Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2016, 05:20 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,320,318 times

Advertisements

A couple of points. I spent all of the '90s working for a Native association in Alaska, so some of what I learned may be out-dated. First of all, there is one reservation in Alaska in the Panhandle, Annette Island which is home to the Metlakatla Tsimshian Tribe, but the whole state is considered Indian Country, which meant we served anyone from any tribe as long as they had a tribal affiliation of a blood quantum card. Someone made a comment about all the blue eyed blonds claiming Native heritage. You can find quite a few of them in Alaska - Scandinavians mixed with Tlingit or Haida. I knew some of them personally. Another odd thing about some of the tribes in Alaska is that they used to be able to adopt anyone they wanted into the tribe, which gave them a tribal membership card. I knew some purely white people who had tribal membership cards. It got them preferences, but no benefits.
Then there are the full blooded NAs who live on reservations and still get nothing, because those tribes are not Federally recognized. The ones I knew about were in California.
I am 1/8 Chiricahua Apache, but as one of my uncles told me, at the time and place where they grew up (Oklahoma), it was socially more acceptable to be 'white' so they passed. His father, my grandfather, was Irish, so if anyone questioned their looks it was always "We're Black Irish." I never wanted any kind of benefits, but I would like to be acknowledged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2016, 05:36 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,469,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
There's a cave in southern France where you leave your handprint.
Lol

Old 06-03-2016, 07:19 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,302,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Haha, just saw this thread, and it relates to this other thread I started a few weeks ago:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/colle...-says-you.html

It's just really sad that some people are only interested in having Native American ancestry in order to get "free stuff."
Agreed.

I'm all for learning and embracing our ancestral cultures, even the small (percentage wise) ones. Though so many people only become interested when they hear a rumor they can get free stuff.

Old 06-13-2016, 07:33 AM

1 posts, read 2,468 times
So what percentage native American to you have to be to get benefits,check?

Old 06-13-2016, 08:43 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,524,829 times
There are no benefits checks. Some nations have per capita payments which they distribute to enrolled members & some do not...each nation has its own enrollment criteria.

As a separate issue, the BIA (Bureau of Indian Affairs) provides health care to all Native Americans recognized as such by the BIA. This benefit is provided as result of a treaty. You will need meet BIA criteria to receive health care and you may need travel to where it is offered.

Old 06-17-2016, 11:42 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,083,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scgirl71 View Post
So what percentage native American to you have to be to get benefits,check?
Good grief. Read the thread.

Old 07-15-2016, 08:18 PM

1 posts, read 2,332 times
My son, we just took guardianship of him(at his choice) and he has an indian card. He does not know any of his past. Mom, passed, dad, jail. Any way, how do I find out what kind of benefits he would receive from this? Can anyone help me out? Thank you in advance!!

Old 08-04-2016, 08:10 PM

1 posts, read 2,257 times
I have a Cherokee Indian heritage. Not certain of the percentage. Trying to research that now. My grandmother told me my great grandmother (on my grandfathers side) was an Indian Squaw, but... thats all I know. Everyone has passed. Very sad because.... I have such a yearning to make a connect. My grandmother said she saw a picture of my great grandmother with a full head piece on. We all have dark hair, eyes and olive skin. In the Summer we are frequently thought to be of hispanic origin, but.... other natives recognize the heritage. Any suggestions on where I might start to narrow down my heritage? I honestly dont even know where to start, but.... would really like to learn of my ancestors. Thank you n advance for any suggestions to aid in my journey.

Old 08-04-2016, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlt001 View Post
I have a Cherokee Indian heritage. Not certain of the percentage. Trying to research that now. My grandmother told me my great grandmother (on my grandfathers side) was an Indian Squaw, but... thats all I know. Everyone has passed. Very sad because.... I have such a yearning to make a connect. My grandmother said she saw a picture of my great grandmother with a full head piece on. We all have dark hair, eyes and olive skin. In the Summer we are frequently thought to be of hispanic origin, but.... other natives recognize the heritage. Any suggestions on where I might start to narrow down my heritage? I honestly dont even know where to start, but.... would really like to learn of my ancestors. Thank you n advance for any suggestions to aid in my journey.

Start by the paper research of genealogy. You will need find your grandparents and trace their ancestors back and find their names (or greatgrandparents depending on their ages if too young for 1940) in the federal censuses.

1940 is the most recent available..then back to 1930, 1920, 1910, 1900...1890 was destroyed..1880, 1870, 1860, 1850 this is first one with all family members named. There are Indian censuses that were taken at the reservations and also many state & territorial censuses.

You will need names and locations to start. If you want help from people at this forum, post anything you know (of deceased ancestors)...names/maiden names of women, locations, children, spouses, parents, dates--birth, death, marriage, religion, race, occupation, military.

Old 08-04-2016, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suz7488 View Post
My son, we just took guardianship of him(at his choice) and he has an indian card. He does not know any of his past. Mom, passed, dad, jail. Any way, how do I find out what kind of benefits he would receive from this? Can anyone help me out? Thank you in advance!!
Which "Indian card"? Is this a BIA card-- the CDIB card?

Contact the issuer of the card and ask for information. They should be a file to access. It should have his tribal affiliation and ancestors listed. Then you can check to see if he is an enrolled member with that nation.

Each nation is completely different with regard to benefits and enrollment requirements. Some also require residence on the reservation to be a recipient of any benefits.

In some western states if he is a member of a nation within that state, he may be eligible for free college tuition and other educational assistance in college.

The BIA benefits are free health care from Indian Health Services facilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy