U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 02:32 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,379,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milleka View Post
I love you.

BTW- You look just like all of my Cherokee relatives.
Probably because we are Cherokee, Scot, and German as well. Funny how genetics and phenotypes play out.

Old 03-24-2011, 03:12 PM

11,544 posts, read 25,086,443 times
Enough already! Genealogy is more than a name and a date of a piece of paper. It is a snapshot in time. It is who we are, where we came from and the color of our hair, eyes and skin. It is ancient history, world history, Geography, Language, Anthropology, Religion, and the Sciences all rolled into one.

Language is the problem. If the OP had posed a question regarding skin tones, who would be offended? Who would try to turn it into a racist remark? Practically no one.

I lived with the Nine Tribes in Oklahoma for many years, and I traveled extensively in the Southwest. I never met a full blood white Indian, but I did meet several people like my neighbor who have mixed European-Indian ancestry and as a reseult have a very pale skin tone.

So what?

Claiming an Indian heritage is a lot easier than proving it - which is exactly what is needed to become a tribal member. It is not nearly as easy as it sounds.

It is all relative after all. Regardless of our DNA mix, we all have a family history or we would not be in this forum talking about it.

Last edited by linicx; 01-28-2012 at 07:30 AM..

Old 03-24-2011, 03:54 PM

3,491 posts, read 5,295,606 times
Quote:
BTW- You look just like all of my Cherokee relatives.
Nah. Its common knowledge that the Choctaw, and our relatives the Chickasaw, are far more handsome...

Old 03-24-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Probably because we are Cherokee, Scot, and German as well. Funny how genetics and phenotypes play out.
I have often said that my Choctaw ancestors must have really liked the Scots, Irish and French (and the occasional German thrown in for good measure). So, don't forget the French influence -- there are many, MANY French surnames among the Choctaw people.

Old 03-24-2011, 04:27 PM

10,024 posts, read 10,140,888 times
I'll tell you something that is very strange. I'm 100% Scottish as far back as we have been able to trace. My Mother's side of the family are the Thains. That entire family is very dark with black hair and very Asiatic eyes. When my uncle goes to a pow wow, full blooded Natives ask him, "What tribe are you from"? I look less Asian than most of them but still I have been asked by different Asians What kind of Asian blood Do you have in you"? We all have those Asiatic eyes without the double fold in the lid. I'm thinking that maybe it's Pictish blood, They really don't know what the Picts looked like so Maybe that's it.

Old 03-24-2011, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
I'll tell you something that is very strange. I'm 100% Scottish as far back as we have been able to trace. My Mother's side of the family are the Thains. That entire family is very dark with black hair and very Asiatic eyes. When my uncle goes to a pow wow, full blooded Natives ask him, "What tribe are you from"? I look less Asian than most of them but still I have been asked by different Asians What kind of Asian blood Do you have in you"? We all have those Asiatic eyes without the double fold in the lid. I'm thinking that maybe it's Pictish blood, They really don't know what the Picts looked like so Maybe that's it.
Well, there ya go.

I know of the so-called "Black Irish". Could there have also been the "Black Scots"? Both were heavily influenced by, er, ah, Pictish factors, ya know...

Old 03-24-2011, 04:49 PM

10,024 posts, read 10,140,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
Well, there ya go.

I know of the so-called "Black Irish". Could there have also been the "Black Scots"? Both were heavily influenced by, er, ah, Pictish factors, ya know...
The black Irish are very Celtic in their looks. They have black hair and a lot of the time, blue eyes. Most of them are fair skinned. Some of the most beautiful women are of this type in my opinion. These "Black Scots" are swarthy skined, black hair and eyes,high cheek bones and I don't know if this means anything but they are extremely musical.

Old 03-24-2011, 04:59 PM

959 posts, read 1,115,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Reminds me of Miranda Cosgrove, she has Asiatic eyes and could pass for being part Asian or part Native American in other words she looks mixed race, but yet the website Nndb.com has her listed as White under race.
Miranda Cosgrove

Old 03-24-2011, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Nah. Its common knowledge that the Choctaw, and our relatives the Chickasaw, are far more handsome...
I beg to differ, my friend. The Cherokee are the hottest tribe around. Why else would EVERYONE claim that they had Cherokee in them?

Old 03-24-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
I have often said that my Choctaw ancestors must have really liked the Scots, Irish and French (and the occasional German thrown in for good measure). So, don't forget the French influence -- there are many, MANY French surnames among the Choctaw people.
Oh I know! My Great Grandfather's last name was Agnew- which is a variation of the original French spelling (that I do not know right off hand). Are you SURE we're not related???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or