U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 07:56 PM

2,798 posts, read 5,361,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Well there's more science to it than that. There are basically two kind types of testing available now, y-dna from man back through his paternal line and mtdna from a woman back through her maternal line. It has to do with how dna on our chromosomes is inherited down through the generations. You can read more about it here:

Family Tree DNA - The World's Only Newsletter Dedicated to Genetic Genealogy
Yes, but surname relationship is traced through Y-DNA, not MtDNA, making it impossible for a female to prove surname relationship with her own dna. I've had my MtDNA tested through Family Tree.

Last edited by Cyanna; 03-02-2011 at 07:57 PM.. Reason: addition
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 07:57 PM

948 posts, read 1,202,022 times
I went all through my child hood telling people that my great great grand dad was a Kaiser Wilhelm II. Yes I'm an idiot. Truth be told I come from a long line of idiots True story I had a uncle build an out house and forgot the hole

Old 03-02-2011, 07:57 PM

14,131 posts, read 26,250,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
I am really curious to know, though, why you seem so hostile towards those who genuinely descend from noble or royal lines?
No, I'm only hostile to those who don't genuinely descend from them. Actually I'm less skeptical since your recent family is from the U.K. My hostility is directed at folks like some of my unscrupulous American relatives who make claims based on much less evidence than you apparently have.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewmik View Post
I went all through my child hood telling people that my great great grand dad was a Kaiser Wilhelm II. Yes I'm an idiot. Truth be told I come from a long line of idiots True story I had a uncle build an out house and forgot the hole
Seriously???? LOL!

Old 03-02-2011, 08:03 PM

Quote:
No, I'm only hostile to those who don't genuinely descend from them. Actually I'm less skeptical since your recent family is from the U.K. My hostility is directed at folks like some of my unscrupulous American relatives who make claims based on much less evidence than you apparently have.
Okay, as long as we have that straightened out. Forgive my "hackles" for rising. I was starting to believe that you were attacking me directly. I apologize for the wrong assumption I was a bit defensive, not because I think having royal and noble blood makes me special, but because I spent many, many years proving ALL my lines, even the "common as muck, white trash" ones, LOL!

I do see where you are coming from though, and such deliberate falsehoods also make me angry, like when someone is stupid enough to insist that they are a direct descendant of George Washington

Old 03-02-2011, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Yes, but surname relationship is traced through Y-DNA, not MtDNA, making it impossible for a female to prove surname relationship with her own dna. I've had my MtDNA tested through Family Tree.
I did the y-dna version and was able to link up with a couple of cousins of the same last name with whom I share a common ancestor born 250 years ago. Pretty cool stuff actually. I'm finding out all kinds of interesting stuff, probably more along the lines of whom I'm not related to. It's a great disspeller of myths.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:40 PM

Quote:
I did the y-dna version and was able to link up with a couple of cousins of the same last name with whom I share a common ancestor born 250 years ago. Pretty cool stuff actually. I'm finding out all kinds of interesting stuff, probably more along the lines of whom I'm not related to. It's a great disspeller of myths.
Very true! Especially if you have a more common surname wich is also shared by someone famous. My maiden name is pretty uncommon so I woulod love to get my brother to offer up his dna. I'm working on it, but it would have been easier to do 35 years ago when I could still physically "convince" him, LOL!

Old 03-03-2011, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Very true! Especially if you have a more common surname wich is also shared by someone famous. My maiden name is pretty uncommon so I woulod love to get my brother to offer up his dna. I'm working on it, but it would have been easier to do 35 years ago when I could still physically "convince" him, LOL!
Has he said why he doesn't want to?

Old 03-03-2011, 09:17 AM

6,218 posts, read 6,072,597 times
Quote:
Virtually everybody that descends from western European stock is related to European royalty at some point in their line. There just weren't that many people then.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Has he said why he doesn't want to?
He wants to be sure his dna won't be used for anything funky, like mixed with some animal dna and grown in a lab
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or