Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 07:20 PM

3,486 posts, read 6,507,283 times

Advertisements

Geez, folks, most of you (with certain exceptions, Fullback 32 ) have generated a whole bunch of heat and a ton of smoke, but very little light. You can be as smug and self-satisfied as you want, but once you boil it all down, THERE ARE NO SIMPLE, ONE-SIZE-FITS-ALL ANSWERS!!!!

There are light-skinned 100% FBI's (Full-Blood Indians), and there are dark-skinned "dang-near-white" folks. And among those of a duskier complexion, there are a lot of non-American-Indian reasons that could explain it. Something else y'all need to figure into the equation is that a large portion of those we presently call "Mexicans" have a significant quantum of American Indian blood. Also, the family surname has virtually nothing to do with blood quantum. Western European males often married American Indian females, so the European surname got passed along. Significantly fewer American Indian males married European females. There's another factor too -- most American Indian nations were matrilineal rather than patrilineal. Confused? A good dictionary will straighten you out.

While there are many people in America who can document their American Indian blood quantum, there are just as many - probably a lot more - who simply cannot. Why? Because in most parts of the good ol' US of A, being part Indian wasn't something that you bragged about. Many people having American Indian blood either listed themselves as "White" or conveniently left that space blank.

So, and with all respect due to each of you, gimme a break!

-- Nighteyes (1/2 Mississippi Choctaw, 1/4 German, 1/4 Scots-Irish, and danged proud of ALL of it...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 08:09 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,361,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
Geez, folks, most of you (with certain exceptions, Fullback 32 ) have generated a whole bunch of heat and a ton of smoke, but very little light. You can be as smug and self-satisfied as you want, but once you boil it all down, THERE ARE NO SIMPLE, ONE-SIZE-FITS-ALL ANSWERS!!!!

There are light-skinned 100% FBI's (Full-Blood Indians), and there are dark-skinned "dang-near-white" folks. And among those of a duskier complexion, there are a lot of non-American-Indian reasons that could explain it. Something else y'all need to figure into the equation is that a large portion of those we presently call "Mexicans" have a significant quantum of American Indian blood. Also, the family surname has virtually nothing to do with blood quantum. Western European males often married American Indian females, so the European surname got passed along. Significantly fewer American Indian males married European females. There's another factor too -- most American Indian nations were matrilineal rather than patrilineal. Confused? A good dictionary will straighten you out.

While there are many people in America who can document their American Indian blood quantum, there are just as many - probably a lot more - who simply cannot. Why? Because in most parts of the good ol' US of A, being part Indian wasn't something that you bragged about. Many people having American Indian blood either listed themselves as "White" or conveniently left that space blank.

-- Nighteyes (1/2 Mississippi Choctaw, 1/4 German, 1/4 Scots-Irish, and danged proud of ALL of it...)
Well said and thanks - tried to rep yah but have to spread it around.

Old 02-19-2011, 02:28 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
It's hard to confirm because the easiest way is census records, and for obvious reasons Indians would want to avoid census workers!

A lot of times heresay is all you have.

Old 02-22-2011, 05:46 AM

13 posts, read 76,191 times
I wouldn't keep thinking about rather she was white or native, or both. If she showed any significant native ancestry, you wouldn't be wondering about it.

Just consider her white.

Old 02-26-2011, 06:26 PM

166 posts, read 442,803 times
That is a pretty ignorant, thinking you have to be 50% to be called an Native American, go to Pow Wow's and tell the many mixed blood dancers that they can't be there because they are not the right blood quantum. Take it to the rez too, a lot of enrolled 1/4 bloods that have as much right to be called NA as their parents, grandparents etc.

Old 02-26-2011, 07:39 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,953,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
growing up I remember lots of blond haired blue eyed white kids claiming to be part Indian

Heinz 57 Indians do not count

I feel a person should be at least 1/2 native american to claim American Indian / native american, etc

a Mexican has more native blood than your typical white guy that claims he's native american

some people from Mexico look identical to full blood native americans
That's all fine and good, but I would remind everyone that it is the sovereign right of the individual NDN Nations to determine who and who is not a member of their respective Nation. They set the requirements and make the determination.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:49 AM

1 posts, read 1,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
I think far more people claim Indian blood than actually have it. Seems like everybody you talk to from south of the Ohio claims Cherokee blood. Given the intense hatred southern Americans had for Indians I find that unlikely. But a few generatons later after the Indians have long been removed to Kansas and Oklahoma the notion of having Indian ancestors sounds kind'a romantic.
I actually fing that comment very offensive considering I'm from the south, oklahoma actually, and even before I was born southerners had a lot of respect for native americans and most southerners do have some type of native american in them....hints all the reservations in the south and why everyone says their native american :b

Old 03-11-2012, 12:58 AM

620 posts, read 1,299,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjafruity View Post
I actually fing that comment very offensive considering I'm from the south, oklahoma actually, and even before I was born southerners had a lot of respect for native americans and most southerners do have some type of native american in them....hints all the reservations in the south and why everyone says their native american :b
Wow... uhm. I imagine that the other poster is referring to the multiple ethnic cleansing campaigns that took part across the south. I think we should separate "southerners" as we may be talking about those who happen to live in the South versus those who were part of that whole southern rebellion pro-slavery and pro-land ownership sentiment. The reason why there are reservations is because settlers moved in and forced the Natives out and they wanted to eliminate the Native presence from that area.

And, the reason why there are so many people claiming to be Native is due to the fact that for the last 4 to 5 decades, public sentiment has evolved from emphasizing White superiority to embracing a multi-ethnic American identity. For those who believe that "Whiteness" holds no special heritage, they latch onto being Indian so that they can claim something unique. Most times when I meet someone like that, they are wearing a t-shirt with howling wolves, our turquoise earrings, or dropping random "Osiyos" and "Mitake Oyasins" into their vernacular with the hope that someone will leap at it and ask, "are you part Indian?".

Old 03-11-2012, 01:18 AM

620 posts, read 1,299,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxopr0ud View Post
My ggg-grandmother Mary stumped me for the longest time. She died when my grandmother was 13. She told my grandmother that her maiden name was Lealiwall (the spelling is a guess) and that she was partially Native American. I spent almost a year trying to track the name down (and figuring out to spell it) until I found an obituary for a man who turned out to be her step-brother, and learned that her maiden name was actually Sturgis.

Her parents have standard European names (William Sturgis and Mary Stevens). I can't imagine why she would give my grandmother a false surname. Can anyone offer some direction? My family all assumes we're "part" Native American because of her, but none of the information Mary gave adds up.

Honestly, does she even look Native American? She's the older woman in the middle.
I think there are many possible scenarios to pursue.

First, your ggg-grandmother may have been married multiple times. Perhaps the Lealiwall name is from one of her previous marriages before marrying your ggg-grandfather.

Second, it could be that Lealiwall is her maiden name and her mother may have re-married once or twice thus acquiring multiple surnames, as well.

Third, when I read Lealiwall, I see a potential Welsh or Cornish connection. That's just a guess and I have spent some time trying to identify a potential surname match but since I don't speak Welsh, that would be hard. But you may want to see if that could be the origin (perhaps something like Llewellyn) as Stevens and Sturgis are very much English names, so it wouldn't be outside the realm of possibility that she acquired a family name as her middle name.

Fifth, maybe you traced back to the wrong Mary Stevens and William Sturgis? I just did a quick search on ancestry.com and I found many William Sturgis and Mary Sturgis in the 1930 census. Stevens is a pretty common English surname so it may be two pairs of individuals with similar names.

Old 03-17-2012, 11:22 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post

I found that sentence (bolded) a little odd. I always thought that the people we call Mexicans had mostly American Indian blood, no? In general, it's pretty evident just by looking at them. They really don't favor their European ancestors, in general, of course, yes, yes, there are exceptions and ten people can post pictures of blond, blue-eyed Mexicans I'm sure. I'm just saying I really don't think that the strong American Indian heritage of Mexicans is something anyone really needs to "figure out"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy