U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 08:24 AM

269 posts, read 425,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warmfluffy View Post
I just found out that my great great grandmother was full blooded Native American so that would make me pbe sixteenth. What do I do to see what benefits that I qualify for and how I may be able to help others from her people,
Most Indian peoples are wary of "just found out people" who want to help....but wink wink want benefits too.

You can help a tribe for nothing, having zero benefits. However benefits is they key here since it came before helping. Most tribes you need to be at least 1/2 to 1/4 TRIBAL blood (not racial) to be an enrolled member tracing descent to a registered tribal member. Some tribes do not require a particular blood degree (you need a designated blood degree) but proof to certain Indian rolls. For example, The Cherokee Nation or Creek Nation have no criteria on blood degree but you need to trace lineage to certain rolls.

You need to contact the BIA and fill out an application for CDIB card. Once that is established, contact the tribe and see what their criteria is for enrollment.
http://www.bia.gov/cs/groups/public/...idc-001805.pdf

Once you can't enroll, we'll see if you will still want to help, that is your great grandmothers people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2015, 06:39 AM

206 posts, read 155,179 times
No. I'm 1/16th but my family lived 2 miles into Arkansas when 1908 Dawe's Rolls were taken. If your family is not listed, you are not recognized as aboriginal line. Only Oklahoma residents qualified to be listed.

Old 11-22-2015, 08:55 AM

1,340 posts, read 1,935,324 times
My great grandmother was on the 1924 Baker Roll of the Eastern Cherokee. My father was very interested in it, however I am not. I have been told I have a Cherokee nose, whatever that means but I feel white, I look white. I identify with my British ancestry much more, and I somewhat feel it would be unfair to use Cherokee ancestry for my benefit. Therefore, i don't

Old 11-26-2015, 12:05 PM

1 posts, read 6,847 times
what are the was to confirm that you are a percentage of native american? my grandmother's father was full native american, she was born on the Oktaha Indian reservation, Muskogee county, OK, in 1942 so would that make me 1/8th?... also, im not sure exactly what tribe it would be... would anyone know about this? thanks.

Old 11-29-2015, 11:56 AM

269 posts, read 425,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijustdid23 View Post
what are the was to confirm that you are a percentage of native american? my grandmother's father was full native american, she was born on the Oktaha Indian reservation, Muskogee county, OK, in 1942 so would that make me 1/8th?... also, im not sure exactly what tribe it would be... would anyone know about this? thanks.
In Oklahoma for example...The Dawes had to do with land allotment when land was being parceled out to tribes (tribal members). The key here is tribal blood not how much Native American a person was or claimed to have been. If you could not provide tribal affiliation you were rejected. The Dawes for instance, verified (by means of other rolls) if you were legitimately of that tribe (Cherokee, Choctaw, etc). Blood Quanta is calculated from your ancestor(s) listed "blood degree" on the federal rolls. Depending how many "registered" ancestors "by blood" you would be calculated from their BQ listing and walla.

Another thing to bear in mind, in the mid-1800's the Oklahoma land rush started. White's started soaking up land which many Indian lost to this. There were lots of Whites out in Oklahoma. No fullblood Native American is walking around not knowing their tribe unless they were disconnected from their family, which was very rare. There were around 40+ tribes residing in Indian territory before the Trail of Tears happened.

Oktaha is a town (In Muskogee), not a reservation. You don't know the tribe, I would not try to figure out what fraction of American Indian you could possibly be unless you came across sound documentation. Your noted comments is suspect to an Indian Blood Myth all to familiar in Indian country which is echoed far and wide. Unless someone is adopted, this is hardly ever the case and are exceptions rather then a rule.

Old 11-29-2015, 12:09 PM

393 posts, read 238,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
It's weird how often this topic comes up on this forum.
I know
Part of me thinks that is the real reason everyone has such an interest in DNA testing now

Old 02-14-2016, 03:40 PM

3 posts, read 20,043 times
I am adopted. Opened up the adoption records 5 years ago. Trying to enroll through my grandmother's tribe ( makes me 1/8th of her tribe). Although my heritage is at least 1/2 N.A. ( my mother also was N.A.) I'm having an incredibly hard time with enrollment. Have submitted all documentation of lineage back in 2014 but didn't sign on a couple of lines on the enrollment form. All was sent back without explanation on what I should do. In 2015, I tried again meeting with Enrollment commitee. Got the answers for the unfilled portion and now am waiting for an answer. This puzzles me because the committee said they remembered my application, acknowledged that I am a granddaughter of my grandmother but as of this time (4 months later) there is no answer. I even have a COUSIN who handled my previous paperwork ! I know this goes to the B.I.A. after they do research at tribal level. Called the BIA after 2 months and they said my paperwork hasn't been received yet. What course of action should be taken ? Meet with the tribal committee? Call enrollment? The last thing they said was we'll call you. I feel my application is sitting somewhere and they're hoping I ''ll
dissappear .

Old 02-14-2016, 03:43 PM

Default Need some kind of help

Explained my situation. HELP !

Old 02-14-2016, 05:21 PM

Default Need some kind of help

Explained my situation. HELP !

Old 02-20-2016, 11:24 AM

350 posts, read 196,681 times
Yes I am.

Three of My Grandparents have Native American Ancestry: Maternal Grandmother has Cherokee Paternal Grandmother has Chippewa-Cree and Paternal Grandfather has Blackfoot. Maternal Grandmother 1/4 while Paternal Grandmother 1/2.

I Don't get any benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or