Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 07:52 AM

993 posts, read 2,290,686 times

Advertisements

Well, to me it looks like "Aslam" but that doesn't make any sense to me. I've never heard of that name, unless it's some sort of family name. The handwriting is pretty good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 05:34 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Default I vote for Aslam. too.

It's Arabic. See here:

Answers.com - Meaning of aslam

Old 01-27-2011, 05:41 PM

Well. that makes sense, since the family had Syrian origins! Thanks suzy!

Old 01-27-2011, 08:28 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabe09 View Post
Well. that makes sense, since the family had Syrian origins! Thanks suzy!

You're welcome!

Good hunting,

Suzy Q

Old 01-28-2012, 04:01 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
Default Ancestory.com --- FREE Library version?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
Many libraries allow you to access Ancestry for free from one of their computers.

I'm new to the geneology forum, but, have recently used the Ancestory.com free site at the local library. Frankly, I've not been that impressed. It seems that one must already have a great deal of information ... to find other information(?)

Based on the glowing reviews of Ancestory.com, I'm wondering if the Library version is abbreviated or otherwise limited.

Old 01-28-2012, 08:58 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,394,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
I'm new to the geneology forum, but, have recently used the Ancestory.com free site at the local library. Frankly, I've not been that impressed. It seems that one must already have a great deal of information ... to find other information(?)

Based on the glowing reviews of Ancestory.com, I'm wondering if the Library version is abbreviated or otherwise limited.

I noticed the same thing---seems you have to give them information to get information. Ancestry doesn't tell you much you don't already know.

Old 01-29-2012, 02:57 AM

10,208 posts, read 17,862,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
I noticed the same thing---seems you have to give them information to get information. Ancestry doesn't tell you much you don't already know.
Speak for yourself, it's been invaluable to me.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:33 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,139,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post

No, I don't believe there are any limitations to the Library version of ANCESTRY.

Genealogy isn't easy. You have to know something about the records you're looking at. And you need a starting point that includes an approximate name, place, and date ... otherwise, how do you know where to even start looking? And remember, more recent records are not available due to privacy laws. So you're better off if who you're looking for has a starting date prior to 1930.

Are you going to be able to go there and type in your name and have it spit out your ancestry? Of course not. Those of us who do genealogy, do it because we like the hunt. And believe me, Ancestry makes the hunt 1000 times easier than it used to be. But it doesn't eliminate the hunting part.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:15 AM

Those Ancestry commercials that say "You don't have to know what you're looking for, you just have to start looking" give people the wrong impression. You DO have to have an idea what you're looking for. I really don't like that commercial for that reason.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:03 AM

10,208 posts, read 17,862,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
No, I don't believe there are any limitations to the Library version of ANCESTRY.
Well, there are two different types of Ancestry.com subscriptions - one is just a US based subscription, so you only have access to US collections. The other is a world subscription so which gives you access to their entire database. So theoretically, if the library only pays for the cheaper, US collections subscription, it would indeed be limited. I don't know if that's the case or not though, it might depend on the library.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy