Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 02:54 PM

39 posts, read 147,165 times

Advertisements

Some southwestern tribal nations like the navajo, zuni, apache or pima are good candidates to find lots of individuals who are over 90% Native American genetically. Those folks are true examples of what an amerindian is suppost to look like phenotipically.

The self indentified amerindians from the east coast U.S however are very mixed, some of them even look like your ordinary typical white or black folk, others i've seen in various pow-wow events look strait up bi-racial (half white&black). I know a few lumbees and shinnecocks who considered themselves as native americans. I was baffled when they told me that I couldn't pass for a native american considering that most of my dna is largely native american. Even way more than your average native american person from those eastern tribal nations. LOL, I don't even think they even know what a true amerindian person is suppost to look like.

Last edited by xolotl; 06-07-2014 at 03:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2014, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piscataway20613 View Post
To answer the question. Yes, there are people of 100% native decent. A few distinct genes are the only thing that seperates the supposed races. Thus it is actually possible to have a full blooded indian child even if one parent is another 'race'. It simply means the child did not receive any of that parents regionally specific geneology. though exceedingly unlikely it is indeed possible.

Old 07-11-2014, 01:43 PM

5 posts, read 10,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xolotl View Post
Some southwestern tribal nations like the navajo, zuni, apache or pima are good candidates to find lots of individuals who are over 90% Native American genetically. Those folks are true examples of what an amerindian is suppost to look like phenotipically.
True examples? How about the Lakota and Blackfeet? They look very different from the southwest tribes you named; Zuni, Apache and Navajo and have fullblood members. What about the Inca Indians of Peru? What about the Amazonian Indians? Aren't those fullbloods great representation of NDN variation of Amerindians throughout the Americas?

You have very limited exposure to Native Americans. This is like saying Irish people are "true examples" of what Europeans should look like.

Old 07-13-2014, 06:49 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,083,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
Ive never met a full blooded native american in my entire life, most people that claim to be are usually mixed with whites or hispanic, etc

are there any surviving full blooded natives left or are they all mixed or partial race now?

they seem like they are almost extinct?
Out of sight, out of mind. You're just looking in the wrong places.
I worked on the Navajo reservation for a dozen years and am here to tell you there are plenty. There are nearly 300,000 full blooded Navajos and many more enrolled members who are mixed blood. I am married to an enrolled 4/4 blood quantum member of the Hopi Tribe of Arizona. Hopi enrollment office tells me that roughly 75% of their enrolled members are 4/4 blood quantum. They are a much smaller tribe than the Navajo.
Even the Cherokee, who are usually known as being the most watered down tribe, count a similar number of full blooded members, 282,000 in 2012.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodleyankee View Post
True examples? How about the Lakota and Blackfeet? They look very different from the southwest tribes you named; Zuni, Apache and Navajo and have fullblood members. What about the Inca Indians of Peru? What about the Amazonian Indians? Aren't those fullbloods great representation of NDN variation of Amerindians throughout the Americas?

You have very limited exposure to Native Americans. This is like saying Irish people are "true examples" of what Europeans should look like.
The Lakota and Blackfeet are often mixed with european ancestry thus having their own unique look, their mongoloid side isn't that genetically different from the other amerindid groups I just mentioned and also concerning the fact that they are recent arrivals to the americas unlike south american amerindians who have been in the continent way longer. Peruvian Quechuas and amazonian amerindians are a whole different story, I can tell those groups apart easily.

Old 07-29-2014, 07:22 PM

346 posts, read 351,745 times
Most people are not pure anything these days. I'm sure there's many who are part Native, but 100% Natives are rare. I'm 1/16 First Nations Aboriginal.

Old 10-12-2014, 07:52 PM

9 posts, read 17,921 times
I could be wrong but; suspect that many natives have some European or African DNA not much African vs European , but trace amounts of both , people can only go back so far without a DNA test to know

Old 11-03-2014, 10:13 PM

1 posts, read 5,033 times
I just joined because I wanted to reply to another post that has been closed down. I didn't read all the posts here, but do want to make a comment about being Native American. My grandmother was from San Luis Potosi Mexico. When I was about 10yrs old I asked her what I was. She replied what I thought to be "tu eres puro indio azteca". Which means that I am pure Aztec Indian. Come to find out, that I have Huasteca Indian. And I am not full blood. Maybe spanish in there also. I have 2 older brothers who have more native looking features then me. I have read in this post about whites, hispanics, blacks and so on. I dont like to be refered to as hispanic. I have learned that being Native American and being American Indian are 2 different things. American Indians (to me) is any Nation north of the Mexican border. And Native American (to me) is any Nation in the western hemesphire. So yes, I cosider myself Native American and not American Indian. But as I said earlier, I dont like the term hispanic because that can mean any nationality with a spanish surname (black, white). I know that there are American Indians with spanish surnames. So why cant/wont the american government consider Mexican Indians, Indian? Wish I knew how to post a picture of my grandmother. On the other post that caught my attension was the fact that someone posted that all Indians were black. To me that is just absurd. I guess what I am getting at is, how can I go about getting proof of my Native heritage?

Old 11-04-2014, 04:07 PM

1,660 posts, read 2,532,642 times
If anyone on here follows the 23andme forums it seems that the new hot topic is the idea that Europeans were perhaps the original Native Americans years before the people that are commonly thought of as Natives today. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. European descendants may be the "most" Native American after all!

Old 11-18-2014, 05:42 AM

927 posts, read 968,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
Ive never met a full blooded native american in my entire life, most people that claim to be are usually mixed with whites or hispanic, etc

are there any surviving full blooded natives left or are they all mixed or partial race now?

they seem like they are almost extinct?
I have never either and found myself here after a google search. I think it would be fascinating to meet someone who is fullblooded Native American. I am myself 1/4 Arawak indian, but know nothing of my Indian ancestry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy