U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 09:40 PM

4,399 posts, read 3,745,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Say wha.....? Hopefully this is some spoof of Afrocentric revisionist absurdity.

Anyway, back on topic.... I always assumed "Black Dutch" had the same connotation as "Black Irish".... essentially darker haired complected people.... marauding Spaniards striking again, lol
In Butte, Montana where there was a huge contingent of Irish Americans, being Black Irish meant having clear white skin but very dark hair-- think Snow White. Most of the Irish population had freckles or ruddy complexion and some combo of red, strawberry blonde or auburn brown hair color.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2019, 10:17 PM

19,001 posts, read 18,088,528 times
I think these family stories about someone marrying an Indian or a black person but wanting to hide it are probably true. So many stories, over and over and over saying the same thing. It wasn't uncommon to lie if you wanted to be accepted--or if your life depended on it.

BTW, when I visited Ireland, it seemed that many of the people had very light skin and black hair, same with Cornwall in SW England. Cornwall was known for pirates. They say these stories of Spanish ships are wrong? Well, I wonder.

Old 02-24-2019, 02:42 AM

9,007 posts, read 10,618,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Same. And I don't have a clue with my own ancestry. One of my gggrandmothers was described as "Black Dutch" back in the 1800s and she is one of my brick walls. I've been told possibly part Native American, possibly part African American, possibly Romany. People who are much better at searching than I cannot find her ancestry.
Since this Black Dutch topic came back up. My gggrandmother, described as "Black Dutch" by ancestors back in the 1800s, is still a brick wall. I've since taken a 23 and Me test and I test as 100% European. Surprisingly had some Iberian Peninsula DNA (Spanish?) and I wonder if that might be what they were referring to.

Old 03-11-2019, 01:34 PM

2 posts, read 202 times
like I stated , me grt grandad was on the dawes roles , and I am a card carrying Cherokee . but the reg. says hese 1/4 . looked full blooded , but I believe if you where 1/4 cherokkee and say 1/4 Shawnee , only one was listed . so , you could have been 1/2 indian! could be wrong , but gp always claimed 1/2 blood . poss. one not on res. aswell . but like I stated grt gran sayed black dutch , but looked indian as well . my grt uncles name is quana , and looks like a full blood as well . all speculation with out a test !!

Old Today, 12:36 PM

317 posts, read 81,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I hope you're not serious. There's no evidence to support any of this.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Black Dutch as being associated with Indonesians who were at one time part of the Dutch colonies and were thus able to migrate to the Netherlands. Many darker skinned folks from there are of Indonesian ancestry.

Yes, in the Low Cpuntroes you find many Dutch with Indonesian, Guyanese, etc, blood but they are Dutch looking in a way.

Old Today, 12:58 PM

317 posts, read 81,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I always thought Black Dutch, like Black Irish, referred to people whose appearance is associated with R1b markers. It goes back to way before the Spanish Armada, a mere 500 or so years ago, but to the recession of the last galcial maximum around 10,000 years ago and predates Indo-European and Semitic admixture in the European population.

'Black' in these cases refers to hair color and slightly darker complection. Think Sean Connery or your average non-Mediterranean Spaniard. The type exists all along the Atlantic fringe of Europe including countries with a reputation for fair hair and complections like the Netherlands, Denmark, Norway as well as Portugal, Spain, France, Belgium, and of course, the British Isles.
Those are American terms, nobody in Ireland knows about Black Irish.
Most ireland in R1b. -Yanma.
The survivors of the Armada fled as soon as they could as Ireland was a remote and wild place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy