U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2014, 10:25 PM

1 posts, read 2,246 times

Advertisements

I am of black Dutch ancestry. I can show you a picture if you'd like.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 07:33 AM

19,001 posts, read 18,088,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vnnn487 View Post
I am of black Dutch ancestry. I can show you a picture if you'd like.
If you would like to discuss this topic intelligently, that's fine. Personal pictures are not encouraged.

Old 10-24-2014, 06:40 AM

1 posts, read 2,115 times
Yes my mother is half white and black from Suriname in South America it is a black carribean Dutch colony, its a black European carribean country on top of Brazil next to Guyana. alot of mixed people, black people, and Indian people, little bit of Asians as well but they arrived in the 20 first century.

Check out my face book

https://m.facebook.com/AlexUndercove...d%253D17&mdf=1

Old 10-24-2014, 10:21 AM

7,778 posts, read 9,907,805 times
My husband was told he was black dutch, but turns out his family was denying a Cherokee background.

Old 10-25-2014, 01:52 AM

22,266 posts, read 27,260,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
For "Black Irish", all theories may be right. A friend of mine from Ireland is Black Irish and my father in law was Black Irish. My friend says that they also call it Nordic Blond because they are towhead as little ones and it changes to dark when they are grown. He calls me "Hot Irish" because I am a ginger. Another Irish friend tells me there are Irish named "Gonzales" descending from Armada survivors. So there is that too.
This is fascinating. My father's hair was white when he was a child and turned dark as he got older. His family was more lowland Scots than Irish. As an adult, his hair was true black. My hair started black and stayed that way.

Old 10-25-2014, 07:43 AM

2,619 posts, read 3,937,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
Suggest you check the dates on the reference to "Black Dutch". If you find it was in the early 1800s, certainly by 1835-1860; then it was an ethnic designation taken by possible indian mix people for census and other federal government documents to identify them as caucasian american not "People of Color". So they could therefore own property, etc.

As you may remember, 1835 was the time of the Indian Removal under President Jackson after gold was discovered in Cherokee territory. Prior to that there had been many court decisions including Supreme Court that the Cherokee brought to be allowed to stay on their land.

So for several reasons (at least the Cherokee with whom I am most aware); called themselves "Black Dutch" and their white neighbors confirmed that 'Mr Baker' was white, was a relative, etc and had lived and farmed the neighboring farm. Therefore some of this group slipped through the net.

As to the original Black Dutch, I have heard there was a valley in Germany that had darker skinned Germans, but I heard it was attributed to the Moor take over of parts of Europe way back when. So the Black Dutch designation made some sense.

For "Black Irish", all theories may be right. A friend of mine from Ireland is Black Irish and my father in law was Black Irish. My friend says that they also call it Nordic Blond because they are towhead as little ones and it changes to dark when they are grown. He calls me "Hot Irish" because I am a ginger. Another Irish friend tells me there are Irish named "Gonzales" descending from Armada survivors. So there is that too.
An old post but I can tell you there are no Irish people called Gonzales unless they have recently come from Spain. No names from the Armada because there were no known sailors surviving to pass on their name or genes.

So much non factual information is posted on the net just perpetrating incorrect information. Google the name Gonzales and see what comes up? You won't find any connection to Ireland.

Old 10-29-2014, 08:44 AM

836 posts, read 2,967,165 times
On my Mom's side of the family, My grandmother use to talk about our family being "Black Dutch" which she thought they were Irish and Native American meaning Black Irish/Cherokee... Old People I never understood what she meant by this but everyone in the family would say it...She would say our line came from the wrong side of Ireland..again confused me and I still don't understand what she meant by that?! I have never found any proof of Native American through that line. But they are Irish. I have done extensive research on my family for the past 13 years and Yes My McCandless line came from Ireland.

I ONLY found about a year in half ago that the Native American came from my dads side of the family...My dad is Cherokee/Shawnee/Powhatan)..Which they too called it "Black Dutch". My dad would always tell me My great Grandmother was Black Dutch.. I would ask him what he means and he said she was a mix of Native Americans with English blood. which is true.. she was Cherokee/Shawnee/Powhatan/European-England. Let's just say I have very interesting lines..

Old 10-29-2014, 08:49 AM

836 posts, read 2,967,165 times
theoldnorthstate- The name González is a Spanish family name. The Portuguese variant is Gonçalves. In Spain, González is the second most common surname with 2.08% of the population having the surname (García is the most common surname in Spain)
González is also a common surname in Latin America. It is one of the five most common surnames in countries such as Argentina, Chile, Mexico, Paraguay, and Venezuela,.

Old 11-06-2014, 05:26 PM

61 posts, read 91,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
I've been told one of my ancestors and her family were "Black Dutch."

I'm still not sure if she was born in the U.S. or Holland or Germany. I think her father was either from Germany or Holland. I'm not sure which.
US ancestry used to be determined by language, anybody who spoke german language was considered a german, regardless of german being spoken in parts of france, switzerland, belgium , austria and of course germany. That even holds true in the present, see how spanish speakers from latin america are refered as "spanish" or coming from "spanish countries".

There were also many jews who fell under the "german" label in the US just because of their main language.

Most of the "dutch" that arrived in the States were in fact germans from pallatine (South-west)region in Germany. And even many of those who in fact were dutch speakers were in fact Belgian (flemish) and not from the Netherlands.

The only real dutch descendants I've seen in the States are from Western Michigan, and there is hardly any dark featured one. .

Old 11-20-2014, 07:58 AM

15,023 posts, read 7,556,211 times
Found this discussion fascinating, but did want to mention that there were many actual black American slaves who spoke Dutch due to being the property of Dutch families in the 1700s and 1800s.

Sojourner Truth only spoke Dutch until she was an adult due to being reared on a Dutch speaking farm in New York.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy