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:27 PM

831 posts, read 2,519,538 times
Black dutch? you mean dutch people who looks almost southern european/mediterranean?

I've been to netherlands and didnt saw any more noticeable dark featured people than I did in Denmark or Sweden (which was pretty much null). Although by dark featured I mean mostly darkbrown hair or brown eyes. Olive skin is extremely uncommon in northern europe (among natives).

Old 09-04-2013, 12:33 AM

4,690 posts, read 7,701,658 times
Black Dutch is only a social term to describe a person of Dutch ancestry who was "darker" than what was considered average for Dutch person. There is a tendency for light complexion among Dutch people, of whom many also have blonde hair, blue or deep green eyes as well. This I see in my own family which hails from Gelderland. Nevertheless there are dark/black-haired Dutch people too. In America, sometimes "Dutch" also meant German, because of the word "Deutsche".

Stereotypical Dutch has blonde hair and blue eyes.

"Black Dutch" like Albertina Soepboer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy