Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 09:32 AM

1,948 posts, read 6,460,054 times

Advertisements

Ive never met a full blooded native american in my entire life, most people that claim to be are usually mixed with whites or hispanic, etc

are there any surviving full blooded natives left or are they all mixed or partial race now?

they seem like they are almost extinct?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 09:34 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,301,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
Ive never met a full blooded native american in my entire life, most people that claim to be are usually mixed with whites or hispanic, etc

are there any surviving full blooded natives left or are they all mixed or partial race now?

There aren't many, but then, there aren't many 'pure' anything, anymore.

I am 1/8 Cherokee and proud of it.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:23 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
I suspect the OP's question would have to be researched in tribal records on the Reservations. Even then one is relying upon the honesty of the individual applying for tribal membership as to the percentage of purity.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:27 AM

1,565 posts, read 2,450,122 times
one of my best friends growing up was pure. his adopted parents were mostly white and when they went to tribal meetings very few of the tribe members looked native.
there are so few left...............so sad

Old 02-21-2011, 10:29 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,301,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I suspect the OP's question would have to be researched in tribal records on the Reservations. Even then one is relying upon the honesty of the individual applying for tribal membership as to the percentage of purity.
That is correct. I cannot 'prove' mine, but I know it to be true.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:15 AM

3,331 posts, read 5,953,991 times
It very much depends on the Nation. Western Nations have a much higher number of FBIs (Full-Blooded Indians) than Eastern tribes. My mom is a full-blood; I am a half-blood. My birth father is white. That being said...

Full-blooded is often a relative term in as much that sometimes full-bloods are full-bloods of their own tribe. Sometimes full-bloods may be a mix of different nations. Half-Comanche and half-Kiowa, for instance, is a very common mix among my people. Even then, because records were only kept during the respective tribes reservation and post-reservation periods (in the case of the Oklahoma Nations), it is hard to tell just how full-blooded an individual FBI actually is.

My people (Comanche) were raiders. They raided other tribes, sometimes whites and especially Mexicans. My grandfather used to joke that all good Comanches are part-Mexican as the people liked to raid Mexican villages in Texas, Mexico and New Mexico for horses as they felt that the Mexican horses were better than Anglo horses. It was not unknown for the warriors to take Mexican women as captives during these horse raids and then make these women their wives. Since those days are long gone, it is obvious that the mixing due to raids and adoption is quite diluted. It is possible that I am 1/256th Mexican, but I can't prove it.

In the modern era, there has been more mixing due to a number of reasons. Starting in the late 1940s and through the first part of the 1970s, the US government in an attempt to "terminate" nations had programs such as the adoption of Indian children to white families and the forced relocation of Indian people from the rez's or tribal lands to major US cities.

Additionally, the increased mobility of Indian people these days with young people going off to college, leaving for more opportunities or military service has caused some of this as well. I did 20 years in the US Air Force. Because I was stationed in areas with very few, if any, Indian people let alone just Comanches and since I'm not a big fan of long distance relationships, I dated non-Indians for the most part. During my single years I only dated one other Indian and she was a Lakota girl. She was in the Air Force as well. Both my ex-wife and my current wife are white. It's just the way things happen sometimes.

Last edited by Fullback32; 02-21-2011 at 12:23 PM..

Old 02-21-2011, 01:07 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
Come to New Mexico. There are a lot of people who consider themselves Hispanic who are actually (more-or-less) full blooded indigenous, much less full tribal members.

That said, there is intermarriage, too, but plenty of 'full-blooded', as you put it, Native Americans. Many in Mexico, Canada, the northern Plains states and Alaska, as well. For evidence, visit some public gatherings which take place across the country, the 'Gathering of Nations' Pow-Wow in Albuquerque being the biggest and most diverse.

Another myth is that all Natives back east are really White (or Black) people playing 'Indian' with only some remote ancestor to lend credence to their claim of indigenous status. While there was (is) more intermarriage back east, there are still many, many Natives back there who are instantly identifiable as Native even if they are wearing Carhartts and a baseball cap (or a business suit) sitting in a diner in upstate New York, Maine, Quebec, etc.

While European settlement devastated the Native population, to claim 'extinction' of the various Native genotypes is a much harder claim to make than the extinction of some (very many, actually) of the 'cultures' of pre-Columbian North America.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:22 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,987,381 times
Many/Most "Mexicans" are predominantly Native American. Only about 10% of the population of Mexico is Spanish.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:05 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,999,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post

I have a friend who is full-blood Creek, and I recently took care of a patient in the hospital who was full-blood Cherokee. I also grew up with several full-blood Osage.

I think individuals who live in highly populated NA areas have a better chance of meeting other NA's.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:06 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,999,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I don't know about ALL tribes, but I know for mine you've got to have several generations of documentation. They don't just hand you a CDIB card based on your word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy