Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 01:45 PM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times

Advertisements

*sigh*

Old 12-22-2010, 04:27 PM

2,852 posts, read 6,482,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
*sigh*
Let's carry on, shall we, otherwise we are in danger of having a different sort of snobbishness causing dissent.

I remember when it was necessary to go tramping around cemeteries in person, no matter how bad the weather. Now we have Find-A-Grave and many friendly volunteers who will take photos upon request.

I remember when Higginson's Books was one of the premiere sellers of genealogical books.

I remember when the Genealogical Helper and Heritage Quest were THE genealogy magazines to buy.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:05 PM

Since we are on the topic of Mormons, here is an update to their fantastic FamilySearch.org site...

The New & Improved FamilySearch.org

Old 12-23-2010, 01:26 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
It doesn't seem so silly when a Mormon guest in your house tells you they will "seal" you and your family (and every other name they can find) to "make sure I go to Heaven" - whether I agree or like it or not. It is why they accept voluntary donations of records. You have NO CHOICE. Further, your relgious affiliations and rights are disgarded as you are now Mormon. In their eyes. you abandoned your church before your were sealed - even if your were dead 200 years. According to my Mormon guest, the goal of the church is to "seal" the entire human race. Her final words when she walked out of my house was this, "It doesn't make any difference what you want. You can't stop us and neither can anyone else. .

Sealed in ihe Holy loo?? If that is your wish, who can complain? I want my CHOICE to NOT be sealed to be respected. Zealots showe no regard for others, no remorse for mistakes made. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I remember that the Vatican was going into a holy snit fit and ordering churches not to open up their records for fear the Big Bad Ol' Mormons would come along and use the records to "seal" the Catholics into their church.

I guess if you believe in one brand of superstitious claptrap then you be afeared of another equally as ridiculous. I couldn't care less if they "sealed" my dead into their Temple bathroom!

What abysmal silliness!

Last edited by linicx; 12-23-2010 at 02:12 PM..

Old 12-23-2010, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
According to my Mormon guest, the goal of the church is to "seal" the entire human race. Her final words when she walked out of my house was this, "I doesn't make any difference what you want. You can't stop us and neither can anyone else. .

Sealed ihe bathroom?? If that is your wish, who can complain? I want my CHOICE to NOT be sealed in their chirch to be respected by the LDS Church. Mormons are selfish, have no regard for the wishes of others.
Linicx - I fully believe that you are telling the truth in regards to what your Mormon guest said. For over three years I had a relationship with a man who was a former Mormon, and his father and step-mother were strict Mormons. I personally heard his step-mother speaking about collecting recent obituaries from the local newspaper and then taking them to the temple to be "sealed" or perform Baptism of the Dead. This was considered her DUTY as a temple recommended Mormon. So, it isn't just dead ancestors who are baptised into the LDS church, it is also the recently dead, who were fully aware of the existence of Mormonism and chose to NOT be part of that religion.

They believe people who have died can be baptized by proxy, thus allowing them the opportunity to become Mormons after their death. The idea behind baptism for the dead is this: God wants each of us to be with him in glory. To effect this, he allows us to accept the Mormon gospel here on earth. If we do not, he sends us to a "spirit prison" until the Mormon gospel has been preached to us there and we convert.

Mormons believe that their church has missionaries in the "spirit world" who are busy spreading the Mormon gospel to dead people who have not yet received it. Should any of these dead people want to convert to Mormonism, they are required to abide by all its rules, one of which is water baptism. Hence the need for proxies to receive the corporeal waters of baptism.

The Mormon church has teams of men and women microfilming records of Catholic and Protestant parishes, cemetery records, birth and death certificates—virtually any sort of record pertaining to past generations. Temple Mormons hope, in time, to have all of the dead of previous generations baptized posthumously into the Mormon church.

The "Book of Mormon" is consider by LDS members to be a confirmation of the truth of the Bible. However, "Baptism of the Dead" is not mentioned in the Bible, nor in the "Book of Mormon." It is only found in "Doctrines & Covenants." This practice of "Baptism for the Dead" directly contradicts Mormon doctrine as found in "The Book of Mormon," as is shown by the following passage...

Alma 34:35-36: "For behold, if ye have procrastinated the day of your repentance even until death, behold ye have become subjected to the spirit of the devil, and he does seal you his. Therefore, the spirit of the Lord has withdrawn from you and hath no place in you; the power of the devil is over you, and this is the final state of the wicked."

In other words, those who die as non-Mormons go to hell, period. There is no so-called second chance by being baptised after death.

Now, in regards to all the records the LDS church makes available, yes, I am very grateful for it. However, it has always been my belief that we are all entitled to see these records, no matter who it is that transcribes them, because these ancestros are not the exclusive property of anyone, and neither should their records be.

Last edited by Cyanna; 12-23-2010 at 03:05 PM.. Reason: fixed typo

Old 12-23-2010, 02:39 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
I wasn't speaking as a moderator. I am the member who pushed for a Genealogy Forum long before I became a moderator. When I speak as a moderator my comments look like this:

It is a TOS violation to discuss moderator actions in any forum. This rule does not apply in this situation as I was speaking as a member who persues the hobby of family research and not a forum moderator. .

Every member is entitled to an opinion as long as it is within TOS guidelines. I should have said it is foolish to put family information online and not expect to buy it on a CD. If you still feel the need to say something, Yac is my Sr. Moderator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
If calling people who don't do things your way foolish isn't an insult to you than I don't know what is. That's not advice, it's just rude.

Well, when it's the moderator of a forum, I'd say it's pretty inappropriate and something needs to be said.

Yep, that's why I'm sick of it.

Normally I might but like I said, when it's the mod of a forum, I'm going to speak up. Now we can continue to discuss about whether I should or shouldn't be responding to elitists or we can just let it die.

Old 12-23-2010, 08:27 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Uh, guys? This is the GENEALOGY forum.... there is a religion forum. Please take this there. Fight about it all you want.

To get this back on topic -- I remember getting my aunt's information... my interest in this is ALL HER FAULT. She gave it to me, and many years later I went running with it....

Old 12-24-2010, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Uh, guys? This is the GENEALOGY forum.... there is a religion forum. Please take this there. Fight about it all you want.

To get this back on topic -- I remember getting my aunt's information... my interest in this is ALL HER FAULT. She gave it to me, and many years later I went running with it....
Point taken, and agreed

I remember when I first learned that family stories passed down verbally should NOT be completely believed!

Old 12-24-2010, 07:40 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Great idea. Maybe coming from someone else, the suggestion will be taken. Coming from me (a few posts back), it was ignored. I am totally willing to drop the subject as long as everyone else does.

Old 12-24-2010, 09:59 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
Point taken, and agreed

I remember when I first learned that family stories passed down verbally should NOT be completely believed!
Oh boy -- my dear father in law insisted his family came here via Ellis Island.

I never got the chance to tell him he was wrong... they were here much more before Ellis Island.... And I found them in BEDFORD COUNTY, PA....

Bedford and I have a very long history... most all my ancestors are from there......

ETA -- not wrong in a bad way -- I think he would have liked knowing his great great how many great grandfather had come here in late 1700's....

Last edited by Tallysmom; 12-24-2010 at 10:37 PM.. Reason: That came out wrong...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy