Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 07:12 PM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathernandez View Post
My son is 13 years old he's 50% Native American 50% Hispanic and his dad family tribe is from Winslow Arizona does my son get any kind of benefits
My previous post about this may apply: http://www.city-data.com/forum/49741831-post173.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2018, 02:43 PM

419 posts, read 465,680 times
Years ago we were in Washington, DC. My friend was with me, a full blooded Southern Ute tribal member. Everywhere we went, they would look at her and then note, "Oh, yeah, my (great, great, whatever) grandmother was an Indian princess." We were there a week and by the end, we were laughing our heads off about the whole thing. I swear every other person we ran into had an ancestor who was an "Indian princess." (Of course, never mind that they didn't have that kind of hierarchy in Native American tribes.)

I got my DNA results and it turns out that I'm 32% Native-American. That being said, I have no idea what tribe. When I've done my genealogy, I have simply run across notations that "John Smith" (my whatever great-ancestor) married, "an Indian woman." So sad that they were so bad back then they couldn't even give folks a proper name. Sigh.........

Old 03-16-2018, 02:52 PM

661 posts, read 879,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagurl View Post
Years ago we were in Washington, DC. My friend was with me, a full blooded Southern Ute tribal member. Everywhere we went, they would look at her and then note, "Oh, yeah, my (great, great, whatever) grandmother was an Indian princess." We were there a week and by the end, we were laughing our heads off about the whole thing. I swear every other person we ran into had an ancestor who was an "Indian princess." (Of course, never mind that they didn't have that kind of hierarchy in Native American tribes.)

I got my DNA results and it turns out that I'm 32% Native-American. That being said, I have no idea what tribe. When I've done my genealogy, I have simply run across notations that "John Smith" (my whatever great-ancestor) married, "an Indian woman." So sad that they were so bad back then they couldn't even give folks a proper name. Sigh.........
32% is a lot of Native American !! congratulations. That is hard to find around.
Here is my Harappa World results from Gedmatch, I am about 26% Native American.

Population
S-Indian -
Baloch 3.82
Caucasian 8.57
NE-Euro 17.90
SE-Asian 0.71
Siberian 1.75
NE-Asian -
Papuan -
American 26.33 <====26% Native American
Beringian -
Mediterranean 24.53
SW-Asian 6.44
San 0.50
E-African 1.22
Pygmy -
W-African 8.23

Old 04-05-2018, 10:24 PM

1 posts, read 801 times
I just found out I am 25% native american. didn't even know i had has any in my blood line. Id love to learn more, any suggestions on how i found out what tribe i would belong to?

Old 04-06-2018, 02:43 AM

661 posts, read 879,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lashes1971 View Post
I just found out I am 25% native american. didn't even know i had has any in my blood line. Id love to learn more, any suggestions on how i found out what tribe i would belong to?
There is NOT way to know. We are the same people, doesn't matter if you are Cherokee or Mayan or Athabascan or Warao or Navajo or Aymara, etc.

Old 04-06-2018, 08:54 AM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lashes1971 View Post
There is no way to know from the DNA, you'd have to research your ancestry to find out. Are you Latin American? That's a high percentage to have and not know it unless maybe you're Latin American.

Old 08-29-2018, 09:22 AM

1 posts, read 633 times
My daughter is five years old her dad is Cherokee Indian and receives the check will she also receive one or only do or only when she’s 18 ?

Old 08-29-2018, 10:58 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,524,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babygirl0507 View Post
My daughter is five years old her dad is Cherokee Indian and receives the check will she also receive one or only do or only when she’s 18 ?

If "the check" you reference is a per cap check for members from that tribe--money derived from tribal holdings which are industries like gambling, oil, coal, timber, fishing, agriculture, tourism-- you need realize every nation is different & has different enrollment rules.

Typically the enrolled parent would do the paperwork required to enroll their child--if child was eligible for enrollment. Some recognize only children born of legal marriage & living on that reservation for example...or enrolled within so many days of birth or limited to a certain percentage of Indian blood or limited to offspring of members enrolled at a certain date. You need talk to enrollment personnel at that specific tribal office to find out what their criteria for enrollment is. The Cherokee have three different nations with different criteria.

The health care benefit provided Native Americans by treaty may be something she is be eligible for even though she is not an enrolled member of a tribe. Those are questions you could ask at Bureau of Indian Afffairs -- about how to obtain a CDIB card. Here is information to get you started.

https://www.bia.gov/bia/ois/tgs/genealogy

Old 10-16-2018, 02:00 PM

1 posts, read 521 times
I have done the Ancestry DNA and came up 59% Native American. How do I find the tribe?

Old 10-16-2018, 03:08 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,302,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annav6181 View Post
I have done the Ancestry DNA and came up 59% Native American. How do I find the tribe?
You have to do paper trail research. If you have 59% Native American DNA that means a parent was a full Native or both were very high percentages. If you know your parents and/or your grandparents it should lead you to a tribe somewhere recently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy