U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 07:35 PM

1 posts, read 4,053 times

Advertisements

Well I'm a full blood Navajo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 07:16 AM

1 posts, read 4,030 times
Im half blood aswell as some people on here im cheyenne-arapaho and black
My birth mom was fullblood cheyenne-arapaho and my birth father was african american but im adopted now my mother is white and cherokee and my dad is fullblooded lebanese

Old 02-01-2012, 12:06 PM

24,683 posts, read 41,255,423 times
So do ANY of those Hollywood stars have confirmed NA ancestry?

I was privileged to experience Native American culture at the Monument Valley in the Navajo nation in Utah/Arizona. I know it was really touristy, but cool nonetheless.

For the population they seem definitely rarer than Australian Aborigines outside certain states.

Old 02-01-2012, 05:47 PM

3,334 posts, read 4,981,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
So do ANY of those Hollywood stars have confirmed NA ancestry?

I was privileged to experience Native American culture at the Monument Valley in the Navajo nation in Utah/Arizona. I know it was really touristy, but cool nonetheless.

For the population they seem definitely rarer than Australian Aborigines outside certain states.
Some do for sure. Graham Greene, Wes Studi, Rodney Grant, Russell Means, Irene Berdard, Moses Brings Plenty, Adam Beach, Eric Schweig, and others...all no kidding, enrolled NDNs or members of Canadian First Nations.

All those people playing NDNs in the Twilight movies? Only a couple of them are tribal members nor is Rudy Youngblood from Apocalypto. There are a lot of "Indian actors" who are not tribal members and may not be NDN at all.

Old 02-01-2012, 06:46 PM

626 posts, read 1,048,563 times
I know fullbloods who are 7/8ths one tribe and 1/8th another tribe as told them by their parents and grandparents, but on tribal rolls, they are listed as 4/4ths of one tribe. Then, there are tribal nations that have elected to make their entire enrolled population 4/4ths for the purpose of future enrollment; this means that someone who is actually only genetically an eighth Indian is now fullblood Indian. The problem with blood quantum is that it is really an arbitrary system; simply because I may have fullblood grandparents, it does not mean that I will inherit 25% of their genes, but we make the assumption that exposure to the fullblood grandparent would lead to being more connected to your tribal heritage.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:57 PM

24,683 posts, read 41,255,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
Some do for sure. Graham Greene, Wes Studi, Rodney Grant, Russell Means, Irene Berdard, Moses Brings Plenty, Adam Beach, Eric Schweig, and others...all no kidding, enrolled NDNs or members of Canadian First Nations.

All those people playing NDNs in the Twilight movies? Only a couple of them are tribal members nor is Rudy Youngblood from Apocalypto. There are a lot of "Indian actors" who are not tribal members and may not be NDN at all.
Of those I've only heard of Graham Greene.

Old 02-02-2012, 03:55 PM

2,776 posts, read 6,827,043 times
WHO'S WHO NATIVE AMERICAN Indian Professionals Indigenous Peoples Guide Guild Directory Online

I loves me some Wes Studi and Rodney Grant.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:16 PM

7,653 posts, read 14,263,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Many/Most "Mexicans" are predominantly Native American. Only about 10% of the population of Mexico is Spanish.
I've noticed that this percentage seems to vary depending on what part of Mexico you are in, and (especially) according to social class.

For example, the hoi polloi of Merida and Yucatan as a whole have almost a uniformly indigenous appearance: short, dark, paunchy, sometimes with a hint of an epicanthal fold that gives them an Asian look. They are certainly distinguishable from Mexicans of European descent and also from mestizos/indigenous of other regions in Mexico. However, a foreign exchange student in my high school from there was as white as snow, and from her pictures, all her friends appear to be too.

In Tabasco, Veracruz, and even Merida, a third element has to be accounted for, African descent. However, some scenes from Mexico would make you think that you stumbled on a pow-wow.

In other regions, some of the border states as well as a few interior states, the Spanish roots are much more pronounced in people's appearances.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:21 PM

626 posts, read 1,048,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Of those I've only heard of Graham Greene.
Wes Studi was the patriarch/chief of the Avatar clan. He was the father of the heroine. Or, at least it was his voice and likeness used for the character.

And, he's a fullblood Cherokee.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:57 PM

4,733 posts, read 4,118,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Blood View Post
It proves that Native American genes are strong, since you can be genetically 55% European in ancestry and still have a Native American looking phenotype.

But somebody who is genetically 55% Native American in ancestry can never look European in phenotype, because European genes are weak and recessive.

Heck, Eva Longoria is 70% European in ancestry and she still does not look like a White woman. You can still tell she is mixed with some Native American ancestry just by looking at her. That's how weak and recessive European genes are when mixing with other races.
This is the most ignorant post yet. You obviously do not understand genetics and the little terminology that you do is clouded by your racism. The percentage of phenotypic alleles that make up the total genome are in the single digits and so it is very possible for someone with 55% NA 'genes' to look 'white.' Your comments about EU genes being weak is ridonkulous. Furthermore, your concept of what a European is supposed to look like seems way to specific self serving. Your use of the terms weak and recessive seem to be distinct and therefore expose your racism, if not you do not understand what recessive has to do with - it has nothing to do with good or bad, or strong and weak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or