U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 03:39 PM

29,988 posts, read 35,848,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
Well, there ya go.

I know of the so-called "Black Irish". Could there have also been the "Black Scots"? Both were heavily influenced by, er, ah, Pictish factors, ya know...
IIRC, if one goes back and studies the migration of the 13 tribes from Israel, those who first ended up in Scotland came over from Ireland, by way of Spain/Portugal. It was the invasion by the Norse who brought the lighter tones/haircolors to the British Isles. At least, that is what I recall reading, I could be mistaken.

Old 03-25-2011, 04:11 PM

13,692 posts, read 15,115,240 times
Quote:
Much has been said about "white people this" and "white people that", and as far as I can tell they've all been referring to those of European extraction. However, in my decidedly unscientific personal experience, the world's whitest people do NOT come from Europe, but from Japan.

I have seen Japanese people, and Japanese females in particular, whose skin is so white as to be nearly transparent. In Japan, it seems, very white skin - particularly on females - seems to be a mark of beauty and desirability. Why else, do you suppose, have Geishas, female actors and entertainers, and other females traditionally worn white makeup?

Thoughts? Comments? Facts? Speculations?

-- Nighteyes
The Japanese have melanin and they will tan if they are out in the sunlight. Some Japanese women take skin care to extraordinary levels to keep their skin white by using bleaching creams and other products, some products are actually called - "whiteness". Ultra pale white skin is desirable in some Asian cultures (and is becoming more widely sought after around the world among other ethnicities) because dark skin is associated with manual physical heavy labor out in the sunlight and a lower socioeconomic class of people. The whiter the skin, the more affluent and upwardly mobile you are perceived to be - it is elitist and solely cultural in some circles to seek whiter skin.

The concept of "whiteness" as a so-called racial trait of a population is a fallacy.

Every human on earth is of African extraction however distantly removed from the continent their ancestry may be. Certain genes code for skin pigment "activated melanocytes" while others are turned off. That's all there is to it.

The whitest people on earth are Albinos. They have their melanocytes turned "off". And albinos can be found in all ethnicities.

Old 03-25-2011, 04:36 PM

959 posts, read 1,114,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
The Japanese have melanin and they will tan if they are out in the sunlight. Some Japanese women take skin care to extraordinary levels to keep their skin white by using bleaching creams and other products, some products are actually called - "whiteness". Ultra pale white skin is desirable in some Asian cultures (and is becoming more widely sought after around the world among other ethnicities) because dark skin is associated with manual physical heavy labor out in the sunlight and a lower socioeconomic class of people. The whiter the skin, the more affluent and upwardly mobile you are perceived to be - it is elitist and solely cultural in some circles to seek whiter skin.

The concept of "whiteness" as a so-called racial trait of a population is a fallacy.

Every human on earth is of African extraction however distantly removed from the continent their ancestry may be. Certain genes code for skin pigment "activated melanocytes" while others are turned off. That's all there is to it.

The whitest people on earth are Albinos. They have their melanocytes turned "off". And albinos can be found in all ethnicities.
Louis Farrakhan or the Black Panthers for example do not believe the concept of Whiteness as a racial trait is a fallacy. They very much believe that Whiteness exists and that it's the number 1 thing that is holding their people back.

Old 03-25-2011, 05:26 PM

3,491 posts, read 5,292,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Blood View Post
Louis Farrakhan or the Black Panthers for example do not believe the concept of Whiteness as a racial trait is a fallacy. They very much believe that Whiteness exists and that it's the number 1 thing that is holding their people back.
Malcolm X originally believed and preached much the same way. He later "saw the light" (for the lack of a better term) and recanted much of his earlier rhetoric.

And then he was assassinated by Elijah Muhammad and the Nation of Islam...

Old 03-27-2011, 08:16 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,377,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
IIRC, if one goes back and studies the migration of the 13 tribes from Israel, those who first ended up in Scotland came over from Ireland, by way of Spain/Portugal. It was the invasion by the Norse who brought the lighter tones/haircolors to the British Isles. At least, that is what I recall reading, I could be mistaken.
There were 12 tribes of Israel.
The Twelve Tribes of Israel

This is why it is written in the Bible that Jesus had 12 disciples. The number had to align with the Old Testament in order to mesh with the New.

This has nothing to do with "whiteness" though.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:45 AM

14,131 posts, read 26,250,313 times
I would consider some of "whitest" folks to be those who came from the Caucasus mountain region (hence "caucasians") between the Black and Caspian Seas in what is now Georgia and the Ossetian region of Russia. The Sarmatian people who lived there were largely tall, blond and blue eyed. The greek myth of the Amazons was based on the Sarmatian women who were fierce warriors and fought on horseback alongside the men. An auxiliary of 5,500 Sarmatian warriors was sent to Northern England and Wales by the Romans in 176 AD to defend the borders and are thought by some to have been the real knights of the round table (if you saw the Clive Owen King Arthur movie, his knights were those Sarmatians).

Old 03-27-2011, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I would consider some of "whitest" folks to be those who came from the Caucasus mountain region (hence "caucasians") between the Black and Caspian Seas in what is now Georgia and the Ossetian region of Russia. The Sarmatian people who lived there were largely tall, blond and blue eyed. The greek myth of the Amazons was based on the Sarmatian women who were fierce warriors and fought on horseback alongside the men. An auxiliary of 5,500 Sarmatian warriors was sent to Northern England and Wales by the Romans in 176 AD to defend the borders and are thought by some to have been the real knights of the round table (if you saw the Clive Owen King Arthur movie, his knights were those Sarmatians).
"White" people came from Africa... same as "brown" people and "black" people. That was the point of OP's post. We're all the same. Skin color just happens to be the most obvious of a very minor gene expression.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:11 AM

18,563 posts, read 15,771,473 times
Quote:
Much has been said about "white people this" and "white people that", and as far as I can tell they've all been referring to those of European extraction. However, in my decidedly unscientific personal experience, the world's whitest people do NOT come from Europe, but from Japan.

I have seen Japanese people, and Japanese females in particular, whose skin is so white as to be nearly transparent. In Japan, it seems, very white skin - particularly on females - seems to be a mark of beauty and desirability. Why else, do you suppose, have Geishas, female actors and entertainers, and other females traditionally worn white makeup?

Thoughts? Comments? Facts? Speculations?

-- Nighteyes
The preference for lighter skin is consistent throughout cultures and rose independently of European influence. Anthropologist believe that since working in the fields exposed one to the sun which made them darker.

Wealthier indiciduals didn't have to work in the fields and their skin didn't get as dark.

So lighter skin became a signal of wealth which is attractive across the board.

Old 03-27-2011, 11:06 AM

14,131 posts, read 26,250,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milleka View Post
"White" people came from Africa... same as "brown" people and "black" people. That was the point of OP's post. We're all the same. Skin color just happens to be the most obvious of a very minor gene expression.
That's not how I read it. The OP's post speculated that the Japanese were the whitest people in the world. I was merely pointing out another group that was a source of fair skin and hair. I doubt folks were "white" when they left Africa but probably developed that trait after arriving in Asia and Eurasia.

Old 03-27-2011, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
That's not how I read it. The OP's post speculated that the Japanese were the whitest people in the world. I was merely pointing out another group that was a source of fair skin and hair. I doubt folks were "white" when they left Africa but probably developed that trait after arriving in Asia and Eurasia.
No- they weren't white when they left Africa, but they took those genes with them. To get a good perspective on how natural selection and gene expression works, read "The Selfish Gene" by Richard Dawkins.

OP is Native American. So am I. A lot of us around here get tired of the constant "indian" and black threads from people who are clueless in the matter. This thread was started sorta tongue-in-cheek.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or