U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-25-2011, 11:47 AM
 
Location: Dalton Gardens
2,798 posts, read 5,379,486 times
Reputation: 1575

Advertisements

Here is what I've leanned over the years...most of our families seem pretty dull. I descend from pretty much every Royal and Noble House throughout Europe, including Vikings and the first Russian czars. But that stuff is pretty common and boring to me. And then a few years ago I discovered Genealogy Bank. My family lines became very interesting and full of fascinating characters. Old news articles really add that extra dimension. So, if you think your family is pretty boring and lacking some "ZING!" try looking for them in old news accounts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-25-2011, 11:52 AM
 
Location: Dalton Gardens
2,798 posts, read 5,379,486 times
Reputation: 1575
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
I'm still waiting for that "magic" email
Update....the contact is checking through the old records to see if the file still exists
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2011, 12:54 PM
 
11,449 posts, read 19,512,689 times
Reputation: 18180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
Have you searched old newspapers to see is a robbery happened during the time frame the loot was supposed to have been buried? There might be some truth to it!
I haven't. My mother discounted the whole thing as a boys adventure. A farmhouse version of playing pirates. I don't think they knew when this treasure was buried, they only knew there was supposed to be treasure buried.

It reminded me of the time I read all the Nancy Drew mysteries over the course of a spring and summer... I was DESPERATE for a mystery to solve and everything became something out of the ordinary, just in case....a friend and I even "broke" into a house to figure out why there was stuff stored in a house that wasn't finished.... (Duh, because it wasn't finished and it was the stuff to finish it). I put broke in quotes because construction people often left homes open while under construction back then, so there was no breaking -- just open the door and walk in -- with flashlights of course...more mysterious that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2011, 12:58 PM
 
Location: Dalton Gardens
2,798 posts, read 5,379,486 times
Reputation: 1575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I haven't. My mother discounted the whole thing as a boys adventure. A farmhouse version of playing pirates. I don't think they knew when this treasure was buried, they only knew there was supposed to be treasure buried.

It reminded me of the time I read all the Nancy Drew mysteries over the course of a spring and summer... I was DESPERATE for a mystery to solve and everything became something out of the ordinary, just in case....a friend and I even "broke" into a house to figure out why there was stuff stored in a house that wasn't finished.... (Duh, because it wasn't finished and it was the stuff to finish it). I put broke in quotes because construction people often left homes open while under construction back then, so there was no breaking -- just open the door and walk in -- with flashlights of course...more mysterious that way.
And here starts the tales of the future, when your great-great grandchildren will say..."Did you hear about great-great grandma, the master burglar?" LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2011, 04:48 PM
 
9,214 posts, read 18,125,195 times
Reputation: 21974
Everyone from my great-grandmother down to my Mom liked to claim that we're related to Declaration of Independence signer William Whipple.

I did a lot of research, and though my Whipples were in New England at the same time as William Whipple's family, there is no evidence of our tree touching his.

So I had to break it to my mom that we're not related, but told her it was okay because it turns out he was one of the few slave owners in New England. He finally broke down and freed his favorite slave, who later fought in the Revolution with Washington. Interesting story, sure, but not connected to my family at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2011, 06:25 PM
 
Location: Little Rock AR USA
2,457 posts, read 6,111,058 times
Reputation: 1863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
Any family stories that were passed down and turned out to be true, or almost true? What about family stories which turned out to be completely wrong?

For me...

Native American blood - Yes, totally true (Lenni Lenape)

Great-Great-Grandma Lizzie was just a harmless woman - Totally NOT TRUE! She was a petty criminal, common prostitute, brothel madam and ran a criminal ring which had all of Bridgeton, NJ buzzing for years!

Those are just two of many, LOL!
Here's a book you need to buy and read, and I think others will find it interesting. "Maxine - Call Me Madam". It's kinda pricy on Amazon, but a good read and could be your Lizzie. Maxine was operating in Hot Springs AR in the '40s and '50 when it was a gambling mecca. It's a "tell all" book with names so thinly veiled that by know the town and state it was easy for me to I.D. several of them. I will not take the space to give details, but I learned some interesting stuff that has now been well documented.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2011, 08:46 PM
 
Location: Dalton Gardens
2,798 posts, read 5,379,486 times
Reputation: 1575
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
Here's a book you need to buy and read, and I think others will find it interesting. "Maxine - Call Me Madam". It's kinda pricy on Amazon, but a good read and could be your Lizzie. Maxine was operating in Hot Springs AR in the '40s and '50 when it was a gambling mecca. It's a "tell all" book with names so thinly veiled that by know the town and state it was easy for me to I.D. several of them. I will not take the space to give details, but I learned some interesting stuff that has now been well documented.
Excellent! This is the type of book I like to buy for my research into this topic. I am definately buying this one!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2011, 02:52 PM
 
32,538 posts, read 29,435,399 times
Reputation: 32248
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
Here's a book you need to buy and read, and I think others will find it interesting. "Maxine - Call Me Madam". It's kinda pricy on Amazon, but a good read and could be your Lizzie. Maxine was operating in Hot Springs AR in the '40s and '50 when it was a gambling mecca. It's a "tell all" book with names so thinly veiled that by know the town and state it was easy for me to I.D. several of them. I will not take the space to give details, but I learned some interesting stuff that has now been well documented.
President Clinton lived there then. Is he mentioned?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2011, 03:05 PM
 
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere
14,131 posts, read 26,325,360 times
Reputation: 6816
Back to the original question:

1. Related to Stonewall Jackson - False. Jacksons in background were unrelated to him.
2. Related to Robert E. Lee - False. Lees in background were unrelated to him.
3. Related to Abraham Lincoln because of his Mother's indiscretion with my 5xGreat Grandfather - I think it's false but some on the internet say otherwise.
4. Related to the Earls of Essex - False. Relatives of same name in background were unrelated to them.
5. Descended from Earls of Shaftesbury - False. Relatives of same name in background were unrelated to them.

I despise these phony stories and get really worked up when I see them propogated on various websites. In most cases they seem to be made up by some old woman trying to gain membership in some heriditary society or other. After going through this experience several times I'm of the firm conclusion that most Americans who think they're descended from British nobility probably aren't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2011, 03:11 PM
 
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere
14,131 posts, read 26,325,360 times
Reputation: 6816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
I descend from pretty much every Royal and Noble House throughout Europe, including Vikings and the first Russian czars.
Just curious how you know that for sure. I hope you've researched it yourself with a healthy dose of skepticism bolstered by dna.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top