Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 08:40 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,463,557 times

Advertisements

Northern Scotland has very little sunlight. Ought to keep the locals pasty white. Scandavia, Finland and the Baltics might be slightly whiter.

Iceland, too.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:49 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,999,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Northern Scotland has very little sunlight. Ought to keep the locals pasty white. Scandavia, Finland and the Baltics might be slightly whiter.

Iceland, too.
Because of natural selection. Lighter skin allows for more sunlight penetration for vitamin D production in areas farther away from the equator. People living nearer the equator receive more sunlight per day, can have darker skin and produce a sufficient amount of vitamin D.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:33 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,989,240 times
What does any of this have to do with genealogy? Mods can this thread be moved? It doesn't belong here.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:10 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,667,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
What does any of this have to do with genealogy? Mods can this thread be moved? It doesn't belong here.
Well, move it then but I'm interested in genealogy and to me the origins and migrations of different groups is extremely interesting. Maybe we need a special forum for anthropology if this kind of discussion can't be held in here.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Well, move it then but I'm interested in genealogy and to me the origins and migrations of different groups is extremely interesting. Maybe we need a special forum for anthropology if this kind of discussion can't be held in here.
It IS interesting! I would love to see a group on Anthropology. For now, this is closest thing we've got.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:59 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,892,688 times
I think one of the whitest places was this town in norther NJ:

weirdnj.com - ALBINO VILLAGE

Old 03-24-2011, 11:22 AM

950 posts, read 1,514,970 times
Even though most Japanese people are pale, they are able to get darker tans than people of European descent. Japanese with tans can end up as dark as a Filipino, Cambodian, or Pacific Islander.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:39 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,257,297 times
I can Poll anthropology if anyone is interested.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:51 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,509,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
As the thread originator, this was exactly my point (sneaky li'l devil, ain't I????).

People have been making a big danged deal over "White people claiming Indian ancestry" and the like.

Trust me on this, people, skin color has very, VERY little to do with genealogy, PARTICULARLY with American Indians. Anyone who believes or claims otherwise, with all due respect, needs to re-examine the source and quality of their information. (The same, by the way, goes for those who claim that American Indians have "mongoloid features." Some do, and some do not.)

Some of the "white Indian" posters, I suspect, are falling victim to stereotypical images and "Hollywood typecasting". The simple truth is that American Indians have considerable differences in the "color" and "darkness" of their skins. Have trouble with this? Then simply take a hard look at the extreme diversity of the lands our ancestors occupied. Look at the variations in the amount of sunlight, how direct or indirect it was, and whether there were any environmental factors (forests, etc.) that influenced exposure.

Now, consider the naturally-occurring individual genetic variation.

With all respect due to everyone, can we just stop all this "white Indian" bullsh*t?

-- Nighteyes (one-half Mississippi Choctaw, one-quarter Scots-Irish, one-quarter German)

Last edited by Nighteyes; 03-24-2011 at 02:00 PM..

Old 03-24-2011, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
As the thread originator, this was exactly my point (sneaky li'l devil, ain't I????).

People have been making a big danged deal over "White people claiming Indian ancestry" and the like.

Trust me on this, people, skin color has very, VERY little to do with genealogy, PARTICULARLY with American Indians. Anyone who believes or claims otherwise, with all due respect, needs to re-examine the source and quality of their information. (The same, by the way, goes for those who claim that American Indians have "mongoloid features." Some do, and some do not.)

Some of the "white Indian" posters, I suspect, are falling victim to stereotypical images and "Hollywood typecasting". The simple truth is that American Indians have considerable differences in the "color" and "darkness" of their skins. Have trouble with this? Then simply take a hard look at the extreme diversity of the lands our ancestors occupied. Look at the variations in the amount of sunlight, how direct or indirect it was, and whether there were any environmental factors (forests, etc.) that influenced exposure.

Now, consider the naturally-occurring individual genetic variation.

With all respect due to everyone, can we just stop all this "white Indian" bullsh*t?

-- Nighteyes (one-half Mississippi Choctaw, one-quarter Scots-Irish, one-quarter German)
I love you.

BTW- You look just like all of my Cherokee relatives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy