Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2012, 03:37 AM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times

Advertisements

Check out this site for more about nicknames.

http://www.genealogytoday.com/genealogy/enoch/nicknames.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Okay. If someone's name is "Nellie" on census reports, but I can't find any record of her birth, death, or marriage, what other names might Nellie be a nickname for?

I tried Ellen, Eleanor, Helen, Nell, all to no avail. Any other ideas?

I found all her siblings' births, and most of their marriages and deaths (mostly on Familysearch, but some on Ancestry). But can't find hers--it's like Nellie hatched from a pod in 1871, and her 14 siblings were born the normal way, with the birth recorded.

I even found her mentioned in her grandmother's death notice in 1917, and they called her "Nellie" then too. Watch, her given name was probably "Mary" or something that would totally make no sense!
Thought the site linked above might help.

Old 03-11-2012, 10:05 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,344,148 times
FYI: Delia is interchanged for Bridget, if you are researching Irish family history.
"Younger" is used as "Junior"

Old 03-12-2012, 03:34 AM

I'd never heard that about Delia. Okay, thanks for sharing.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:47 AM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
I'd never heard that about Delia. Okay, thanks for sharing.
Delia can be short for Bedelia, one of many Irish forms of Bridget (there's also Brigid, Brighid, Brigit, etc). But Delia can also be a full name (not a nickname) or short for various other names.

Behind the Name: Meaning, Origin and History of the Name Delia
Behind the Name: Meaning, Origin and History of the Name Delia

Behind the Name: Meaning, Origin and History of the Name Bedelia

You would think that someone nicknamed Delia would probably be named the Irish Bedelia, not the English Bridget. But you never know.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:00 AM

2 posts, read 4,408 times
I wonder if Nellie was born in a time period/place where she might've been born at home and not recorded? Also, maybe Nellie was her middle name. I have a lot of relatives who went by middle names are are listed as such on many records. Do you know her mother's name? It used to be very traditional to name children after parents and grandparents. It could be she was named after her mother and went by her middle name to avoid confusion (especially if she was the oldest girl - or if she was the third oldest girl, with the first two being named after the grandmothers).

Another nickname note -
"Polly" can be short for Mary Anne in Britain. (My g-g-grandmother, who came from Scotland, was named Mary Anne and went by Polly as a child. It took us forever to find her immigration record!)

Old 03-16-2012, 03:02 AM

993 posts, read 2,290,431 times
According to my book, "Nicknames Past and Present" Nellie is a nickname for Cornelia, Eleanor or Prunella. Hope this helps.

Old 03-17-2012, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcworlds View Post
...Another nickname note -
"Polly" can be short for Mary Anne in Britain. (My g-g-grandmother, who came from Scotland, was named Mary Anne and went by Polly as a child. It took us forever to find her immigration record!)
Molly and Polly are both nicknames for Mary.

Nan is a nickname for Ann.

Old 03-18-2012, 04:03 AM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Molly and Polly are both nicknames for Mary.

Nan is a nickname for Ann.
Nan is short for Nancy which is, as you say, a nickname for Ann/Anna/Anne. I have an Anna in my tree who went by Nancy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy