U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2016, 10:13 AM

451 posts, read 1,071,801 times

Advertisements

Just about all DNA tests (FamilyTree DNA, AncestryDNA, 23andMe, etc.) I have taken as shown me to people 100% East Asian, which is no surprise. I am of Taiwanese background (Taiwanese-American) with ancestry from 8-9 generations ago from Fujian Province, China (southeastern China) who moved to Taiwan. Hence, I am predominately Southern Han Chinese in ancestry. But, I have transferred data to places like DNA.Land, WeGene and Gedmatch to see further breakdown. That was what I was interested in. The Han people in China are not "pure." They are though mostly 100% East Asian, but mix of various groups. For example, my Southern Han ancestry is really a mix of Central Plains Han (Sino-Tibetan people) who moved south and intermarried with non-Han aborigines of Southern China such as Daic People, She People, Miao/Hmong people. When I transferred my 23andMe and AncestryDNA raw data to WeGene, it confirmed that I am a mix of Southern Han, Northern Han, Miao people, Daic People and even some Taiwanese Austronesian. Yes, these people are all East Asian. So, from a continental standpoint my ancestry is virtually all from East and Southeast Asia. But, a mix of different people groups within this region.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2016, 04:42 PM

5,145 posts, read 4,645,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
All credible evidence indicates that Homo Sapiens Sapiens originated in East Africa and that all populations of AMH(anatomically modern humans) diverged from a single population with origins in East Africa. There are a few nationalistic whack jobs that have attempted to spin alternative theories but those theories don't hold up.
With power comes responsibility and given the nasty history of eugenics some of those whacks might not be so whacky in being leary of science that are done by flawed and imperfect human beings.

Quote:
The Human Genome Project has associated many mutant genes with physical ailments and the genetic basis of certain behavioral characteristics is being seriously discussed. In the 1920s and 1930s, advocates for eugenics claimed that genes influenced human behavior, but with no valid evidence. In Germany the Nazis adopted their ideas to justify violent anti-semitism. In this new, expanded edition of the English translation of his compelling book T f6;dliche Wissenschaft, the distinguished German geneticist Benno M fc;ller-Hill documents the long-suppressed collusion of eugenics and racist politics which resulted in the mass murder of millions. In a new Afterword, he warns against the misuse today of newly emerging knowledge about human heredity. In an accompanying essay, Nobel Laureate James D. Watson, an architect of this new era of genetics, vividly describes a recent visit to Berlin and his impressions of the legacy of eugenics in German science.
Murderous Science 1st Edition by Benno Muller-Hill

Quote:
In the wake of the sequencing of the human genome in the early 2000s, genome pioneers and social scientists alike called for an end to the use of race as a variable in genetic research (1, 2). Unfortunately, by some measures, the use of race as a biological category has increased in the postgenomic age (3). Although inconsistent definition and use has been a chief problem with the race concept, it has historically been used as a taxonomic categorization based on common hereditary traits (such as skin color) to elucidate the relationship between our ancestry and our genes. We believe the use of biological concepts of race in human genetic research—so disputed and so mired in confusion—is problematic at best and harmful at worst. It is time for biologists to find a better way.
Science Mag: Taking race out of human genetics

I also suggest reading the Zionist critic Franz Boaz: Anthropologists as Spies.

Old 10-06-2016, 02:32 PM

2,220 posts, read 914,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
There probably are very few, if any, people in the Americas whose ancestors come from just one continent.
??

Most white Americans are purely European...much to their dismay.

...and a lot of black people come close.

Old 10-06-2016, 06:36 PM

875 posts, read 829,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
??

Most white Americans are purely European...much to their dismay.
Very true.

Quote:
...and a lot of black people come close.
It probably depends on how you define close... Black people in the US are somewhere between 17-26% European in DNA. Not what I'd call close, then of course I guess it depends on what you mean by "a lot" too.

Old 10-06-2016, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Europe has more genetic diversity than Africa, and East Asia.
False. Africa is the most genetically diverse place in the world. This is consistent with all the other evidence that suggests mankind originated there:

"Study Finds Africans More Genetically Diverse Than Other Populations"
Study Finds Africans More Genetically Diverse Than Other Populations

"Genetic diversity of Sub-Saharan Africa revealed"
Genetic diversity of Sub-Saharan Africa revealed - BBC News

Quote:
Little has been known about Africa, the most genetically diverse region in the world.

"AFRICAN GENETIC DIVERSITY: Implications for Human Demographic History, Modern Human Origins, and Complex Disease Mapping"
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2953791/

Quote:
African populations are characterized by greater levels of genetic diversity... compared to non-African populations.
etc. Plenty of data out there.

Phenotype diversity is not the same thing as genetic diversity.

Old 10-06-2016, 06:56 PM

2,220 posts, read 914,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alandros View Post
It probably depends on how you define close... Black people in the US are somewhere between 17-26% European in DNA. Not what I'd call close, then of course I guess it depends on what you mean by "a lot" too.
A large percentage of American blacks and West-Indians are well over 90% African.

Old 10-06-2016, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
A large percentage of American blacks and West-Indians are well over 90% African.
Please cite your source. All studies I've seen have shown the average European DNA for African Americans are again between 17% (the most recent study that is probably the most accurate) to 26% (an older 23andme study, this data used in the newer study but probably biased towards African Americans with more European DNA).

Here's the newest study:

PLOS Genetics: The Great Migration and African-American Genomic Diversity

Quote:
An estimated 82.1% of ancestors to African-Americans lived in Africa prior to the advent of transatlantic travel, 16.7% in Europe, and 1.2% in the Americas, with increased African ancestry in the southern United States compared to the North and West. Combining demographic models of ancestry and those of relatedness suggests that admixture occurred predominantly in the South prior to the Civil War and that ancestry-biased migration is responsible for regional differences in ancestry.
That's obviously the the average, meaning there are plenty of people above and below that 16.7% of European DNA. The study slices the data lot of ways but I'm not sure they show anything to reveal the amount of African Americans with "well over" 90% African DNA... They also don't include the median ancestry breakdown. With that said depending on what you define as "a large percentage" I think you are likely wrong... again depending on how you define "a large percentage."

Old 10-06-2016, 08:28 PM

1,869 posts, read 919,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoDaemon View Post
Like a person who is 100% white or 100% black?
Yes, definitely.
I am sure that I am 100% white, and so is the majority of Europeans.
This to me is kind of a strange question.

Old 10-07-2016, 12:51 AM

2,645 posts, read 4,031,245 times
Saying "pure" has racial connotations but it is very common on dna tests for people to be 100% European and even 100%British Isles. Most people appear to want to have some "exotic" ancestry and are often disappointed when they don't. It is very common for Americans to be very disappointed if they don't have some Native American ancestry showing up in their dna tests.

Old 10-11-2016, 04:41 AM

1,476 posts, read 790,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I think you will also find that in the earliest era when whites were being brought to the American colonies as indentured persons they were mixed in with imported black chattel slaves. There were voluntary sexual relations and consensual unions between the whites and blacks in servitude.

These soon resulted in a series of laws that forbade such relationships. And with the increase in the number of black chattel slaves indentured whites were phased out of the picture.

I believe that Edmund S. Morgan's book American Slavery, American Freedom: The Ordeal of Colonial Virginia has some material on this.

Mulattoes were more expensive, they could work in house tasks, etc. (house n-word). That is why most AA have probably more Anglo Saxon blood than recent immigrants.

The history of North America is not so short, during the 17th and 18th century, blacks and Indians were accepted couple as most white female died....more so in the outback, that was all the continent.

People lived in encampments, away from bible thumpers and "christian families" that were the ones that messed the continent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or