U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 03:50 PM

5,812 posts, read 16,229,428 times

Advertisements

This may not mean anything, but, according to the 1900 census, George Deverit (Anderson's son)'s father (meaning Anderson) was born in Missouri. That could be wrong, though. The name is also spelled "Plunkett," though I'm not sure if that's right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 03:59 PM

2,798 posts, read 5,363,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
This may not mean anything, but, according to the 1900 census, George Deverit (Anderson's son)'s father (meaning Anderson) was born in Missouri. That could be wrong, though. The name is also spelled "Plunkett," though I'm not sure if that's right.
The big question is.... who provided the information to the census taker? Alice Ruble, mother of Hannah? She may have just assumed that Anderson PLUNKETT was born in Missouri.

Old 03-14-2011, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
Ah, the joys of illiterate transcribers!

I would use every possible name spelling which comes up, no matter where you search. I have spent hours looking for this Anderson PLUNKETT and so far...NOTHING... other than the marriage record.

I know there was a Luther PLUNKETT in Kentucky (?) and I believe he had a son named Anderson, but I need to double check the research.

What sort of documents do you have, if any, for your Anderson PLUNKETT. Is your only information that which others have posted? We could be looking in the wrong place for his birth. It is also possible that he didn't actually die, but had divorced his wife (or she divorced him), which could explain the children taking their step-father's name.
Thank you for helping me with this. I really appreciate it. This mystery is bugging me, and I would like to be able to tell the family something.

I really don't have anything, other than seeing the marriage stuff and that family tree on family search. It didn't tell me who posted the tree, though. I have the 1900 census, with the widowed Hannah. The family of Anderson's son Deverit knew nothing of it. I've contacted a member of the Plunkett family in the area. They said if they find out anything they'll let me know, but it's a long shot.

It is possible that they were divorced. I don't know that for sure.

I did go to sos.mo.gov and searched for all people with the first name "Anderson" but I didn't find anything. Another census does list the older Anderson as "Andison."

Sometimes my Family Tree Maker will come up with matches, but the only tree that has a match shows Frank Street as George Deverit's father and gives no mention of Anderson Plunket. So It's apparently not right.

Old 03-14-2011, 04:03 PM

Quote:
The big question is.... who provided the information to the census taker? Alice Ruble, mother of Hannah? She may have just assumed that Anderson PLUNKETT was born in Missouri.
Just to correct something, I meant to put that the 1900 census has Plunket with one T, rather than two.

I know censuses can definitely be wrong as well.

The only Plunket(t)'s in Wayne county in the familysearch census records are
#
Anderson Plunket
United States Census, 1900
birth: Jun 1831 — Kentucky
residence: 1900 — Piedmont city, Wayne, Missouri
child: Alberta Young

Hannah Plunket
birth: Jan 1877 — Missouri

Earnest Plunket
United States Census, 190
birth: Oct 1893 — Missouri

#
Devest Plunket
birth: Apr 1899 — Missouri

William Plunket
United States Census, 1910
birth: 1885 — Missouri
residence: 1910 — Williamsville Ward 2, Wayne, Missouri

Earnest is later called Gus and later listed as a step-son (if he is the same person). I don't know who William is. In 1910 he lived with other people instead of his family.

#
Anderson Plunkett
United States Census, 1880
birth: 1832 — Kentucky, United States
residence: 1880 — Benton, Wayne, Missouri
spouse: Margaret Plunkett
child: Lu Byrns

Margaret Plunkett
birth: 1832 — Illinois, United States
spouse: Anderson Plunkett
child: Lu Byrns

Charles Plunkett
United States Census, 1880
birth: 1857 — Missouri, United States

Charles is Anderson's son.

Anderson (the older one) is in Butler county with Alberta in 1910
Anderson Plunkett

United States Census, 1910

birth: 1832 — Kentucky
residence: 1910 — Poplar Bluff Ward 2, Butler, Missouri
child: Alberta Malugen

The older one should have a death certificate on sos.mo.gov, since he died likely shortly after 1910. Again, nothing.

Old 03-14-2011, 04:03 PM

Okay, I am looking at the actual 1900 Census image. I see something odd for Hannah's marriage status. It looks to me as if "D" may have been changed to "Wd." Look closely at it and compare other people on the census who were widowed. Also, if you look at the names further up above the family of Alice RUBLE you'll see an Andrew WALLACE. It looks like a "D" had been written under his marriage status, but changed to an "S."

Old 03-14-2011, 04:16 PM

I possibly found Lee Byrne's grave
Lee Byrne (1861 - 1927) - Find A Grave Memorial

Somewhat helpful anyway.

Death certificate for the same person
http://www.sos.mo.gov/images/archive...7_00038404.PDF

Old 03-14-2011, 04:17 PM

1900 Census Image

Old 03-14-2011, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Okay, I am looking at the actual 1900 Census image. I see something odd for Hannah's marriage status. It looks to me as if "D" may have been changed to "Wd." Look closely at it and compare other people on the census who were widowed. Also, if you look at the names further up above the family of Alice RUBLE you'll see an Andrew WALLACE. It looks like a "D" had been written under his marriage status, but changed to an "S."
I noticed it looked different, but I wasn't sure what that meant.

Why would somebody tamper with it?

Old 03-14-2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
I noticed it looked different, but I wasn't sure what that meant.

Why would somebody tamper with it?
Family embarassment. Divorce was still looked down upon at that time. I believe they divorced. Ancestry doesn't appear to have a death record for Anderson PLUNKETT / PLUNKET.

Old 03-14-2011, 04:29 PM

11,686 posts, read 13,087,938 times
Quote:
I had thought that Hannah's status looked "worked over" too.

But now that you have mentioned it I went back to look again. It appears that her "Wd" is also written in larger script than any other Wd on the page, and the W in Hannah's designation is the only one that begins the letter with a straight line before making the first down stroke. Whatever the reason, it does not seem to match the penmanship in the rest of that column.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy