U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 10:19 PM

5,812 posts, read 16,226,894 times

Advertisements

I'm related to an Anderson Plunkett. He was born 1873 in Wayne county, Missouri. In 1895 he married Hannah Ruble. They had two sons, one of which was George Deverit Plunkett born about 1898. Anderson died in 1899. His wife married Frank Street in 1901 and her kids took his name. They still go by that name.

My mystery is this. I cannot find Anderson Plunkett on any census records. I found the info I have about him from a family tree, but it didn't have much. The 1900 census shows his wife Hannah Ruble Plunkett and her two kids. However, he was already dead.

He should be in the 1880 census, when he was 7. However, I can't find him. I did find an Anderson Plunkett born 1832 in Kentucky. He lived in Wayne county, Missouri. Maybe the younger Anderson's father?

The elder Anderson was born in 1832 or 1833. In 1857 he married Parmelia Finnell in Boone county, Kentucky. In 1860 they lived in Audrain county, Missouri. He had a son named Charles, born 1858.

1870 census of Wayne county, Missouri shows the now widowed Anderson with his son. He is living with a widowed woman named Louisa Byrne. She was born in 1834 in Illinois. She had two children, 17 year old Julie and 9 year old Lu. There's also a young woman (age 7) named Toney Merrie and a man named George Stephenson (age 48). It is not mentioned how they are all related.

The 1880 census we find Anderson in Wayne county, Missouri. His wife's name is Margaret. They have with them 19-year-old Lu Byrnes (Louisa's son?) and a 3-year-old Albert Byrnes (related somehow, not sure).

If the elder Anderson is the younger Anderson's father, where is the younger Anderson? Why would the older Anderson have adopted children but not his own son? Or are they unrelated? That seems unlikely based on the small population of the area and the unusual names. They must be related. Or many nephew and uncle? It makes no sense.

1900 Census we find Anderson living with his widowed daughter 21-year-old daughter Alberta Byrnes Young (born 1879) and her daughter Louise born 1896 in Wayne county, Missouri.

1910 census of Butler county, Missouri finds him with his 32-year-old daughter Alberta Byrnes Young Malugen and her husband H. F. Malugen. They have her daughters Louise Young and Lois Young (age 6). Anderson was 78 at the time. He appears to have died sometime between 1910 and 1920.

Why would the older Anderson adopt children and not have his own son? There are few Plunketts that show up in the census in the Wayne county area. I can't find anything on findagrave or sos.mo.gov. It would make the most sense for Anderson to be Anderson's son, but I would like some confirmation.

Any ideas on where the son (if he is the son) might be? The whole thing makes no sense. Where is Anderson Plunkett (the younger one)?

You guys may not be able to help me. I'm just trying to figure out possible scenarios wherein Anderson would not be with his father, if that is his father. If not, how are they related? It's all a big mess. The older Anderson Plunkett should be on the Missouri death records site, but I can't find it.

It would be easier if they put on the census how the people were related and if the census records and the people themselves knew how the names were spelled and when they were born. It can be difficult trying to piece this together.

Any ideas? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 02:06 AM

6,415 posts, read 10,037,563 times
My first question to you would be ... how do you know that there was a "younger" Anderson Plunkett, born in 1873 if he doesn't exist as such in any record? How do you know that the 1895 marriage record to Hannah Ruble isn't a third (or more) marriage for the "older" Anderson? Divorce is not uncommon, especially if there was a disparity in ages.

If you can't find any record of him, maybe it's because he didn't exist.

Census records can only tell you so much. And they don't give you the information you want, because they weren't created for the purpose of being able to put families together. They were for the government to count the people in the country. They didn't give a hoot how they were related to one another. And they also didn't care about the accuracy.

You need to look at the court records of Wayne County. Is there a divorce? Are there estate papers for Anderson (the elder)? Are there land records? Guardianship records?

The children living in his household doesn't mean they were "adopted." You can't make assumptions about records - it'll lead you down false paths.

Old 03-14-2011, 03:46 AM

11,686 posts, read 13,083,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
I'm related to an Anderson Plunkett. He was born 1873 in Wayne county, Missouri. In 1895 he married Hannah Ruble. They had two sons, one of which was George Deverit Plunkett born about 1898. Anderson died in 1899. His wife married Frank Street in 1901 and her kids took his name. They still go by that name. .....
I am in a rush, but I just checked online family trees on Ancestry.com.

Several people have this fellow (with no father), but all have him born in Texas.....I didn't get a chance to poke around census data, etc., but if he was born in Texas, did he get left behind at some point?

Old 03-14-2011, 06:39 AM

11,686 posts, read 13,083,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
1870 census of Wayne county, Missouri shows the now widowed Anderson with his son. He is living with a widowed woman named Louisa Byrne. She was born in 1834 in Illinois. She had two children, 17 year old Julie and 9 year old Lu. There's also a young woman (age 7) named Toney Merrie and a man named George Stephenson (age 48). It is not mentioned how they are all related.

The 1880 census we find Anderson in Wayne county, Missouri. His wife's name is Margaret. They have with them 19-year-old Lu Byrnes (Louisa's son?) and a 3-year-old Albert Byrnes (related somehow, not sure)....
In the 1870 Census the widow Byrne is M. Louisa, which is likely to mean that she is the Margaret in the 1880 census. Their ages and places of birth correspond.

Toney Merrie, is black and is occupation domestic (everyone else in the household is white), and George Stephenson is a widowed miller, perhaps a boarder.

In 1880 it appears to me that Alberta Byrne should really be Alberta Plunkett. Her mother and father's birth places match those of Anderson Plunkett and Margaret Louisa.

She may have been surnamed Byrne by the enumerator, who was listing her after Lu or Lee Byrne, and forgot to give her her father's surname (or didn't realize.) If Mrs. Plunkett were giving the information, she would have of course described the children as son and daughter, but one would have been her son, but her husband's step-son, while the younger female would have been the natural daughter of the head of household, which is who the relationships were supposed to refer to. To me it looks as if Margaret Louisa answered the questions and confused the enumerator.

None of this, of course, addresses your basic question about the elusive younger Anderson Plunkett. Why don't your query some of the people on Ancestry.com who have the younger one as being from Missouri City, Fort Bend Co., TX and see where they got this idea. None of them that I see have given a source, so several may be copying one. However, one of them may have a family reference to him, i.e. a non public record, as you do. One of these researchers seems to be related to the Ruble family and may be the best source.

Last edited by kevxu; 03-14-2011 at 06:50 AM..

Old 03-14-2011, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
My first question to you would be ... how do you know that there was a "younger" Anderson Plunkett, born in 1873 if he doesn't exist as such in any record? How do you know that the 1895 marriage record to Hannah Ruble isn't a third (or more) marriage for the "older" Anderson? Divorce is not uncommon, especially if there was a disparity in ages.

If you can't find any record of him, maybe it's because he didn't exist.

Census records can only tell you so much. And they don't give you the information you want, because they weren't created for the purpose of being able to put families together. They were for the government to count the people in the country. They didn't give a hoot how they were related to one another. And they also didn't care about the accuracy.

You need to look at the court records of Wayne County. Is there a divorce? Are there estate papers for Anderson (the elder)? Are there land records? Guardianship records?

The children living in his household doesn't mean they were "adopted." You can't make assumptions about records - it'll lead you down false paths.
I got my info from a FamilySearch Family Tree. That's where I got the dates from. The dates fit, though. I know, based on the 1900 census, that Hannah Ruble's dead (it said widowed, though I can't be for sure) husband was named Plunket (with one T, but spellings changed all the time).

I can't really afford an Ancestry subscription. So far I haven't really needed it. I can tell you that there are not many records from Wayne county around that time as far as I know. The courthouse burned at least once. In fact, I think the entire state of Missouri has no 1890 census. The married record of the older Anderson and his first wife was a record from Kentucky. The familysearch site (which I know has errors, but most of the time it's helpful) has no marriage record for Hannah and Anderson or Hannah and Frank. In fact, I'm not sure any marriage I've looked up in Wayne county has a record, but most other areas do have marriage records. The Secretary of State's website also has Missouri death records from before 1910. Again, no Wayne county. Of course, maybe in familysearch's site the records have not been put in there, but I'm really not sure. You can search Ancestry and see what they have (but not the info). Even then I can't find anything.

It's like the whole family has disappeared or never existed. There are still Plunketts in the Wayne county area. However, familysearch doesn't have many in the area during the censuses. Of course, I'm not sure when the family first came into the area. I also cannot find any Wayne county Plunketts on findagrave or sos.mo.gov. The older Anderson's last address was in Butler county. Sos.mo.gov has no death records of them for that county and findagrave has two, neither of which appear to be my family.

I don't know for sure that the younger Anderson was related to the older one, but there appeared to be very few Plunketts in Wayne county around that time, so I would think there would be little likelihood that they were unrelated.

I'll look into the Texas birth. That certainly is possible. However, he probably wouldn't have been left behind in Texas, unless he made his way to Wayne county, Missouri by about 1895 or earlier. That is a possibility.

It's possible that Anderson Plunkett (the younger) did not exist, but the info I have does fit the correct dates. That part makes sense. I thought that maybe some other Plunkett was the father, but most of them don't have dates that match up correctly.

Sometimes people went by their middle names, as did Plunkett's son George Deverit (called Deverit his whole life). So it's a big mess right now. I'm trying to unravel it.

I did contact the descendants of this person. They are close friends of my family (as well as my cousins). They had absolutely no idea that their grandfather's real name was not Street. They thought it was interesting, though. Nobody seems to have any idea. I'm not sure if Hannah purposefully covered up her son's paternity, or if she just didn't tell him. If he did know, he apparently didn't make it public that Frank Street was not his father. Maybe whoever did know didn't see the need to make it public.

The Plunketts around Wayne county might know something. I don't know them personally, though. I'd hate to bother them if I don't. Maybe I can find some email or Facebook way to contact them, so that I don't interrupt them doing something important. My grandfather knows who one of them was, as this man was the sheriff.

EDIT: I found a Plunkett relative on Facebook. She said she would check around and see if anybody knew anything. I know it's a long shot, though.

Last edited by STLCardsBlues1989; 03-14-2011 at 02:17 PM..

Old 03-14-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
In the 1870 Census the widow Byrne is M. Louisa, which is likely to mean that she is the Margaret in the 1880 census. Their ages and places of birth correspond.

Toney Merrie, is black and is occupation domestic (everyone else in the household is white), and George Stephenson is a widowed miller, perhaps a boarder.

In 1880 it appears to me that Alberta Byrne should really be Alberta Plunkett. Her mother and father's birth places match those of Anderson Plunkett and Margaret Louisa.

She may have been surnamed Byrne by the enumerator, who was listing her after Lu or Lee Byrne, and forgot to give her her father's surname (or didn't realize.) If Mrs. Plunkett were giving the information, she would have of course described the children as son and daughter, but one would have been her son, but her husband's step-son, while the younger female would have been the natural daughter of the head of household, which is who the relationships were supposed to refer to. To me it looks as if Margaret Louisa answered the questions and confused the enumerator.
That makes sense. I hadn't thought of that previously. You probably are right about Margaret Louisa and Alberta. I suspected that the other two in the household could have been boarders or something like that. I wasn't sure, though. I hadn't investigated that thoroughly yet.

Old 03-14-2011, 03:24 PM

2,798 posts, read 5,362,724 times
Do you have a copy of Anderson Plunkett's death certificate?

Old 03-14-2011, 03:32 PM

Found this...

Wayne County Missouri Marriages
Marriage Book A Oct 1892- Sep 1898

Plinkett, Anderson
Ruble, Lauren
12 Jun 1895
Book A page 190

Old 03-14-2011, 03:35 PM

That's weird. Plinkett? Lauren? Strange. That's the date the family tree had. Would make it more difficult to find.

I don't have Ancestry for death certificates. The sos.mo.gov has some death and birth records from before 1910 and Wayne county is not available. They could have just missed it, but I wonder if the records still exist. Like I said the courthouse has burned at least once.

Search FamilySearch for Anderson Plinkett, but I still get the same results. Nothing on findagrave, either.

I'm pretty sure it's Plunkett because it would seem strange that he would not be related to Anderson Plunkett (the older one) given that the names are so unusual.

I don't have an ancestry subscription, but I did search and find this as well

Missouri Marriage Records, 1805-2002
Birth, Marriage & Death

Name: Anderson Plunkist
Marriage County: Wayne

Name: Anderson Plunkist
Spouse: Hamon Rublin
Marriage: date - Wayne
Marriage: year

Now it's Plunkist and Hamon Rublin instead of Hannah Ruble. Somebody was a terrible speller or a bad transcriber.

Family Search shows this person
A T Plunket

United States Census, 1900

birth: Jun 1876 — Texas
residence: 1900 — Rush Springs town, Chickasaw Nation, Indian Territory

But it wouldn't make sense based on the 1900 Census.

Last edited by STLCardsBlues1989; 03-14-2011 at 03:47 PM..

Old 03-14-2011, 03:50 PM

Ah, the joys of illiterate transcribers!

I would use every possible name spelling which comes up, no matter where you search. I have spent hours looking for this Anderson PLUNKETT and so far...NOTHING... other than the marriage record.

I know there was a Luther PLUNKETT in Kentucky (?) and I believe he had a son named Anderson, but I need to double check the research.

What sort of documents do you have, if any, for your Anderson PLUNKETT. Is your only information that which others have posted? We could be looking in the wrong place for his birth. It is also possible that he didn't actually die, but had divorced his wife (or she divorced him), which could explain the children taking their step-father's name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy