U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 06:26 PM

27,993 posts, read 19,641,873 times

Advertisements

Hi there!

I have names of ancestors back to my ggggrandparents on my maternal side. Very exciting already to have found census records, home addresses, etc.

So now what?

How do I find out things besides just names? My grandparents are either deceased or suffering from dementia so I cannot get help there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 07:23 PM

2,798 posts, read 5,360,350 times
Look for any local or county histories for areas where they lived. You might find an entry or two. Also try subscribing to Genealogy Bank where you can find obituaries, articles, etc...

Google Books is also good for locating ancestors in printed books. Check to see if your local library offers free access to Heritage Quest from your home computer, where you can also find more old books to search through and download, as well as Revolutionary War Pensions.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
Look for any local or county histories for areas where they lived. You might find an entry or two. Also try subscribing to Genealogy Bank where you can find obituaries, articles, etc...

Google Books is also good for locating ancestors in printed books. Check to see if your local library offers free access to Heritage Quest from your home computer, where you can also find more old books to search through and download, as well as Revolutionary War Pensions.
Very cool. Thanks for all the great new resources! I have a feeling I've found a new addicting hobby (like I need another one LOL)!

Old 01-09-2011, 12:15 PM

11,423 posts, read 19,433,663 times
And if they were from a small town, often small towns published factual stuff of a social bearing as filler in their local paper. I found tons of little bits of info like Miss Grace Smith recieved a visit from her sister Mrs Sarah Jones of Pittsburgh for two days. Or Miss Grace Smith attended the local church social and recited the Charge of the Light Brigade...

Old 01-09-2011, 12:52 PM

952 posts, read 1,862,113 times
You might try posting on one of the surname boards " looking for ancestors of................." I have found distant cousins this way, and great information.

Old 01-09-2011, 02:02 PM

What is a surname board? Is it like a message board? Sorry for the ignorance, but I am very new at this.

Old 01-09-2011, 09:31 PM

Yes, it's a message board that pertains to a specific surname. Here's a link to to the Ancestry message boards. You can also post to boards for a specific location. You don't have to join Ancestry to post.
Message Boards - Ancestry.com

Old 01-10-2011, 08:41 AM

Before you post to a message board, you might try searching the boards, someone may have already made a post on your family. Good Luck!

Old 01-10-2011, 08:48 AM

Thanks Cabe! I appreciate the additional information.

Old 01-10-2011, 11:00 AM

21,476 posts, read 26,078,274 times
Another message board is at genealogy.com.

You can also just google the names you are interested in. Do put in an approximate date so you don't get a lot of hits for current people search sites. . Try "John Doe 1825" , for example., or "John Doe Mary Smith" for married couples. That will frequently cause their marriage info to pop up if it is anywhere online. Actually, I think Bing does a better job than google.

Don't forget spelling variations. When I googled one of my ancestors using his first name. I got nothing. Using his first and middle initials, I found Civil War records. So be creative when you search.

Ancestry.com does offer a two week free trial. You could use that to see if anyone has posted a family tree with your names in it. The library version of ancestry.com has everything except the family trees, but you have to go to the library to use it.

And I heartily support checking out the genealogy room at your local library. You'd be surprised what may be available, even if your ancestors were not local families. The research librarians love to help people find stuff. It's what they do!

Be prepared for a lot of information. Go on and look at genealogy software (there is a thread here about that) and get organized. A typical newbie mistake is not documenting where you find info ( I am guilty of that!) so get in the habit of writing down the source of every single fact, even if the source is great aunt Minnie. You'll be glad you did!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy